Pike Opener! ** Picture Heavy **

Pike season finally opened in Simcoe County, long have I been waiting for this sweet,sweet day. I'm going to be honest, I hate pike, I really do. But until bass season opens, those slimy little effers are my best friends. Plus there are lots of pike tournaments to enter, and regardless of my dislike for them, I can usually catch em pretty good.

We arrive at the lake at about 645am and launch the boat, get to our spot and start fishing. My buddy Noel was up for the weekend, and excited to try out his first baitcast setup and oversized X-Rap ,which he purchased at Bass Pro last night. Anyways, first cast, Noel lands about a 4 pound OOS largie, nice way to christen the combo, however, not our target species. About 5 minutes later, I hooked up on a 6 pound OOS largie on a big rogue. Okay, I love bass fishing, but I'm not one for OOS fishing, especially when there's a chance that the fish are about to spawn. So off we went to a new spot, we were throwing spinnerbaits as the water was slightly shallower and I pulled out a nice 34 inch pike which hit less than 10ft from the boat!

stevespics054.jpg

We caught a few more 24-26 inchers, then headed out to a new spot.

We fished a deep break .. 17-25feet with deep diving jerkbaits and Noel landed a big pike which was hooked deep, so quick pic, then released, not to be included in our group shot.

stevespics046.jpg

At this point, the sun came out, the wind died down, and even in 10 feet of water, fish were visible on bottom. X-Raps, spinnerbaits and flukes it didnt really matter, the fish were hitting them. All in all, we landed about 20 pike. All fish were live released following some pictures. Good day out!

stevespics055.jpg

stevespics058.jpg

Nice pics - I guess you're not a C&R guy....

He did say all were released after some photo's, however hard to tell with that last pic!!

Great looking fish. Well done!

Edited by Pinch

He did say all were released after some photo's, however hard to tell with that last pic!!

Great looking fish. Well done!

theres nothing wrong with keeping fish aslong as you follow the regs... not trying to start anything

Edited by bassmaster4

All fish were live released, but seeing as I dont get to see my buddy very often, we wanted a pic of both of us with some fish, which we got at the docks, then the fish were released, and all swam off immediately. I keep the occasional trout, some walleye, and usually lots of perch and crappie when I target them, but bass and pike, no sir.

SS. don't worry about it man. I personally don't keep pike, I dont care for them, I have not kept a bass in 8 years, love them to much to eat them. But pretty much come ice fishing season, I start eating some more fish. Open water, the fish get to go home, but like I said, I dont get to see my buddy too often, so we like to get the pics together when we get out and have a good day. Good livewells, some pickling salt and a constant recirculation does wonders.

it wasnt just that one pike that was skinny either, all of them were snakes. No fatties this year's opener, all skinny and HUNGRY!

are you kidding me? my god this is getting sad when people sart negative comments about people keeping pike... :rolleyes:

Just curious, why would you say that? Are pike inferior game fish in your eyes? At least they are native to our province, unlike some salmonoids and trouts I could name that people get all bent out of shape about keeping.

Nice report BTW. Looks like a great day out!