New Deep Cycles. Dekas or Kirkland?

captpierre

Gotta get 2 DC27 batteries for the 24V MinnKota.

Last ones were Dekas with the new boat. Lasted 7 yrs.-not heavily used and babied. Dealer wants $165 each

Costco has Kirkland (don't know who makes them). same size $90 each.

which would you buy?

on line they say fresh is key. Costco's manufactured Apr /13

I have heard good and bad about the deka's. the marina I use used to carry deka and switched to interstate because they had too many coming back. If you got 7 years out of the old ones though, you really can't complain.

I haven't heard anything bad about the kirkland's from Costco and you really can't complain about the price. If I remember correctly they are made by johnston controls.

I know lots of people who use kirkland and deka, both have nothing bad to say about them. If im not mistaken, the same company who makes interstate makes kirkland.

I picked up two trojan 31's, which ran me $150 each. Third year, work great.

Ya, they're both good. I got my last deep cycle at kawartha battery in ptbo. The fella there was saying that the batteries he sells there are the same as the kirklands, just a different label, for less $$$.......so far so good, but I just replaced them this season. Can't think of the name on them atm.....

S.

Please explain "size 31"??

Group sizes (24, 27, 31) for batteries pertains to the physical size of a battery. This does not necessarily give a larger battery more amp/hours.

Gotta get 2 DC27 batteries for the 24V MinnKota.

Last ones were Dekas with the new boat. Lasted 7 yrs.-not heavily used and babied. Dealer wants $165 each

Costco has Kirkland (don't know who makes them). same size $90 each.

which would you buy?

on line they say fresh is key. Costco's manufactured Apr /13

Dekas are made by East Penn MFG. Kirklands are made by Johnson Controls.

i'm looking for a 31 series.

nautilus makes one but i'd like to look at a different brand this time.

who carries trojan batteries? i'm in the orangeville area but work in mississauga so either area.

my costco membership lapsed so kirkland (i dont think they make a 31 series anyway) = no go.

Total battery in Barrie carries Trojan. They also carry a new eco friendly battery that will last 3000 cycles, weighs 70% less than most batteries. A normal lead acid battery will go through approximately 3 - 400 cycles. Now get this it's only $1,299.00. What a deal!!

I figure with my $165.00 Nautilus, if I go through 40 cycles per season that normal battery should last 8 years.

There's a real good read at www.batterystuff.com. Read their tutorials about batteries & chargers. It explains it all!! I just ordered the battery minder. The battery minder has an electronic process which eliminates sulphation of the battery plates. Sulphation is the killer of deep cycle batteries. Also charges at 8 amps, then reduces to 4 amps, then 2 amps as the battery requires it. Can't wait to try it out!

i'm looking for a 31 series.

nautilus makes one but i'd like to look at a different brand this time.

who carries trojan batteries? i'm in the orangeville area but work in mississauga so either area.

my costco membership lapsed so kirkland (i dont think they make a 31 series anyway) = no go.

Raf, if you have a WalMart close by you can get an Everstart ....they used to be called Energizer. They're excellent batteries at a really good price.

thanks Roy, the EverStarts are 27 series. I was hoping to go with a 31 again, just try a different brand. I don't have the specs in front of me but, the 31 series nautilus I have provides significantly more run time than a 27 series.

mind you I could almost get two 27 series everstarts and hook them up in parallel for the cost of a 31 trojan.

Buy a set of everstarts from walmart. They cost about 90 bucks each, you'll get 15 bucks back for each of your old ones, and chances are they won't jerk you around if one of them dies early. You're only running 27's so theres no real need to drop 165 bucks. I've learned my lesson on that.

fyi, Walmart is now carrying 29 series Maxx EverStart DeepCycles for $109

Over the last 4 years;

I had the Nautilus ones crap out on my just after a year.

Both the Kirkland and EverStart deepcycles running great to this day. I keep them on the Ctek trickle charger when not in use