Bringing Lobster Home from NB

Big Cliff

My intention is to bring home a BIG ( picked up an Igloo 150 Qt. Marine at CTC this morning Reg. $199.00 on special for $99.00) cooler of lobster when we return from our trip the end of July. One thought was to try to pick them up somewhere around Bar Harbour Maine and come up from there because it would cut my driving time by quite a bit but I can't seem to find any diffinitive answer about bringing live lobster from the US into Canada.

The other option would be to load up with them in St. John NB (Lobster season will be in full swing there at the end of July) and come all the way up and back through Quebec and Montreal. That would be about 19 hours of driving even if we did it on a Saturday to avoid rush hour traffic.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have seen how the local fish guy gets them up here. You need a big LIVE tank . What Shane said. Get hem cooked if you can,and pack lots of ice. When you return,whens dinner? LOL

Edited by Misfish

I don't know if this is an option for you Cliff. But when I wasn't down there, I'd order as many as I wanted and they'd ship to me live the next day (your travel time). Neighbours and friends would take all that I couldn't use. Quite reasonable as well.

Cliff the freshwater in the ice will kill them they are usually shipped in a cool moist environment. The cooler packed with fake ice on the bottom a layer of seaweed, lobster, seaweed , lobster, seaweed then fake ice will keep for 24 hours. I can't answer on the legality of crossing the border with them though.

Art

I've done what you want to do many times and I have family members who work in the lobster business in cape Breton. You've got the cooler, so I'll start after that. Lobsters are typically shipped with a few frozen gel packs and a few wet fiber cloths (soaked in salt water). When packed like this they will last 48 hours no problem. The lobsters are packed dry (not in water) all they require is cold tempeture and a little moisture. Pack a bag of salt water to steam them with when you get home. You should expect to pay $3.50 to $5 per pound from the fishermen. Good luck!!

Heading that way Friday but we have no room for a big cooler to bring any home live...we do however have room for a butane stove and a pot so we can cook some up on the beach ...

Cliff, looks like you have a nice cooler. bringing live stuff across the border may be difficult.

Roy has the solutions. Take the cooler back and it will buy you live lobster here from there . . .

OR sell the cooler for 150 even better. A member was looking to replace his Coleman. :)

Part of a Gov't document of items allowed from USA to Canada for ya Cliff!

Products allowed into Canada from
the United States
This is a list of commonly imported food, animal and plant products and the guidelines for importing them from the United States. Because pest and disease situations are constantly changing, these requirements may be adjusted at any time.
Even though these items are allowed into Canada, you still must declare them on your declaration form.
Some items do need documents to accompany them. For more information, go to the "When are documents required?" section.
Animal fat or suet

• up to 20 kilograms per person

Baked goods, candies, etc.

• no goods containing meat

Coniferous wreaths and Christmas trees

• some restrictions apply for items from states that are infested with gypsy moth

See "List of North American Gypsy Moth Infested or Suspected Infested Areas of Canada and the United States". Or contact the CFIA National Import Service Centre (NISC).
Conifers and garden plants

• restricted

Contact the CFIA National Import Service Centre (NISC) for more information.
Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)

• up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less

Fish and seafood

• all species except
  • pufferfish
  • Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis)

Flowers: cut

• restrictions on coniferous foliage/green cones
  • must not be for propagation

There may be some restrictions depending on the type of flowers and where they come from. Use the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) to confirm if a specific item is allowed.
Fruits and vegetables, including herbs: dried

• up to 15 packages per person
  • but not more than 250 kilograms

Fruits and vegetables, including herbs: frozen or canned

• fruits
  • up to 15 frozen packages or 15 cans per person
  • but not more than 250 kilograms
  • vegetables
  • up to 20 kilograms of frozen or chilled vegetables per person

Fruits and vegetables: fresh

• one bag up to 4 kilograms of US number 1 potatoes per person and the bag must be commercially packaged
  • 15 packages or less up to 250 kilograms of fresh fruits and vegetables per person (excluding potatoes)
  • must be free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and/or plant debris
  • some restrictions on some fresh fruit and vegetables from California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
  • in British Columbia (BC): restrictions on fresh apples, stone fruit and potatoes

Use Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) to confirm if the product is allowed before bringing it into Canada.
Game animal carcasses

• with a hunter's permit and/or licence
Edited by Joey

After Joeye, take it back and don't bother;! I went Europe for three weeks last year and after reading all of the regs, I tasted as much as I could and came home with only with a pile of laundry.

It's only a tax grab! Or can you step in this room and . . . DECLARE!

Going through customs once and declaring is one thing. It's the second crossing with goods that will be problematic. You are far better off have the lobster shipped fresh to arrive at your home the day after you are home.

Lobster are shipped all over the world,trucks,planes,boats,etc.

They are hardly ever shipped in water,,,just like a live well in your boat,it would need aeration...expensive and just not needed.

Keep them cool(fridge temp) don't freeze them and moist...seaweed/rockweed is good so is newspaper soaked in salt water.

When there shipped on planes they go in cardboard boxes,trucks they are just in 120 lbs crates.

Look for some good hard shelled ones,with all there legs and claws because they can bleed out.

Even if you get home and there is few dead(within 24 hrs),as long as they were keep cool,they're safe to cook and I bet you can't taste the difference.

I think aplumma's method would work well.

Cold Packs ,onbottom of cooler wet news paper on top of cold packs, lobster,.wet newspaper again and then cold packs this setup will give you close to 2 days if they come out of water

I dont think you can come across with live could be wrong never tried it always tstuck to the canadian route but the method i have giving you is rock solid i have been doing it that way for 30 years plastic pop bottles frozen with water work great as well .

If you go the calis route stop at OZZIES on the side of the road and order the clams and a side lobster roll you wont regret it and you may want to build a house there

http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2008/08/06/new-brunswick-ossies-lunch/

Cheers

Peter