Laker jigging

davey buoy

I know this has been talked about somewhat.All my reels are spooled with 8/30 pp.My question is,should you use a leader of some sort? Maybe mono,fluro etc.What would you recommend?We'll have bad boyz or equivalent,jig heads,minnows,salted tails of different colors etc.At that depth(100'plus)is braid good enough?

Kind of want to put ourselves in the best odds of catching a fish or two. Thanks in advance.

What pound Fluoro would you recommend?.I use the micro swivels for steel heading as well.Not afraid of a back to back uni knot as well

Run what you do steelheading... 4-6lb Drennan or Phantom 5.6 or 6.6 is what I run if I'm jigging out on SImcoe. No need to go crazy.

My only real experience with jigging lakers is on the ice. I have 8lb Berkley XL or 8lb Seaguar Senshi spooled on my reels. I run it straight to the lure. I think either would work OK as a leader. In the past I’ve tried 10lb PowerPro and an 8lb Maxima Ultragreen leader and caught fish as well.

I run braid on everything I own other than the ultralights for panfish and attach a leader of 17 pound Berkley Vanish with a micro chain leader.

The flouro is a must here on Erie as it's virtually invisible in the crystal clear water. I started with Vanish and swear by it for me. I'm sure I'm going to be schooled on other superlines but my budget and preference is Vanish.

The braid is great for deep water as it creates much less drag and really is a must for a hookset from any depth.

Mono is great as a backer and shallow water panfishing, maybe the latter. It would be like using a level wind knuckle buster and glass rod today with all the superlines available today would seem just silly. But that is my opinion and mine alone. I stillfish with my brothers ex father in law and he uses his old knuckle buster with the original nylon braid for smallies on the Maitland river, watching him finger the line with a shinner on it is really neat, he has perfected it over the last 80years, yes 80, he's 85.

What's not neat is watching him out fish me 3 to 1. So who knows, you can catch them or you can't.

And oh Drifter was that pic taken this week? Sorry but I'll fish the Florida Keys in Florida on a bad day over any great ice fishing day anytime while I can still stand on this great planet of ours. Just not in the DNA, the first time I went Italy to see where my grand parents came from I saw palm trees in Rome, I'll take palm trees over no trees any day.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

And oh Drifter was that pic taken this week? Sorry but I'll fish the Florida Keys in Florida on a bad day over any great ice fishing day anytime while I can still stand on this great planet of ours. Just not in the DNA, the first time I went Italy to see where my grand parents came from I saw palm trees in Rome, I'll take palm trees over no trees any day.

That's late March. ;)

I have no issues with fishing the salt either.

I'm heading down to FLA in late February for 6 weeks in 2014. :D