Sunshine Lake Fly in Trip, great times and fishing.

fishnsled

A bit of an overdue report but here we go.

I had my buddy Ken out for a day of fishing around the end of May, early June, and along with the normal chatter and fish catching the topic of doing a fishing trip came up. We didn’t do one the previous year and I think we were going through withdrawals. So the question was where to go? And more importantly where would there be an opening being so last minute? Time was important this trip and it would have to be a short trip and if that was the case, a shorter drive would be nice. The other thing to consider was that Ken was having surgery a couple of days after that day of fishing and how would his health be 4 weeks from then for doing a trip at the end of June or early July?

We started looking at the Cochrane and Chapleau areas and were considering a drive in outpost camp. We thought we had it all figured out when the outfitter contacted us to say we were double booked and that the cabin was not available. He did offer any alternative for us and had some other dates but that did not work for us. So what does one do now? Contact Mike (Solopaddler) and get his expert opinion. He had a couple of suggestions for other outfitters for a drive-in type trip but strongly suggested we give Hearst Air a call and see about doing a fly in. We first contacted the drive-in camps but no availability and then called Hearst Air. In the end we should have just started there.

I can’t say enough about Hearst Air, fantastic people to deal with!! Very accommodating, worked with us to plan a trip that was within our time frame and budget. We ended up going to Sunshine Lake which sounded promising for a smaller lake. It ended up going way beyond what we expected. Our trip up was uneventful and upon arrival at the air base we paid up, got weighed in and were in the air in no time. About a ½ hour flight in the Beaver going in and it was great weather too. In fact we had great weather the entire trip and didn’t see a drop of rain. Daytime temps were in the mid 20’s and evenings were cool and great for sleeping. Hit 7 degrees the one night.

The accommodations were very nice. 2 bedrooms with 2 beds in each and a large living/kitchen area with a wood stove (yes we needed it a couple of morning). It’s the only cabin I’ve seen did not show any signs of a mouse being there. Small deck with a BBQ, a Naden boat with a Merc to push us along with all the gas one could need. Could ask for much more but hope for some good fishing, Sunshine did not disappoint!

Hundreds of fish were caught with our final number being at 326 fish boated over our 4 day stay. Although we didn’t get any pike over 40 inches, the diary in the cabin says they are in there. Walleye were all in the pan sized and quite entertaining to catch. Lots of double headers and fast and furious action scattered with a few lulls in the day to keep us humbled. Our longest lull lasted about an hour and a half on the last night of fishing and we were beginning to wonder what had happened with the fish. Well I guess they just needed a break from eating as the action picked up again to what the “norm” for the lake was.

This was probably the best lake for numbers that we have fished on a fly in trip, just incredible. A perfect lake to take the kids for the non-stop action. (Looking forward to your report Mike!) We had hoped to sneak in a morning fish on our last day but were quite surprised when we looked out and saw the plane on the lake! Came in on stealth mode, neither of us heard him come in. Luckily we had pretty much had things ready to go. So we packaged up the last couple of things, swept up and got out of the way for the next group. I guess enough of the talk, here’s some pics.

The screen was like this the entire trip.

P1020045.jpg

Ken happy to be on the water and catching fish.

P1020046.jpg

P1020047.jpg

As was I.

P1020049.jpg

First of many double headers.P1020051.jpg

It can get pretty choppy for a little lake.

P1020053.jpg

Life is good.

P1020054.jpg

P1020056.jpg

Started with calmer conditions the next day that did not last.

P1020057.jpg

But the fish kept on biting with the north winds blowing

P1020059.jpg

P1020061.jpg
P1020065.jpg

View was great from the deck in the evening.

P1020070.jpg

P1020071.jpg

Loons were always a welcome sound in the morning.

P1020072.jpg

Lots of these guys around as well.

