Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

Anyone here do this? What's your set up? Any secrets you want to share? I'm just doing this as a hobby....just something to do around the house. I have 32 buckets out, and just boil in a big pot on a propane burner. I'm kinda learning. As I go, but I'm enjoying my time in the woods, and my son seems to like helping out with the work, so its all good. Tried last year, but the run was a weird one, so it didn't pan out like I'd hoped. So far. This year, things are normal. Collected about 20 gallons of sap last week, and made about 2 litres of syrup so far. This week should be a good run if the forcast is right.

So, who's into this stuff? Anyone have a proper boiling pan they want to part with, or lend out? I will supply the sap and do the work of course ;)

S.

Used to run a small evaporator years back. Gave it to a friend some years back when the woodlot was bulldozed for a subdivision.

40 gallons sap boils down to 1 gallon syrup. We ran the evaporator over a wood fired brick pit. Took roughly 14 hours to get it thick enough, but it was a great all day activity. Start up the boil and drip, then go draw fresh sap, outdoor cookouts, taffy pulls. I like my syrup as a light amber grade. The later in the season you draw sap, the darker the syrup gets.

Yes, I've been running a proper evaporator and finisher at work for a few years now, so doing it as a hobby at home is a lot longer process. Been boiling down 5 gallons at a time, takes me roughly 6 hours, and I'm getting one mason jar (500ml) each time. The first run sap is certainly the best. Almost looks like honey its so light. Planning a much bigger boil over the mmarch break. The kids will have a fun day of it anyways. This snow isn't making it any easier to collect, but adds to the adventure, and keeps me in shape!

S.

When I was a kid we ran a 4x12 multy stage boiler and about 3000 trees it is one of the best memories so far.

Getting up at 5 am feeding cattel pigs chickens gathering eggs and going in for breafast then heading out on the sleds up to the boiler shack to get the fire up and running and then go get the sap for the day we were usualy done at about 2-4 depending on how many people were out tipping buckets.

Then it was off to the lake on the sleds to play hockey or fish usualy both..

Then back for the evening chours and Supper and back up to the boiler to cut wood check the buckets and stoke the boiler for the nite..

I want to be a kid again....

Salty.

Yep, good times Salty. Seems to be a thing of the past nowadays. Not many people doing it anymore. I just enjoy the time outdoors, and my son likes it too. People ask me all the time if its really "worth" it, and my reply is its priceless. Its not about how much syrup you make, or how much it costs to make it, its about spending time outdoors with family and friends, when most people are deep in cabin fever ;)

S.

Looks good Shane !!!!! I have seen lots of lines going up and guys checking the last week or so while I was snowmobiling !!!!! If you are interested the Sunderland maple strop festival is April 5-7 th in Sunderland the whole town comes out for it !!!! Pretty cool they are all in te bush now getting the sap the news said its going to be a bumper crop of sap this year !!!!! Cool. Good luck guys ....

As teenagers my friend and I collected sap , then we had his mother boil it on their stove. When they went to check on the pot in the morning they discovered that the steam from the pot had caused their wallpaper to peel off the walls. That was the end of our maple syrup days.

I'm getting the sugar shack cleaned up and ready to go.. W'ere gearing up for our season which usually starts mid march. after my Dad's mishap last year we missed a year. I did this video with my Dad a few years back.  Were gonna have to start the season with skidoo's instead of the tractor though there's gotta be 3-4 feet of snow in the bush.  Lots of work to get ready to go... we have 300 trees we can do, I think I'm gonna stick to around 125 around the shack for my first go at this alone.

Except for last year, weve been in "production" for 30 odd years. Our best year was 65 gallons.

We've always done everything old school... and its gonna stay that way. Syrup is done (for commercial purposes) when its boiling temperature is 7 degrees above 212 (219) we always boil to 219.5-220, for a little thicker, sweeter syrup.

We run a small operation here too just 50 trees.Its fun... family comes over drinks my beer....watch the sap boil then leave with free maple syrup lol

Gotta love it

Great video T.J

Edited by lakerguy

I dunno what's up but vids or pics don't show up on my phone on this site. I was hoping it would be a bit warmer today to get the sap running, but its a little too cold. Should be a great season this year!

S.

Sinker, My neighbor put a few pails out every year. Boils is over flames, in an old stainless sink.

I took a quick look at his set up last year. But this year, I am going to take a real good look, and try to learn a few things. if he has any really cool things going on, I'll send you some pictures. He is an inventor, so most of his stuff is home made.

Sure would be a good tradition to start as a family thing.

Best part is emptying those Old Special bottles so you have something for the syrup !!

In case you were wondering ...they don't have to be Old Special bottles. Those empty vodka and rum bottles after a weekend at Bernie's should work just as well. Having never made syrup before, I could be wrong. :D I'd certainly like to try doing it one of these days. Need to find some trees and permission to do so.

Great video TJ!!

Great looking first batch Sinker. :good:

Right on. I gave it a go two years ago. Made possibly the smallest batch of Maple syrup ever produced from the two maple trees in my backyard. Think I ended up with around a 1/2 of a cup. It was so clear it made me uncertain if I was even using the right trees. The leaves in the spring confirmed I was right. It was fun, I should get out there. Maybe ramp up production to a full cup this year.

Edited by Weeds

Weeds, you can store sap for a long time if its kept cool. Mine is frozen solid right now. Store it up until you get a 5 gal pail, then you will get about 2 cups lol.

Like I said, its not how much you get, its doing the whole process, and spending time outdoors.

I like to do things old school as well. The propane burner is not quite a fire, but I'm going to boil a big batch over a fore once I have a full barrel collected. Should be able to empty a few bottles of the good stuff watching that boil lol

S.

And yeah, the sap is gin clear. The syrup made from the first run of sap is also very light in colour, and has the highest sugar content. The later you collect, the darker the syrup will be once boiled.

How are you filtering yours TJ? And do you filter it before you get to your preferred temp, or at that temp?

I'm finding if I filter it before its at temp, it does a nicer job. I then run it thru a cone coffee filter into my bottles.

Works for me....

S.

Thanks guys... we don't filter.. we pour off in 5 gallon batches an have a 1/2 stainless steel drum... Poured in at boiliog it takes a while to cool and we just let it settle and siphon off the top.. Does a great job and no messing around with filtering.. we do our very best to prefilter everything through cloth and then through 6" milk filters before it goes into the vats.

Spent my evening cleaning out the boilers, got some repairs to do before we can start.

Interesting. Good idea. I've been filtering mine thru cheesecloth before storing, then thru a felt bag filter when its almost boiled, then once finished, pour it thru the coffee filter in a funnel into the bottles.

Maybe I'm over killing it? I guess you can never be too safe, but it is a bit of a PITA.....

Will check your vid out later this week.

S.