New team name in Ottawa

kickingfrog

I thought it was weird at first, but I think it'll grown on me. When you think about it there's lots of seemingly strange sports names: Cincinatti Reds, the Red Sox, the White Sox, St. Louis Blues, etc, etc..

The Rouge et Or of Laval are a hugely popular university football team.

So RedBlacks isn't too much of a stretch.

Personally glad it's not the Rough Riders. Two teams in an 8 team leauge with the same name is even dumber than RedBlacks.

Glad Ottawa's back in the league. I'm a huge CFL fan and it'll be nice to kick Winnipeg back to the west where they belong and restore order again.

Marketing in the 2.0 age. The previous name was owned by someone who wanted an outrageous amount, for a CFL team, for the rights. That may no longer be the case but the success, and power, of the team in Regina also would make it difficult for an expansion franchise to revive it.

Just doesn't roll off the tongue and the first time I read it I pronounced it without the "L"

Their marketing people should be fired or at least made play the first 2 games

You'd think if a wholesale change was being considered there is such a rich history in Ottawa to come up with something different. Even using the Renegades would have been better than this

Did they have a naming contest at a pre-school?

Don't know, but their marketing team might want a redo. Today the team sent out a friendly request to the media that they spell the team name in all caps. Just what every tweeter wants.

Edited by kickingfrog

I think I have an explanation..... maybe they got a deal on red and black ink and toner for there printers. :)

A red–black tree is a type of self-balancing binary search tree, a data structure used in computer science.

History[edit]

The original data structure was invented in 1972 by Rudolf Bayer[2] and named "symmetric binary B-tree," but acquired its modern name in a paper in 1978 by Leonidas J. Guibas and Robert Sedgewick entitled "A Dichromatic Framework for Balanced Trees".[3]The color "red" was chosen for the name because it was the best-looking color produced by the color laser printer available to the authors while working at Xerox PARC.[4]

If it ain't called the Rough Riders, it ain't a real team. Russ Jackson must be having fits.

He seems to be hiding it well.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5812707d6304787c10&m=feec17767d6d0d&ls=fdf31c70756c0079711c7172&l=fe9210767467077571&s=fdf11576726c057872127474&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2911707d620c7d761478&r=0

I thought it was weird at first, but I think it'll grown on me. When you think about it there's lots of seemingly strange sports names: Cincinatti Reds, the Red Sox, the White Sox, St. Louis Blues, etc, etc..

I don't find any of those names to be strange. I do find RedBlacks to be a strange name; I highly doubt that it will grow on me.