P1020074.jpg

Always got a fish when we passed by this tree.P1020075.jpg

Like a mirror.P1020076.jpg

A better pike.P1020080_edited-1.jpg
P1020081_edited-1.jpg

Another great sunset.P1020084.jpg

Sunrise was just as nice with the mist on the water.P1020086.jpg

P1020090.jpg

P1020091.jpg

Happy to be on the water again.

P1020088.jpg

While trolling for pike, the walleye seemed to be more interested in biting.

P1020095.jpg

Another double header.P1020098.jpg

Best way to fish, jig and a grub. The pike seemed to really like this colour combination but the walleye would hit it as well.P1020099.jpg

Cabin from the lake

P1020107.jpg

Happy to be on the water.P1020104.jpg

And Ken with a decent fish on our last night out.

P1020110.jpg

P1020111.jpg

All in all just a fantastic time that went by way to fast. We certainly will not hesitate to give Hearst Air a call first for the next time. Thanks again for all of your help in making this trip happen for us Mike, GREATLY appreciated!

Edited by fishnsled

Great report, Will! Looks like you and your bud had a fantastic time. Hearst Air seem to be getting excellent reviews everywhere. Then again, if I got a recommendation from Mike, I wouldn't look anywhere else.

Thanks for sharing and I hope your bud is healing up fast.

True fisherman will turn that 326 into a 652 by 2014 Will. Sure it wasn't 328 when the counter actually slipped off your belt buckle, fell in the muck at the bottom of the boat, and when rubbing it clean you actually set it back a couple fish??? Huh??? Remember that part?

Just messing around bud. Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip with Hearst and really pounded yourselves a couple tonnes of fun out there.

Come on... not a single airplane picture or video.. what kind of fly-in trip is that?? !! :whistling::ninja::D

Sorry Wayne...lol. On the trip in had all the gear on the scales for weigh in, had to go back to the vehicle for something and by then my camera was loaded on the plane. Panic on the exit as well with the camera being loaded. These fine people at Hearst Air are very efficient and don't waste anytime getting you in or out of the camp. Never have I experienced that kind of service before. 2 Thumbs up! :thumbsup_anim:

great report ... I am headed up there in September but different lake

I'm sure that you'll have a great trip and looking forward to your report.

Great report, Will! Looks like you and your bud had a fantastic time. Hearst Air seem to be getting excellent reviews everywhere. Then again, if I got a recommendation from Mike, I wouldn't look anywhere else.

Thanks for sharing and I hope your bud is healing up fast.

Very true Roy, Mike is the guy! Ken is doing much better, thanks.

Outstanding Will, and a very similar experience to what we had. As you said I can't say enough about Hearst Air.

Thanks for the report, mine is coming soon LOL!

Looking forward to your report Mike. You better have some airplane pictures and video to keep Wayne happy. LOL!

Look at the pipes.LOL

Great report

They're Photoshopped. lol!

True fisherman will turn that 326 into a 652 by 2014 Will. Sure it wasn't 328 when the counter actually slipped off your belt buckle, fell in the muck at the bottom of the boat, and when rubbing it clean you actually set it back a couple fish??? Huh??? Remember that part?

Just messing around bud. Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip with Hearst and really pounded yourselves a couple tonnes of fun out there.

So true Bunk! It was amazing trip and catching over 400 fish was just incredible....how am I doing? Just won't make sure that I'm on track for the the numbers for 2014. :D

It was a fun trip and can't wait till the next one.

and how were the beverages at Fanny's???

Hearst has always been top notch in my few visits, they have a good crew and focused on their customer, it's little things that really matter

Never made it to Fanny's, drove straight up and flew in. Hearst Air really is focused on the customer, great first impression.

Have been looking for this report since before I went on vacation to the French!

Looks like a great time, with plenty of fish and great weather.

Glad it worked out for you guys and give my best to Ken in his recovery.

HH

GREAT report Will! Looks like you guys had a blast up there! How come no pictures of the cabin interior? I'd be most interested in that....LOL :tease:

One of these days I will make it on a fly-in....

Mr. Borger has been slacking with his report :whistling: , but I am pretty sure he did a video tour of the camp.