Restrict guests viewing images?

Guest restrictions  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should we restrict guests from viewing images?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you voted yes, how should we set it up?

• All members can see images
    • A minimum number of posts required
    • I voted no. Added this cause it may make you pick something here.

In a private discussion yesterday I said that I liked the idea of members only being able to view pictures on this site. After having read the posts to this thread, after some consideration and after a decent night's sleep, my choice is to leave it alone. There is some good thinking here but perhaps Brian (Slowpoke) said it best.

You can't legislate common sense.

Let it be. Restricting picture viewing rights will also ultimately kill the board.

I voted NO.

4 yrs. ago, when I came across this site, being able to see the pictures in the reports, the depth of the reports, and the non-fishing reports, questions, with pictures, contributed to me signing up within 4 days of first coming across this site. Otherwise, I might not be a member here now (is that a good or bad thing :lol: ).

I see snog posted about being a lurker, and finding fishing spots from the posts and photos,..............but, he joined up here also, and has contributed to this site with his own reports and photos.

I say, leave it as it is.

I have only posted a few times. Someone has usually already replied with advise that is basically the same as mine, so why repeat it.

I usually use computers at work that are not mine, so I don't log in, and therefore cannot post or use any of the other features on this site.

At home I only have dial up, so I don't look at photos.

I do not have access to youtube or any other video type material that is often linked.

I think you have a great site just the way it is and should not risk changing it.

PS. Thanks for the tips and opinions, which braided line to use, which underwater camera, etc.

Thanks Barry

After reading everyones concerns, I'm thinking that restricting pictures by posts is not a great idea... we have to remember that 50 percent of our traffic and the dough that keeps this site going is these lurkers.. I don't think id be happy with 10 post restrictions.. i was on some non fishing boards that did that.. and I'd never go back now..

I do think that to see pictures we could at least ask the lurkers to register and become members though....

Bly and I talked about this and initially we thought to restrict access...with a minimum post count. The more I thought about it...and after reading many of the posts on this thread, I think I have to reconsider.

I'm thinking back to September of last year....about 3 weeks before we registered for the board. We had just started fishing again after a 20 year break. We were info hungry...not for locations, but for tips. We LOVED reading the reports and seeing the fish pics. Lurking gave me an idea of what kind of online community this really was....if pics were blocked, I would have been turned off this site altogether. I have met and fished with a few fellow OFNers and established many online friends on this site. I think changing the pics would change the "home" feeling....and we'd ultimately lose a few potential members who could really add a lot to this community.

Just my opinion.

I really don't think that post count is a good measurable here. Some of us read more than we post and when we feel that we have something useful to contribute we do so and when we seek advise we ask. Others choose to use the site more like a chat line with back and forth banter. Not that there is anything wrong with that, whatever floats your boat. That's what makes OFC what it is, the envy of other boards. We have been able to make something work that others have not. I'm not sure what we are actually trying to accomplish here, but, only allowing those with a minimum number of posts will not do it........ Restricting viewing or other activities on this board can only create a negative experience for those visiting us for the first time.

As for those who want the protect "their spots"......do a better job when you post......... As for those like Moosebunk...........keep posting damn it, keep sharing your life.....you are providing most of us with a few minutes of your world that we would not have otherwise experienced.

John..

I am voting Members only just viewing all pictures.

less lurkers and once people take the plunge they may start posting

Better Members list for advertising rates too pay for the board :)

Not that it should make a difference but less bandwith use :) for none members

After having read the posts to this thread, after some consideration and after a decent night's sleep, my choice is to leave it alone. There is some good thinking here but perhaps Brian (Slowpoke) said it best.

You can't legislate common sense.

Let it be. Restricting picture viewing rights will also ultimately kill the board.

I voted NO.

That sounds about right.

Reports w/pics and 'lurkers' learning from them have made this board successsful.

ehg

I am a very new member(this morning) but thought I would add my view. I was "lurking" for the last while and never registered for the simple fact I had nothing to add. I kept coming back to this site because I enjoyed reading everyones posts about anything and seeing all the great pics. I realize some people lurk just to find out where to go but you get rotten apples in everything. I lurked for the fact that I have hardly gotten out and by reading posts it kind of made me feel like I did. After visiting for awhile I realized this is a great site that I wanted to be a part of. From a newbies point of view it was not to gather secret fishing spots but because everyone on here seems great and you should all give yourselves a pat on the back. I agree with how you take pictures as some have said. This is a great site and you guys shouldn't let a few bad apples spoil it even though I totally get where some are coming from.Thanks for converting me to member!

