New bass pro shop in Ontario

Not that I want a big box down here in SW Ontario but I always thought London area would be awesome right in the heart for people heading to all destinations fishing. Even Americans would stop in just because its a familiar store.

Don't you have a Cabelas a few hours away from you?

Regardless of whether we call it NOTL, St. Kitts or whatever, it still seems an odd location for a store of that size. And why have a second location in southern Ontario that's only an hour from the existing store to begin with? Surely the two locations will compete for many of the same customers.

If I were Johnny Morris and wanted to open another Canadian location, I'd put a store in the Montreal area first. Southern Quebec is a HUGE market for outdoor goods, and they wouldn't have to worry about cannibalizing an existing location by opening up there.

While I will welcome the new store, I don't understand the business case for it. They must be getting one heck of a financial incentive from the developer and perhaps the city to make it worthwhile. Either that, or they will support it by making it a base for the Canadian catalogue operation ... which would make sense, being so close to the US. Who knows.

When deciding a big box retail location a simple circle is drawn around an area. If you draw a circle encompassing 40 miles around St. Kitts, St. David's or NOTL or whatever you wish to call it you have more than one million residents including Western NY. That's a big market. There are many people that won't even think about driving towards TO from the Hammer/Niagara anymore unless absolutely necessary. I'd rather go to Gander Mountain in Tonawanda then to Bass Pro Shop outside TO. Same time traveling, or less. The border wait included.

Well, I won't drive to the vaughn mills location, so you can forget about NOTL.

I'll keep buying from my local small guy who gets me everything I need, usually cheaper than BPS and always has fresh coffee waiting ;)

Don't you have a Cabelas a few hours away from you?

Yeah it's about 2-2.5 hours depending on the bridge to USA. But I don't make trips to just hit it. I'm kinda spoiled with having two gander mountain stores 1 BPS and Janns net craft on my daily drive. I don't shop at them all the time I rather hit the local stores like Ed's baits in wallaceburg or bass haven.

I just thought that London would be a great spot for a big box and am shocked that there is not one yet.

While I like to visit the store I never seem to buy much..I still spend my cash at Fishing world or Bills bait....

Fishing world could be giving things away and i still wouldnt go.and it was closest store to me.

It's a great business location! Right along side one of the bussiest traffic corriders in North America in view of day trippers to the falls, tourists from around the world, crossborder shoppers stopping in on their way back from the States and there's the Buffalo Niagara market. Have any of you driven to the falls on a summer Saturday or Sunday? Amost always a traffic jamb or at least slow going. And then add the million or so who live in the Hamilton area alone who detest Toronto or hate driving to Toronto Bass Pro. Just think of who the major competitor is..."SAIL!" Who the hell cares about Sail? It's a waste of real estate!

Downside, the independant shops will be facing a tougher battle.

Regardless of whether we call it NOTL, St. Kitts or whatever, it still seems an odd location for a store of that size. And why have a second location in southern Ontario that's only an hour from the existing store to begin with? Surely the two locations will compete for many of the same customers.

If I were Johnny Morris and wanted to open another Canadian location, I'd put a store in the Montreal area first. Southern Quebec is a HUGE market for outdoor goods, and they wouldn't have to worry about cannibalizing an existing location by opening up there.

While I will welcome the new store, I don't understand the business case for it. They must be getting one heck of a financial incentive from the developer and perhaps the city to make it worthwhile. Either that, or they will support it by making it a base for the Canadian catalogue operation ... which would make sense, being so close to the US. Who knows.

Buffalo blew off BP years ago when they were gonna put up a store, now there gonna drag all the americans just over the border.

Edited by Walleye Wanderer

You have Ramakkos! Awesome store. Will order you anything you want.

This haha. Northern Ontario is spoiled having Ramakkos. Live in Timmins and I order all of my gear from there. Cheapest prices I'm able to find on new gear.