E test question

mike rousseau

Can your check engine light be on when you go for an E test...?

My wife's car is getting a code that has to do with her transmission.... And she was told if you check engine light is on you fail... But the transmission has nothing to do with emissions....

Anybody know the answer to this one?

If it's not apart of the emissions equipment, it shouldn't fail. They'll pull the codes when she gets it done.

Also, don't try and pull the battery to reset the light, all you'll do is reset the readiness monitors as well, then you'll DEFINITELY not pass, lol.

Edited by BillM

Hopefully your code is intermittant and does not come back right away after clearing. If it comes back within a couple of hours of operation then you need to repair the problem, clear the codes and drive it for a couple of days so it will be in a ready state to test. Hopefully you know someone with a code reader or laptop/cable/software that can do this. Or as Bill mentioned you could unhook the battery overnight. k

Darn money grab! I believe southern Ontario is the only region left in Canada doing this Bull.

they wont pull the code to see what the problem is, a CEL is an automatic fail

Man, read the website.. lol.. Like I said before, if it's not emissions related, you shouldn't fail the test.

Your vehicle’s computer will also register a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) that indicates there is something wrong with the vehicle’s emissions control system that needs to be repaired. The Drive Clean test equipment connects to the on-board diagnostics computer and retrieves diagnostic information as part of the vehicle emissions inspection.

Edited by BillM

Just some aside info for yah... if your vehicle is older than 1999, then a check engine light will not fail the test. The vehicle is subjected to the old test and can pass that as long as it meets the old requirements. Vehilce "newer" than 1999 has to be put through the "new" test. One of the (OK, only!) advantages of owning an older vehicle.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Just some aside info for yah... if your vehicle is older than 1999, then a check engine light will not fail the test. The vehicle is subjected to the old test and can pass that as long as it meets the old requirements. Vehilce "newer" than 1999 has to be put through the "new" test. One of the (OK, only!) advantages of owning an older vehicle.

HH

Yes...I should have noted that. Not sure what year the OP vehicle is

I have a couple of customers that have a reoccurring code and light on; that myself and a number of shops haven't been able to find the root cause. How I got them through the test, is I'd cleared the code and take it for the test before the light came back on; knowing that it was going to fail due to the monitors not being in the ready state.

Let the customer drive it for a week or so and do the same thing. After a vehicle has failed twice due to monitors not ready; they will run a 2 speed idle test and if the tail pipe is clean you get a pass.

Dan.

I don't see how any garage can automatically fail a vehicle with a check engine light on when the Ministry says in some cases the car could still pass, depending on the reason for the light. Maybe the garages that are handing out auto fails for it should be sent back for retraining as they obviously didn't get it right the first time. A few thousand dollar fine might smarten them up too.

The whole thing is a total scam.

I have a CEL on in my car, that has nothing to do with emissions, and they won't even hook my car up.

I refuse to have it repaired. Could be a million little things wrong. I'm driving with an expired sticker right now, and when I get pulled over, I plan on going to court to fight it. Whether I win or lose, the judge is going to hear a long story,because the exaust coming out my tailpipe is perfectly fine, and would pass any other test easily.

They have to catch me first ;)

If I can make it through the year, I'll but a sticker next year when I'm not required to do emissions!!

S.

The whole thing is a total scam.

I have a CEL on in my car, that has nothing to do with emissions, and they won't even hook my car up.

I refuse to have it repaired. Could be a million little things wrong. I'm driving with an expired sticker right now, and when I get pulled over, I plan on going to court to fight it. Whether I win or lose, the judge is going to hear a long story,because the exaust coming out my tailpipe is perfectly fine, and would pass any other test easily.

They have to catch me first ;)

If I can make it through the year, I'll but a sticker next year when I'm not required to do emissions!!

S.

You do realize you are also driving without valid insurance?

No valid sticker invalidates your insurance no matter if you've already paid or not.

Your insurance company doesn't give a rat's arse if your trying to make a point. If they can slide on any claim they will.

Also the fines for this are far more than no valid sticker.

I don't see how any garage can automatically fail a vehicle with a check engine light on when the Ministry says in some cases the car could still pass, depending on the reason for the light. Maybe the garages that are handing out auto fails for it should be sent back for retraining as they obviously didn't get it right the first time. A few thousand dollar fine might smarten them up too.

It's not the garages that are handing out the automatic fails, it's MOE and they (the garages for the most part) are following the rules set out by MOE. Believe me this is one of the most stringently enforced programs that has ever been put out by the government. If an inspector is not following procedures properly, it doesn't take long before he and the test facility are fined, suspended or booted out of the program.

It's went the inspector doesn't explain the process and rules properly is when the confusion starts. When a vehicle comes in with the check engine light on, they are not suppose to refuse to test the vehicle; but explain that the vehicle will likely fail because of and leave the choice to the owner whether to have it tested or not.

The inspectors that are refusing to test the vehicle are just being lazy because they know they are going to have to go through the whole procedure and then have to face the owner telling them it has failed and why.

Why test a vehicle that we know or think will fail; the test will give the owner the trouble code letting them know what system is affected and it entitles the owner the use of the $450.00 repair cost limit for a conditional pass.

As for codes dealing with things like transmission that has turned on the light; hell yea that affects emissions. If there's a clutch pack slipping or the converter isn't locking up; you are burning more fuel to get the vehicle moving or keeping it at speed.

The only time a check engine light will come on is when there's an issue with a system that may increase emissions by 15%; that is written right in the base program of every vehicle. So just because you cannot feel any running issues when the light pops on doesn't mean that it's just the dumb light.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

The only time a check engine light will come on is when there's an issue with a system that may increase emissions by 15%; that is written right in the base program of every vehicle. So just because you cannot feel any running issues when the light pops on doesn't mean that it's just the dumb light.

Dan.

Where did you come up with this? That's absolutely incorrect, lol.

Being an inter-provincial licensed technician (Mechanic if you're not sure what that is) for the last 37 years; along with being a repair tech and inspector for the drive clean program. I have operated my own repair facility for the last 30 year and work with the local high schools in their coop programs teaching the young and up coming techs.

I could list all the up-dating classes I have taken and taught but why bother.

And YES OBD I and OBD II were solely brought out for emissions sake; but now that the electronics have improved so much, we're also benefiting with fuel mileage and power.

Do your homework before you contradict someone.

Dan.

You do realize you are also driving without valid insurance?

No valid sticker invalidates your insurance no matter if you've already paid or not.

Your insurance company doesn't give a rat's arse if your trying to make a point. If they can slide on any claim they will.

Also the fines for this are far more than no valid sticker.

A buddy of mine is somewhat of a "rebel" for lack of a better term. He refused to pay for the plate sticker claiming that it was a reduculous cost. Ran his company vehicle for four years before he was pulled over for not having a valid license plate sticker. The fine at the time was around $120.00. He figured that he was ahead by well over four hundred before the fine.

I don't believe he has a plate sticker on his curent vehicle either....

HH