I am a very new member(this morning) but thought I would add my view. I was "lurking" for the last while and never registered for the simple fact I had nothing to add. I kept coming back to this site because I enjoyed reading everyones posts about anything and seeing all the great pics. I realize some people lurk just to find out where to go but you get rotten apples in everything. I lurked for the fact that I have hardly gotten out and by reading posts it kind of made me feel like I did. After visiting for awhile I realized this is a great site that I wanted to be a part of. From a newbies point of view it was not to gather secret fishing spots but because everyone on here seems great and you should all give yourselves a pat on the back. I agree with how you take pictures as some have said. This is a great site and you guys shouldn't let a few bad apples spoil it even though I totally get where some are coming from.Thanks for converting me to member!

Sounds like a success story to me!

John

I voted No,

I feel the site would suffer. I'm worried that the more restrictions placed on the site would turn new members away.

There are a lot of people who used to be active on this site who are no longer posting. Luckily there is a huge amount of new members who have joined and added great content. I'd hate to see anything jeopardize that, and I feel restricting access would definitely deter new members. If I came across this site for the first time and found I couldn't access the pics it would probably be the last time I visited the site.

Leave the site as is. 2 cents worth.

Hookset.

The pics and stories I come here to see have no civilization in them at all. If your picture has buildings or bridges or can be accessed easily you can rest assured I won't be bothering you. If I post a picture and you can find that spot I hope you have as much fun as I do when I am there.

I voted yes, to contributing members only.

I rarely post the results of my outings here anymore. It's a lot of work to constantly try to remember to not reveal backgrounds and/or edit the pictures prior to posting them on OFC. I used to share a lot more but complaints from other members about my reports and/or inviting higher than normal traffic at my fishing locations is not worth it.

This site has turned into the equivalent of drive-thru fast food but for fishing reports/locations...I don't want to encourage that anymore. People are spoiled with the Internet, fewer and fewer folks are getting out there and discovering spots and hot bites on their own.

It's worth contributing to others that do the same, but that isn't the case here.

That being said, I understand the goal of this site and I think in it's present state that goal is being achieved.

Tony

I voted no because before I joined, I enjoyed reading the adventures posted and seeing the fishing pictures. That is what made me come back time and time again. I did not visit the site to find hot spots and deplete the fish population in someones "honey holes". I decided to join because I saw that Midland Penetang was not covered by any member and that I could share info that could help someone who wanted to fish the area. If I had been restricted I might not have joined and would probably have moved on.

I just love it when I see "PM me and I will give you the info" and "changing the background of pictures". I think that this pole is directly related to the above. I think that if it comes down to "PM me or changing the background" then keep the information and pictures to yourself and PM yourselves to your hearts content.

Blocking the background and just leaving a fish in a picture takes away from the whole story. If I wanted to look at pictures of fish alone I could go to a fish ID site but that is not what I want to do. Just remember that lurkers are future members who have not registered yet!

Yes I was a lurker before I joined like most of the other members.

Tom.

I think that people who want to see the pictures should be able to without having to post any posts, however if they had to join then the family would be even larger. A lurker will lurk forever and return to the site as often as he wants to get info or entertainment without feeling like they would like to return something to the family. How many times have you visited a site and wanted to chime in but it was to much of a pain to join and then speak up. You then continue to read and visit never putting the knowledge that you have into the posts that you found so interesting.

Secondly it would not drive people away from the site if they had to join it would shorten the time they were lurking. The bandwidth would be about the same but with the registered members they would be counted and that is the magic number that allows this board to sell advertisement. The more people that are accounted for (joined)is the sales number the product sponsors want to see. They do not see the guests as a sales base they only see the hits on the site and that is not nearly as easy to sell to the sponsors. The truth be told their are not many that did not lurk before they became members and I bet most of you joined to ask for help or information. I say lets give them a reason right off the bat to join and support the forum with their being counted and maybe the cost of this site will be easier to pay for.

Art

There is a simple answer to this.... Rick... how many unique page views do we get a month...... and how many are Members.. I bet a loonie... no 100 Loonies that non-members outweigh members by at least 50-1 so we have 50 non members taking info... how many of them register? 1 in 50 perhaps? a community is just that people that talk and share.... not leech an leave.

Hate to be the thorn... but this is my opinion.

Gerritt.

Well Ger,I think I made sence of that and totally agree.Like I said sometime ago(and this is in no offence to the owners or mods of the site)Private boards are becoming more and more common and if you do not pertake in the inputs, your are out.

Just my 2 cents on this.