Lowe FM 165 Wt vs. Smokercraft Pro Angler 162 Xl

Rizzo

Need a new boat because I plan on fishing St. Clair this year. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices, likely put a 60hp on either one. Both have a full console (I'm tired of getting soaked in December). Any input anyone could give on either of these boats would be much appreciated. Although I usually cast more than troll, I expect that might change once I start fishing St. Clair.

I can't comment on the boats as I' not familiar with either but can say you are going to buy an 18 footer by the time your finished and up the engine to 115HP. There is no prescription drug for twofootittis, incurable unfortunately, but not fatal. You will be happy with the full windscreen on big water like St. Clair.

Roger, without knowing much about either of those boats, I'd probably go with the Smokercraft.

It's a wider boat. Better quality seats. More storage space. But most importantly, if you're sure you will be running a 60HP on it, you'll be running at 80% of max with it whereas with the Lowe you'd only be running at 67%.

And this doesn't really count but IMHO the Smokercraft looks better.

My brother had a Lowe and a friend had a Smokercraft and they were both nice boats Roger. I spose the best one will be whichever has the layout that suits you best.

Good choice going for the full windshield, you'll really appreciate it when the cold fall winds start howling. Now get yourself a full top and your set for anything.

We'll be down to St. Clair late October or early November for the annual musky trip so I'll let you know when exactly and maybe you can bring the new ride down and join us.

Well I had a 1987 Smokercraft that I bought new and had for 22 years. It was also the Pro Angler model but single console, I can't think of any complaints on the boat except I should have gone with the maximum HP on it, it was rated for a 60HP and I bought it as a package with a 35HP.

Two other guys in our bass club had the same boats, none had problems and none seemed in a hurry to get something else.

Mine was labeled as 17 foot, but specs said 16' 8" and of course given the model year it was narrower, like a 73 inch beam.

Just a suggestion, if you can swing the upgrade to a 75? go with it, it's nice to get off big water in a hurry if it starts to kick up.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkQULsW-lo?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkQULsW-lo?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Both good boats. I'd go with the smoker craft myself. Don't skimp out on power though, you won't be happy with either if you don't have enough power to get up and go when you need to. St. Clair can get hairy quick. Its shallow, and gets a dirty chop on it. I'd even think about a jack plate so you can get your engine up out of the water a bit. We had a lot of trouble last year down there with really shallow water. A few times we had to get out and literally push the boat over sand bars!

S.

Hi

Both are good boats and personal taste, likes and dislikes will be deciding factors.

I would suggest along with others that you max out the HP. I can tell you that the LOWE FM-165 is a great boat with 90HP 4S Merc.

If you are concerned about spending a bit more now for the extra HP don't worry because you will see it back when you decide to trade or sell... remember twofootitis...You will not regret buying the maximum rated HP plus fuel ecconomy is very good with the 90 (it wont have to work so hard)

The Lowe has a great layout with the two livewells, and center rod staoage. I would also get the rear deck extension/seats it makes it real nice for casting and fishing off the rear deck.

One downside is that it only comes with a 12V trolling motor and if you are a serious angler a 24V is almost a must...Before you buy look into converting it into a 24V, the standard single 12 TM battery is located under the center rod storgage compatment and unfortunately will not hold a 2nd battery so you will need to wire another one into the rear...I would also upgrade the standard X4 Lowrance Sonar to an Elite 5 GPS/Sonar, you could keep the X-4 and mount on bow.. Just some ideas.

Best of luck on your decision and enjoy your new boat!

Both good.

These guys r correct.

Max hp and a 12v trolling motor is not sufficient.

I have a crestliner fish hawk 1600 with a 75hp and 70lb thrust tm.

I had the previous boat with a 70hp and same tm

Would NEVER consider going smaller with either motor!!

I fish st Clair in mine regularly. Casting muskie mostly

Good luck

Landry

thanks for all the input! Looks like I'll do the smokercraft and max it out at 75...that was almost unanimously mentioned and I didn't even ask! Thanks for all the advice. Wife not too thrilled but she just bought 2 new pairs of pants so we're even aren't we?

One is riveted and one is welded, other than that they are likely quite similar.

Now, if you are comparing between welded boats there is a clear choice (Crestliner of course).

Both of the boats you mention are fine boats, the place to make your choice though is at the boat show where you can sit in both and see the differences.

Jim

I've owned a Pro Mag Smoker for 13 yrs. ( 16'4") Always gararged when not on the water. Still looks factory fresh. 2 reasons to buy the max rated horsepower are eventually you will wish you did and it gives you the most resale value. I've got a 90 bigfoot Merc and it will do 42mph.