Problem with PowerPro Super8Slick

okumasheffield

Lost 2 3/4oz Rapala crankbaits due to line breakage this past week while long bombing from shore using 7' Medium spinning outfit with 30lb PowerPro Super8Slick

I believe the line breakage was caused by the crazy 'birdnests' I was getting once every 30 casts with no apparent reasons. (never before!)

Since

- I had never had this problem with any mono/floro/braided lines on the market

- I was not casting against the wind

- There was no excessive line slack when working lures/retrieving lines

- It was my 1st time using PowerPro Slick,

I could only think the line was the problem

what do you guys think?

Added:

The 'birdnests' were on the line itself, not on the spool

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

Birdsnests with a spinning outfit???? Is it possible you spooled your line too loose? I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you down or anything, but that shouldn't be happening at all unless there is operator error involved IMO. For the record, I don't like super slick either, I much prefer the original. But the one set up I have with super slick has def not performed like you stated?

I had lots of trouble with large knots come flying off the spinning reel spool casting 30 lb PP braid.

especially with jerking, or jigging.

Guys on this sight gave me great advice.

1. lighter line. I now use 10 lb.

2. do what you can to have the line spool tightly.

3. Flip the bail manually after every cast.

4. after bail flipped sweep the rod away from the cast direction to pick up slack before reeling in.

lighter and tighter -problem solved.

i love power pro slick 8 .....sounds like line twist or retrieving slack line?

my wife and kids tend to do this often on spinning gear keep an eye out you get that one loop pop off then reel line over top of it and all hell can break loose.

the next cast will"grab the loop and pull more line off, you end up with 2 ends coming off the spool at a time, most cases you can unwind it easily some times not so easy

15lb PP S8Slick has been my go-to braid for chucking spoon off piers, nothing wrong with the line and I usually out cast other anglers.

I'm not dealing with a lot of abrasion resistance and landing fish around 30lb has been no problem.

Never had snap issues like you mentioned. (I'm on a spinning reel)

My parents both use superslick 20lb braid on spinning gear. No problems what so ever and their not the best fisherman. All i've told them to do is close the bail manually. Probably the best braid outside of daiwa samurai and sunline sx1 imo

I had lots of trouble with large knots come flying off the spinning reel spool casting 30 lb PP braid.

4. after bail flipped sweep the rod away from the cast direction to pick up slack before reeling in.

And that is why mono is on my spinning gear...flip this sweep that bah!!!!!

i love power pro slick 8 .....sounds like line twist or retrieving slack line?

my wife and kids tend to do this often on spinning gear keep an eye out you get that one loop pop off then reel line over top of it and all hell can break loose.

the next cast will"grab the loop and pull more line off, you end up with 2 ends coming off the spool at a time, most cases you can unwind it easily some times not so easy

That is what I thought as well. However, I could not witness it happening whenever I paid close attention to my line/spool.

Had to cut lotsa line off due to the crazy knots

Good call.

Let me try it & report back

I use a slight variation of this.

- Rather than flipping the bail manually, I give the handle about a quarter turn to flip the bail.

- Then sweep the rod to take the slack out of the line.

- Then begin my retrieve.

This should produce the same results as the technique described about but is a little quicker and more natural once you are used to it.

I had no idea a mono backing was a must when I first spooled my braid on 4 years ago. I've had that line on so long I can't remember the brand, I think it might be Spyderwire, I'll check. I would have to change my mono at least once before Bass opening and maybe twice before the years end. Never mono again other than maybe an ultra light, and even then I always use a flouro leader for the clear water here on Erie.

I do however tie on a 1oz weight to the lines the first time I put the boat in the water in the spring. I'll troll out until I can see the spool, then reel it in while still trolling with the drag tight. I will do that every few months or so. It is used probably 10 months a year and sees salt water down south. Thousands of casts and I haven't lost a yard of it. I have fluorocarbon on all my baitcasters, but haven't made a cast this year since I rigged my boat with downriggers and dipsy's for walleye and rainbow this summer. After hauling in these silly sized deep water fish for the last month plus here I may not make a cast for sometime. My fishing fund is in overdraft from running 25 plus miles a day, so I may be casting sooner than latter.

Off topic, I love the big fish but don't love the big fuel bills. Have spent 8 times what I spent last year by now in fuel and oil.