Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

I'm sceptical of the whole lead thing to be honest. Really, how much lead can there be in a pan that probably 30yrs old, and been used on an open fire to boil sap all that time?

Frig, I handle lead all the time. I melt it and make weights, put sinkers in my mouth etc......a galv pan can't be any worse, no?

This is a maple syrup boiling pan. It even has a plate on the side that says maple something....can't read it, its been burnt off.

Looks like a great pan for $60......?

S.

Great thread ...Excellent video TJ and sweet harvest so far Sinker...(pun intended)...Ive always wanted to do this but have never had the time....you guys are making it harder for me to come up with excuses...My better halfs uncle taps a few hundred trees every year....I have pitched in to help clean out his beer fridge while cleaning up the equipment a few times but now im thinking i want to buy my own beer and have people help me drink...I took a walk in the bush today to run the dogs and the flow is fast and furious....I think its going to be a bumper year for the maple boys....

DSC_2297_zpsf64baf10.jpg

DSC_2315_zps29509b9d.jpg

DSC_2329_zps355baeb9.jpg

DSC_2335_zps813c7f9b.jpg

Cheers

Twocoda, if you have the opportunity to try your hand at it, don't let it slip by. I experienced the sugar bush as a kid, and was ever so glad to take the time to make that experience possible for my kids and many of their friends for a few years.

LOL... he twocoda.. those are some old taps!! Great Picture of the drop!! Sunny day today crossing my fingers that shes gonna start to go! Still alot of snow , but the bases of the trees are starting to thaw.

Sinker... ya.. its definitely not a money making proposition, thats for sure.

"We've been having lots of fun with it. The beer consumed is the most expensive part :) .....and the whiskey."

Ahhhh sweet syrup and smokey whiskey. Super spring combo!

This has been an interesting thread Shane.

Great way to spend the early spring, and get many things out of it for you and your family.

I cant say i have ever been a fan of maple syrup but yesterday i put in the time and did mt first boil...the end reault is two and 3/4s mason jars full....the hardest part of the process was to keep from sampling during the boil....i was targeting the viscosity of corn syrup but came up just shy of that....how do you experienced guys determine how thick it should be?

3 five gallon pails worth....i just kept adding to the turkey deepfryer until it was all used up.....tastes awesome but i think i did something wrong.....it looks dark golden on a spoon but not so much golden in the mason jars.....im going to try another 5 gallons today and try to hold the temperature steady at 219

Edited by Twocoda

That sounds about right if you go by the 40:1 standard ratio. With my set up, I'm getting one 500ml mason jar for each 5 gal pail.

You can't really do anything wrong. Colour will vary. Each of my batches have been different. I did 2 litres last night that were much lighter than the previous batches I did.

It will go quicker if you preheat a pot full instead of adding cold sap to your already boiling pot.

S.

Yup.. i go from a heater to a boiler to the finisher... and ill be doing my first big collection this afternoon, and beginning to boil tomorrow for thew weekend.

Its supposed to be 8 degrees on saturday...might be good to make sure you pails are empty friday night....i boiled down 5gallons today and ended up with 500ml mason jar full of gold.... strange?...ill post pics later of the differences

300 litres collected tonight... still 2 feet of slushy snow.. uhhgg.. got 40 more trees to collect form them start boiling after work to morrow for the weekend!! .. likely be collecting saturday again!

I think im gonna have a ton of company Saturday for the "crepe party" Got Avery coming home and friends from Montreal and Toronto coming up... hope I can stay outta the "sap" lol Wifey is getting the beans ready (they are awesome) but Im making my Pea soup... (which is awesomer... but don't tell her i said that!)

ok so the dark one i made from a 15 gallon batch that i continuously kept adding to the pot....the lighter one i made from a 5 gallon batch without adding any aditional sap as it was boiled....the difference in colour is quite different but the viscosity is the same and the taste is the same but i find the lighter jar to be more appealing to the eyes....so i think i learned a lesson in technique for my personal preference :clapping:DSC_2425_zpsfac6637c.jpg

I think ill use the darker syrup as a glaze for smoked fish....but the light stuff ill probably chug and chase it with a few beers...lol

Wow that is a difference in colour.. Ive been eating home made for alot of years and as far as im concerned, once you go black... Well you know.. Lol.. I love it thick and darker. Personally i think that the industry pushes that grade a light stuff cause after that.. Its all profit loss. If it sits and theres no sugar in the bottom.. Ya didnt boil it enough. But thats just me.