MNR playing tricks on Simcoe today!

NAW

I was part of a little CO game today on Simcoe. We where fishing a group of people. One of many failed spots on a long loop around Simcoe. I needed to get home, so we packed up and left. We where driving thru the group of people heading home. And saw 2 Conservation Officers with a K9 searching a portable hut. We just kept on driving along slowly. We pulled out of the group and accelerated toward home. Not 30 seconds later there's a CO coming towards us waving us down. This CO must have been riding along with the other 2. Sitting back with binoculars, watching to see what guys pack up and leave when they see the COs checking huts. He must have got a good vibe, because he didn't ask us to see any documentation. Sent us on our way. And he also told us that KNOWBODY is catching whitefish on Simcoe.

Edited by N.A.W

Dog on Temagami knows the difference between a Whitie and a Laker. They ask you first if you have any fish.. so you can incriminate yourself.. before letting the dog go dig them out of the snow! lol Bet they're looking for herring.. no other reason to have the dog out there.

I bet there are a lot of people taking home herring :)

I could well imagine.

Fish, Drugs or Beer?

I find that strange

I am not 100% sure. But I believe the MNR have dogs that are trained to sniff out fresh fish and game. Heck, I think you could train any dog to do that! And sure, they are always looking for alcohol and drugs. But I think the dog is there for fish (and training).

Edit... Now that i see Wayne's post, that firms it up..

Edited by N.A.W

Poor bugger.. .. "sorry hun.. I can't get married that weekend, I'm going ice fishing with the lads" ! "no worries... I'm up for that" !

Just asking. Can a CO give you a ticket for beer on the ice or sittin at the side of a lake. I'm not gonna say I haven't and been asked by CO's before with beer in plain view for my fishing license. Just wondering while we're on topic. And yeah in what I've seen they've been out on Simcoe every outing I've been on this winter.

Edited by pidge

How do you know the dog was with the CO?

I have had the fish sniffing dogs go thru our gear on lake jow before.

S.

I have lots of experience working with professional K9 units. There was no question, this was an MNR K9 unit.

Just asking. Can a CO give you a ticket for beer on the ice or sittin at the side of a lake. I'm not gonna say I haven't and been asked by CO's before with beer in plain view for my fishing license. Just wondering while we're on topic. And yeah in what I've seen they've been out on Simcoe every outing I've been on this winter.

Yes the CO's where given the power to lay liquor offences charges a few years back. We never have booze on the ice.. but asked them outright last year what their thoughts were... and the CO and OPP both told us they considered a beer in a hut no different than a beer in a tent on the crown shore in the summer (and they can't lay a charge for that). Of course getting silly... and then driving your sled would have the same consequences as driving your boat!

It's probably the most efficient way to use what budget they DO have. :good:

Yep. I am glad to see it.

The guy who stopped us was on a newer model sled. Had a nice high quality new suite. That really is what they need. I remember several years ago, I saw a CO running Simcoe on a beat up old Tundra, with an old warn out, torn up suite. I'm guessing that guy's normal shift is up north.. :dunno:

Edited by N.A.W

Maybe I'm slow, but where's does trickery come in?

2 COs roll in to a big crowd and have a third CO hang way back. See who packs up first and leaves the area to avoid a spot check. That's playing a trick in my mind. If not, then what else would you call it?

Yep. I am glad to see it.

The guy who stopped us was on a newer model sled. Had a nice high quality new suite. That really is what they need. I remember several years ago, I saw a CO running Simcoe on a beat up old Tundra, with an old warn out, torn up suite. I'm guessing that guy's normal shift is up north.. :dunno:

Nick,was he a young lad? Did he have those wheels on the skis? Terry and I had a young fella come by last weekend. I showed him my PC print off lic. No prob.He knows theres a time thing going on with the system. We chatted and off he went. The way it,s to be. Hell,whats he going to think of to ole boys sitting and watching a video game.LOL

Nice to see young blood out there.

As for the K-9. Buddy at work had them stop at his hut. Huge chocolate lab. Those dogs are trained smart. I can remember when they brought one to the hunt club. They stashed a bag of fish in the engine. Man I thought that dog was going to rip the front end apart.

Edited by Misfish

2 COs roll in to a big crowd and have a third CO hang way back. See who packs up first and leaves the area to avoid a spot check. That's playing a trick in my mind. If not, then what else would you call it?

Sorry my friend,thats not a trick,thats,catching you in the act.

Ya, I wouldn't call that trickery either. That's what they do. They do the same on the water with a spotting scope.

Best to play by the rules and answer questions honestly. They will "trick" you every time!

S.