Week of fishing the Timiskaming area (Lake Kipawa)

tbayboy

My wife and I have been going up to Kipawa for the last 3 years. The first time as a dare to see if we'd stay married. We're still together but this year did have its challenge.

We stayed at 3 seasons camp again (http://www.3seasonscamp.com/) and it continues to be a great place, hell my biggest fish of the trip came 200 yards away from the docks. Kipawa is known for it's walleye and lake trout but there's also some big pike (and some bigger ones in the back lakes) and the small mouth have been growing and spreading out in the last few seasons.

Lake Kipawa is about 6 hours from Toronto - we drove up to North Bay friday before the cottage traffic gets to bad and spend the night there. From there it's about a 90 minute drive to Laniel, QC where we're picked up by the lodge for the boat ride into the camp. He's got 7 cabins there that hold anywhere up to 8 guys (more if you want to get friendly I suppose). By the time we'd unpacked and sorted our stuff it was probably noon on Saturday. Then it was just a matter of fishing as much as you wanted until we were taken back to the docks the next Saturday Morning.

On the whole fishing seemed slower to me but this is only our 3rd year up so we're still figuring some things out and others at the camp did quite well. We still had several good fish feeds and caught walleye every day. Biggest for me was a 23" caught on a white spinner bait cast up into lumber on shore looking for pike (love it when you get eyes that way). Most of the fish were small this year though - spent most nights sorting through 10-13" fish to find a few in the 15-18 range.

Pretty much all of our eyes were caught in 8-12' of water using leaches, either under a float or vertically jigged (worms also worked though). Points and cliff faces were the primary spots we found fish in. Trolling wind blown shores also produced a few - Lost a giant trolling a chartreuse shad rap (yeah yeah, the one that got away) and picked up a few trolling worm harnesses as well.

Weather was mixed - cool and rainy the first couple days then blue skies and hot (event spent a couple afternoons swimming and picnicing instead of fishing). Water temps went from 66 to 71 and back to 67 again on Friday (depending on where you were of course). The bugs were pretty bad - not "oh my god get me the hell out of here" but bad enough that we didn't bother trying the back lakes (those trails would have been murder) and my wife is still not sure if she'll let me take her back - they really liked her :(

Anyhow, just thought I'd share a little report - here's some pictures and a short video of some classic jigging for eyes.

First of the trip:

9171028366_22f31cabdb_c.jpg

Weapons:

9177618972_27f2883c02_c.jpg

IMG_0124 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

The warcraft:

9169812533_25cbfc8b2b_c.jpg

IMG_2513 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

The locals:

9172384288_ea124b62ab_c.jpg

IMG_2629 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Before...

9170198777_d8fac602ba_c.jpg

IMG_0462 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

And after (Beer batter deep fry - mmmmm)

9177630172_b9d464abce_c.jpg

IMG_0135 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

The show off....

9177632602_d7cbebc858_c.jpg

IMG_0141 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Not all hers I'd like to point out

9175419589_99d257cee6_c.jpg

IMG_0143 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

And Mr. Grumpy

9175422221_f4708401fb_c.jpg

IMG_0147 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

A snack?

9175427451_74c4b309bf_c.jpg

IMG_0155 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Poached in lemon and herbs

9175435163_65062cfec6_c.jpg

IMG_0163 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Picnic time

9170238311_6c0f0304f3_c.jpg

IMG_0473 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Just after he tried to pee on me

9170279305_7e8621948c_c.jpg

IMG_2759 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Fishwich!

9175455683_c6db7db826_c.jpg

IMG_0188 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Smallie:

9177673526_87ea6c9711_c.jpg

IMG_0191 by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

And a video:

my friend goes to kipawa every year as well. he claims (and has pics to back it up) that it is also a very good lake trout lake when the walleye arent biting. I know he also uses jigheads a lot of the time and also trolls for walleye too. nice report!

Yep, lakers are a big draw as well. I don't think you see anything like Simcoe size but it's a great way to spend the afternoon when the suns too high for the walleye bite. One Quebec gentlemen that was out this year did nothing but laker fishing (trolling spoons down main channels).

Kipawa is my favorite place in my small world. I love it!! My best fishing vacations happened there along with great partying back in the day as we usually had 2-3 cabins at Corbeau Lodge at first and then moved to Alwaki lodge as it was better suited to our needs.

Kinda funny, back when we were going to Kipawa it was mostly about Lakers but I realized after a while the value of late evening walleye fishing and party hearty later. My pb pickerel of over 11lb. came at 10:30 pm in the back corner of Corbeau Island. My partner caught a 10.5 lb Grey that week too, so we won the whole weekly lodge derby for biggest pickerel and trout and made some good coin. All out of my 14 ft tinny lol.

I know the "Hub"section best and down to Hunters Lake area. Never caught or ever even heard of a smb being caught. I hope they stay in the Laniel end as I can't see how they wouldn't hurt the Walleye fishery.

TbayBoy we always caught plenty of 3lb+ picks and enough 5lb.+ to gloat over around the table lol. I know 3 Seasons is a good camp but its at the top end of the whole system. By being in the "hub" section of Kipawa, which is the best part of the system IMO, your options are far greater for travel in many directions for exploration. Plus I think you will catch more larger fish. I frequent Kipawa.net and I faithfully read the many reports every year. Great site.Tons of info on techniques for up there too. Many, Many Americans are totally in love with Kipawa and travel days to go there. I know why, and it's only a 5 hour trip for me.

Best advice I could give you would be to check out Alwaki Lodge for next year. You won't regret it. Cheers

Awesome report! I fished Kipawa for about 3 summers in a row and its a great fishery. A very good friend of mine owns a lodge up that way.

Its a special place....impossible for me to get drunk up there for some reason.

I plan on going back at least once this summer and once in the fall.

And yes there are some HUGE pike there.

Quick story:
One morning we are eating breakfast on the dock and we see a school of fall fish swim right underneath us. So i jokingly say watch a big pike come out now. There is a big rock about 10 feet away and what do you know a monster comes from right behind and torpedoes right through the school. It was awesome to see

(event spent a couple afternoons swimming and picnicing instead of fishing).

What the heck were you thinking?? LOL.

Great report Sean! Looks like a great time...and perfect to share it with your better looking half!!!

(event spent a couple afternoons swimming and picnicing instead of fishing).

What the heck were you thinking?? LOL.

It's all part of the deal Cliff - gotta keep her happy so that there's a next year on Kipawa :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Only 4 weeks til Rainy Lake in NW Ontario - twitching already!

Edited by TbayBoy

Great report and awesome pictures!!!

I've been contemplating trying this lake for a few years now.

My wife and I always go to Nip but I think I will try kip this fall after reading your report.

Do you if the lodge you stayed at allows dogs and how are their prices?