Spooled line Backwards

Apparently different manufactures spool their line in different directions, :angry:

spooled 2 reels the first was fine the second is backwards, after inspection the line on second brand was spooled in opposite direction.

My question is what can i do now to get the line on the right way...I'd rather not waste the line :(

Any suggestions? :blush:

are you concerned it is twisted? if so, let it all out with nothing attached to it and troll it for 5-10 mins. retrieve it under tension and it will be twist free. otherwise, i'm not sure i understand why you are concerned.

Uh reread it. :wallbash: It's not the reel spool but the line manufactor's spool that is the problem. As above, let it out in the boat or in the park and reel it in. The boat, if an option, is much easier I find. Mark the line spool for next time if there is still line on it and just flip it over like Slowpoke said.

When your putting new line on a spinning reel, just crank on a few layers, then drop your rod tip down till the line goes limp. If it twists up like crazy it means it's going on backwards, so simply flip it over.

If it just basically lays limp when you put the tip down, your doing it correctly.

When your putting new line on a spinning reel, just crank on a few layers, then drop your rod tip down till the line goes limp. If it twists up like crazy it means it's going on backwards, so simply flip it over.

If it just basically lays limp when you put the tip down, your doing it correctly.

BINGO

I also like to put the spool in a bucket of water,before spooling. Cuts down on friction.

Edited by Misfish

Thanks guys

I will try the boat trick tomorrow, I feel stupid, but like i said...had both spools label facing me never even thought to check which way the manufacturer spooled it :wallbash:

I guess i'm batting 500 which is better then the Jays :whistling:

Thanks guys

I will try the boat trick tomorrow, I feel stupid, but like i said...had both spools label facing me never even thought to check which way the manufacturer spooled it :wallbash:

I guess i'm batting 500 which is better then the Jays :whistling:

Don't feel stupid, I can't count how many spools of mono/fluoro I've wasted due to horrible twisting. I still have a hard time re-spooling with mono.... another reason I love braid.

Not sure what type of line your using but for mono, I use a pencil that I place thru the middle of line spool, ask someone to hold it with both hands with a piece of paper towel to avoid burning their finger tips and make sure that the line comes off the spool from the bottom.

If by yourself, use the pencil as above and place between your knees and again... make sure the line comes off the bottom. Works everytime for me :) Never had any problems what so ever :D

I get rid of line twist by walking off the entire spool und rewind it back on under tension of a finger and thumb with nothing on the end of the line...

Edited by Beans

Lay the spool on the floor and start cranking. Any decent quality line will have a notch in the spool that will flip it over to the correct side. In fact I've never come across any line that doesn't have this built in auto correct feature in decades. If you somehow spooled up incorrectly, do what Raf said. And never, ever do what TroutJunkie suggested.

Why???

Assuming that we are talking about a spinning reel here, you are adding twist to the line with your method. It has to come off of the line spool in the same direction that it is going onto the reel. Simply lay your spool of line on the ground and look down at your rod as if it were a shotgun. Your reel should be turning counter clockwise. If the line is coming off of the spool counter clockwise, and it should be with the notched spool, you are adding minimal twist to your line. Because the reel and line spools are different diameters, you will still be adding minimal twisting. To reduce this, do as Lew said and lower your rod tip to the spool and see if it twists. If it does (and it will) simply flip the spool over for a few cranks until there is no more twisting. On the other hand , your method is perfect for filling a bait caster.

Assuming that we are talking about a spinning reel here, you are adding twist to the line with your method. It has to come off of the line spool in the same direction that it is going onto the reel. Simply lay your spool of line on the ground and look down at your rod as if it were a shotgun. Your reel should be turning counter clockwise. If the line is coming off of the spool counter clockwise, and it should be with the notched spool, you are adding minimal twist to your line. Because the reel and line spools are different diameters, you will still be adding minimal twisting. To reduce this, do as Lew said and lower your rod tip to the spool and see if it twists. If it does (and it will) simply flip the spool over for a few cranks until there is no more twisting. On the other hand , your method is perfect for filling a bait caster.

That's good to know Dan! Thanks :clapping: Just in case I'm haven't explained myself properly about making sure to feed the new spool line from bottom... made a little sketch of what I was trying to say :) with the help of someone or by yourself... works great everytime :)

Spool_zpsac1699ee.jpg

Good stuff Dan. That was very well explained.

Never in my life have I spooled up any of my spinning reels by laying them flat. I put a pencil through the spool and reel it on that way, same as a baitcaster. If anyone can explain to me logically how that method will twist your line I'm all ears. I'd love to hear what I've been doing wrong for over 40 years LOL!

The very design of a spinning reel imparts a twist to the line. The key is to try to keep it to a minimum and going in the same direction.

I can definitely see how your line would be twisted if you lay the spool flat and reel it on in the wrong direction, that's obvious. But spooling it on with a pencil through the spool, it's coming straight off the spool, there is no twist. I've spooled thousands of spinning reels that way over the last few decades with zero issues.

Never in my life have I spooled up any of my spinning reels by laying them flat. I put a pencil through the spool and reel it on that way, same as a baitcaster. If anyone can explain to me logically how that method will twist your line I'm all ears. I'd love to hear what I've been doing wrong for over 40 years LOL!

It's simple physics Mike. When reeling in from a pencil, every turn of your bail adds some twist. That's not hard to figure out. The old story was to reel in with the line spool label up, but line manufacturers have since added the fail proof notch on the spool that flips it to the correct side. Why would they do this if it doesn't matter? Why don't they just say to use the pencil method? That would be so much easier if it didn't matter. It may be a small detail, but with your attention to detail about so many other things, I'm surprised that you can't understand this. Try your method with a 100 foot garden hose on a 12 inch hose reel and see if you can keep the far end of the hose from turning (twisting) as it comes in. Clearly something has to give. Is this logical enough? LOL!

It's simple physics Mike. When reeling in from a pencil, every turn of your bail adds some twist. That's not hard to figure out. The old story was to reel in with the line spool label up, but line manufacturers have since added the fail proof notch on the spool that flips it to the correct side. Why would they do this if it doesn't matter? Why don't they jusy say to use the pencil method? That would be so much easier if it didn't matter. It may be a small detail, but with your attention to detail about so many other things, I'm surprised that you can't understand this. Try your method with a 100 foot garden hose on a 12 inch hose reel and see if you can keep the far end of the hose from turning (twisting) as it comes in. Clearly something has to give.

It's not simple physics Dan, there is no twist when you spool it on that way. It's coming straight off the spool, think about it.

Anyhow In all my years I've never had any line twist and that's good enough for me.

As for why the line manufacturers suggest spooling it on in the way you describe I have no idea. It's always been one of lifes greatest mysteries to me, not unlike the Caramilk secret LOL!

I'd suggest to anyone who doesn't agree to try it first before you denounce it.