NF Question for the clever folks

NAW

I finally own my very first brand new BBQ. I've been getting free hand-me-downs and fixing them up. Been through 3 in the last 10 years. I'm glad I finally have something that will last!

My question is this... The grills are about a 1/2" shorter then the slot they fit in to. So when you put some elbow grease in to the wire brush, it slams steel on steel on each push and pull. Makes one hell of a loud noise.

I'm sure you've all ran in to this at least once in your life?

The grill is in the lower end market, so I kind of expected small things like this.

I want to wedge something between the grill and the sheet metal slot they fit in. But am having trouble thinking of a good material.

Here's what I've been running through my head.

• It can't melt, or burn.
  • Give of any fumes at all in high heat.
  • It can't be a size on size fit because it will be tough to get the grills in and out for the annul cleaning
  • For the reason above, the grills will still rattle a little, even if I close the gap.
  • Soft material to dampen the impact when cleaning

I know there are some clever minds out there.

Anybody got any suggestions on material?

Tried to Google it, and only came up with Rattle Snake recipes!

Here's a few shots of her test run last weekend.

11-1_zpsd2e58079.jpg

12-1_zpse7feee5a.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Nice grill !!! Low end? sheesh, thats a beauty !! Slack is normal even on high end Q's.It allows for expansion during heating. I wouldn't give it a second thought. If it really bothers you, get a piece of round steel stock the size of the gap, and cut it the same length as slot the grills fit into.Might be just as cheap to buy an inexpensive universal cooking gril, and cut it up to the size you need.

Low end! I wish! I have a Centro about the same size. I take mine out and clean them after a good use.

Mine are tight and don't move even if I wanted to clean them in place.

Merc is right but I would use a stainless steel rod to fill the gap.

These are some great replies so far!

Thanks everyone!

I think I am going to invest in a really good brush. The ones I have are dollar store grade.

I like the idea about the tile. Maybe a black ceramic.

Steel rod is a great ideas too. I think I can get my hands on some 7/16 Thomson shafting.

On a side note. It is very nice to be able to cook a full meal on the deck.

My wife picked the BBQ out from a TSC catalogue with out taking measurements. I would never have picked a grill out this size. But now that I have it, I am really liking it!!

No more "rounds" of burgers!

A beauty of a grill, and that child is getting big!

I don't know about the problem you are having, I think after some use it will tighten up with carbon and grease on it.

Do not use a steel brush on your grill, it will take the enamel off and ruin the grates. Get a good quality nylon brush, clean the grill cold and burn off fat by heating up on all full out high for 10 minutes before or after using.

Take a picture of the nice clean grates now, that's the last time they will be so clean, that left over crud provides flavor.

No more elcheapo steel brushes, right!

Thanks gents!

The steel brush is going in the garage tonight.

I'll look in to a better option.

Thanks for the tips!

And ya, the boy is getting big! He's got teeth now, so soon he will be able to enjoy a piece of that Steak!

nice griil, better food

the grills have the slack in them because of 1: expansion and 2: makes them easier to remove for cleaning, mine does the same thing,

hope you have a large tank or its natural gas

Edited by FloatnFly

hope you have a large tank or its natural gas

Ya, i think most of the time I will be running one or two burners alone... I fired them all up when I first put it together.. MAN, you could here the gas flowing like crazy!!!

I don't wear a shirt, to easy to get caught with dripping from sampling.

BBQ stain on my white t-shirt!

I'm from the country, It's allowed! Heck, It's encouraged!

My new grill does the same thing,brush front to back,not an issue.

Every now & then turn all burners on high & cover the grates with tin foil,leave for 5 min,most crude will incinerate & brush right off.

Enjoy the new BBQ. :good:

My nine year old Napoleon has stainless steel grills that don't move and I can use a steel brush to clean them. This BBQ is made in Canada and it should last several more years.... I can't believe how many new BBQs look high end but are just the same old offshore stuff but with nicer looks......remember, real stainless does not rust!!

Yup, I have a big bullet proof Napoleon BBQ made in Barrie. Mine is only 4 years old, I use it year round and it always starts on the first click. I probably will never need to buy another BBQ. The next time you go buy a 'stainless steel' BBQ, look at the specs and bring a fridge magnet with you. :) Also, bear in mind that a high end BBQ that you buy at CTC (for example) will not be the same unit even though they look identical, as the one you'll buy at a specialized store.

Yep.

I don't expect this BBQ to last more than 10 years. Like I said before, it's lower end. Looks pretty. But it highly doubt it's made on this country! And I am sure it's low grade stainless. All that being said, it still owns any other grill that's been on my deck!! And I'm tickled pink to have it!

And all of the replacement burners, transfer tubes, and burner covers, etc... are available to purchase from the manufacturers website.