Serious Weather on the way!

Entropy

Got up at 5 am, looked at the weather forecast, checked on here, had a coffee, checked the radar map and weather forecast again and decided I'd better cancel my plans for the day and go get extra gas for the generator and get it ready to go and put in a few extra supplies.

It is now 5:20 we haven't had a flake of snow, the 60K wind gusts that they said we were going to get hasn't happened, there hasn't been a single drop of freezing rain. I've lost a whole day of working on the docks, cancelled a friend coming over to check out putting a bowmount trolling motor on my boat. Darn you again weather person!!!!!! :asshat:

Cliff, you should know better than to cancel plans due to the weather forcast. Its always hyped up. They cancelled all buses to schools this morning, and we haven't had a drop of rain or flake of snow here all day! What a joke!

S.

Ya, that's what they said last night. As always, I'll believve it when I see it.

Anyone ever seen a newfie weather station? Its basically a piece of yarn you hang outside your window. It never lies. If its wet, its raining, if its stiff, its freezing, if its moving its windy.....if its gone, someone stole it! Never fails!!

S.

Ya, that's what they said last night. As always, I'll believve it when I see it.

Anyone ever seen a newfie weather station? Its basically a piece of yarn you hang outside your window. It never lies. If its wet, its raining, if its stiff, its freezing, if its moving its windy.....if its gone, someone stole it! Never fails!!

S.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

RIGHT ON BYE.

but the price of gas went up 12 cents a litre though, glad i filled yesterday at 116 per litre.

I hear ya Steve, I went into town this morning and when I passed the gas station he was $1.17 so I figured I gas up on the way back. Thirty minutes later, he was $1.27

I hear ya Steve, I went into town this morning and when I passed the gas station he was $1.17 so I figured I gas up on the way back. Thirty minutes later, he was $1.27

10 cents a litre that quick .... That seems insane. That's like a 38 cent per gallon hike down here. Can't say I've seen that kind of a jump at one time

Edited by Rich Clemens

:rofl2: i not worried, she can't use the computer very well unless you tell her

I wouldn't be so sure, they are sneaky smart that way.

Forgot the newbie weather joke, still funny after all these years.

Rain, wind and hail here yesterday, was looking in the yard and the water was up to the wheel hub on my boat trailer. I wish I could post a pic here, I'm computer useless.

Then I was looking out the back later and saw an old guy in a long wooden boat float by, there was the head of a giraffe sticking out the top.

Almost 9. Still not a drop in Durham.

Check out wundergroud.com Great weather maps... The southwest is getting it right now, all of south/central Ontario will be getting it early tomorrow morning.

Edited by BillM

Well, it's here! Everything covered in ice as of 5:00 am and still coming down. It's a mix of ice pellets and freezing rain. Got the bath tub filled with water just in case we loose power, filled every gas can I have yesterday and test ran the generator just in case we are without power for a couple of days (remember the Quebec ice storm?) I understand there are a lot of power outages all ready so better safe than sorry.

Sit tight and stay safe everyone.

Edited by Big Cliff

Geee, Big Cliff. Sounds like you might just be a (dare I say) a Prepper.

I did just the same thing over the last 2 days and am glad I did.

Generator is running. Wish I had a spare one, as back up. Calling in sick in 15 min. I can smell the bacon now.

Be Safe.

Generator is running. Wish I had a spare one, as back up.

Get yourself a permanent standby generator and you won't have to worry about it again. Mine runs off propane and automatically starts up 15 seconds after the power goes out and stops when it's restored. It pretty well runs my entire house if I wanted it to.

lew, that would be great, but with a young family and home repairs / updating needed, I can't justify the .... how much $5000? Now if I have water damage in my basement, I'm sure my insureance co. will make me get one.

It was around $3300 if I recall correctly, but worth every $$$$.

Just about everyone on my road has one.

That is a lot less than I thought it would be Lew. When I looked into it for our place they wanted about $1,400.00 just for the automatic control panel and almost $4,500.00 for the generator. I ended up buying a portable gas one for about $700.00 and $300.00 to have a manual switching panel installed. That was 4 years ago and the only time I had to use it was to help Beans out a couple of years ago when he lost power for a few days. I still fire it up every couple of months just to make sure it is there when I do need it and drain the fuel and put fresh gas with stabilizer in it every fall.

Still nice to know I have it if I need it though. Mine is 6500 watts and will run the whole house with no problem, I do have a gas range in the kitchen, gas hot water heater, gas fireplace, gas furnace. About the only thing I do need power for is to be able to pump water, run the freezers, and lights, I could probably have gotten by with a smaller generator but this one was a good deal.

When I purchased the generator Cliff, I also bought a new gas furnace & on-demand water tank to get away from oil so all the prices are running together in my head right now, so I may be off on the price.

Here's the generator tucked nicely under the back deck

010.jpg

this is the transfer switch

026.jpg

And the 1500 litre propane tank

033-1.jpg

Before this unit I ran a 6500 watt portable that plugged straight into the house and as you say, their also a great unit and do a nice job, I just wanted to get away from having to be here to keep the gas tank topped up.

We lost power 2 years ago for 2 days and the portable cost me $100 in gas, but still better than the alternative.