Credit card compromised

13 yrs of online purchasing finally caught up with me....Thanks to Henry's Photo-Video-Digital for calling me and alerting me someone in California try'd to purchase $1200 worth of equipment from them!

Good news i only bought these dirt bags $3.76 worth of 1cent stamps from stamps.com and the bank will cover that.

What do you guys do to protect yourselves? Must say it wasn't a big of deal to the bank as it as for myself...think my blood presure went threw the roof when i got the call this morn :(

I doubt it was online use that got you... here in Midland it was the NOCO full serve gas station. They take your card inside.. run it through.. and while doing so write down your number, expiry date and 3 digit security code on the back.. then knowing you're a regular browse the phone book for you phone number address and then they go online to order stuff. This is why most good online companies won't let you order stuff and ship to an address that doesn't match your card.

I recently got a call from my bank asking if I had made a series of online purchases as well. As it turns out, my card was compromised....and I went through each transaction with them to see if I recognized the purchases or not. At the end of the day, over $2000 in online purchases were attempted that were not mine. My card was cancelled and a new one issued right away.

The person on the phone said that people who steal this information likely have it for months before they begin to use it. It makes it harder to trace it back to where the info was stolen.

Good point Irishfield re the use of a card at gas stations. As well it is recommended not to use your card at any retailer that employees minimum wage employees or the card reader is in reach of the customer. There are many, many honest folks out there working for minimum wage so please this isn't about the majority. Organized criminals pay big for credit card info and for someone getting minimum wage is hard to resist for some. Keeping your card in your sight is a false sence of security, criminals will use electronic readers to get the info from all bank cards without the knowledge of the retailer. This is a highly organized and tech savvy new breed of criminals at work here beyond the misguided individual that are penny anti crooks.

There are cards being developed or have been that when inserted into the reader actually retrieve info from the reader loading that info onto the users card. One reason credit cards now require PIN numbers. Where does it end?

Good point Irishfield re the use of a card at gas stations. As well it is recommended not to use your card at any retailer that employees minimum wage employees or the card reader is in reach of the customer. There are many, many honest folks out there working for minimum wage so please this isn't about the majority. Organized criminals pay big for credit card info and for someone getting minimum wage is hard to resist for some. Keeping your card in your sight is a false sence of security, criminals will use electronic readers to get the info from all bank cards without the knowledge of the retailer. This is a highly organized and tech savvy new breed of criminals at work here beyond the misguided individual that are penny anti crooks.

There are cards being developed or have been that when inserted into the reader actually retrieve info from the reader loading that info onto the users card. One reason credit cards now require PIN numbers. Where does it end?

In the end there isn't much you can do about it. The only way to permanently fix the problem is to cut the card up and toss it in the garbage.

Don't worry about it. Had the same thing happen to me, went to use my credit card to pay for some gas and it was declined. I knew there had to be a problem because I pay my credit cards off in full every month. Called the credit card company and sure enough they had put a hold on it because of unusual transactions. Turned out someone had bought $1600.00 worth of stuff at places I had never even heard of. No problem they took care of it all. Been thinking that next year at Christmas I'll give the wife my card, tell her to go shopping then call the card in lost or stolen :whistling: Well mayby not!!!!!

I had once tried to fill up the truck at one pump and the boat at the one behind with my debit and was denied at the second pump. Didn't realize they would do that so fast.

Anyways, I have since gone to filling up the truck with my debit and the boat with a credit card to avoid this problem when both need to be done. Back in the fall I had used my one credit card for putting gas in the boat for a grand total of $27 I believe. Paid that when the bill came in and another couple of months go by when I got the call from the bank. "We know that you haven't used your card for a couple of months and were wondering if you purchased anything from iTunes?" I told them no that I don't even own an Apple product and asked why? "2 transactions for $50 were placed and since you have never ordered from there we were concerned."

Card was cancel, new one sent out. Had to sign an affidavit saying that I did not make those purchases and send it in. I was pretty pissed too 206. Only $100 bucks and yes I don't have to worry about it but shouldn't we? We all end up paying for this somewhere along the line.

I should also add,I check my online account everyday. Shows a balance and purchases.

Apparently some charges can take up to or more than 3 days to appear on your statement....so by the time you see it, it's too late

2 years ago my bank account was cleaned out of over $2400 in a 24 hour period. My debit card had been compromised. The bank 's credit people phoned me early on a Saturday morning to ask about recent card activity.

No problem getting it all back. However it took over a month. My wife is a bank employee so they really look into everything before you get your money back.

This is more common then I ever would have believed. A co-worker of my wife has had it happen to her 3 times. The chip cards are supposed to slow down or stop this. I will have to ask Debbe if it has helped or not.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Happened to the wife and I a few times also. Last summer I get a call on my cell while driving down the lakein the boat. The bank wanted to know if I booked a vacation with Travelocity for $1,200 in Morrocco. I only wish! They declined the purchase, cancelled the card and issued a new one. In this case I was pretty certain where my card was compromised. It was at a well known restaurant chain where the waitress gave me some story about the wireless card machine being broken and had to take my card back to the register. I gave this info to the card company but don't know if anything came of it.

Wife called me at worked a few years ago asking if I had a secret gambling problem. Seems that her card was charged $400 for an online betting place. In another case her card was charged $700 from Apple online....we don't own Apple stuff. Most, if not all, of these transactions get charged back to the merchant and it's up to them to chase down the crooks.