Girls minor hockey rant

muskymatt

My daughters hockey game tonight.

It's a 0-0 tie, 4 seconds left in the game. The puck bounces to her to the left of her goalie, knowing she can't make a play down ice and wanting to waste the clock, she peels off behind her own net and turns to neutralize the puck. At the exact time the buzzer goes off to end the game, a player from the other team flies in and creams her from behind into the boards.

What kind of idiot does that? Who raises a tard of a meathead kid who thinks like that?

What a shame, a waste to an otherwise enjoyable game. I don't put my kids in sports to watch them get seriously hurt.

Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed!!

I know when I played minor hockey, I never watched the clock. If I had a chance to cream someone, it wouldn't matter how many seconds were on the clock. That being said, the hit being from behind is just uncalled for. But remember these are kids. Important thing is that she's ok... If you're worried about her getting hurt, perhaps she shouldn't be playing a contact sport.

Is she ok?

It's not like it was a 7-0 game and the other player was ticked (not that that is an excuse).

She's a bit shook up, sore wrist but will be fine. It could have been much worse.

Its no contact midget b girls. They battle for the puck and yes it does get rough, but hits, open ice or into the boards is not allowed. They have little stop signs on the back of their jerseys.

It was just so uncalled for, actions like that tonight, create statistics.

I know when I played minor hockey, I never watched the clock. If I had a chance to cream someone, it wouldn't matter how many seconds were on the clock. That being said, the hit being from behind is just uncalled for. But remember these are kids. Important thing is that she's ok... If you're worried about her getting hurt, perhaps she shouldn't be playing a contact sport.

its girls hockey, im pretty sure its no contact.

Whoops! Disregard my reply Matt, I assumed she played in a contact league. Then yeah, absolutely no excuse for that.. Will the other kid receive a suspension?

The reffs hold the ability to suspend or carry further action to the league if the want to. Not sure if further action was initiated after the game. The team will likely look into it.

The reffs hold the ability to suspend or carry further action to the league if the want to. Not sure if further action was initiated after the game. The team will likely look into it.

no contact and still hit from behind ? offender should sit out for a bunch of games if not the rest of the season. coach should go back to school as well. and the refs ? they should rtfm

Put 3 boys through the minor hockey rep system and Lax to Junior,coached rep, so glad I am out of that racket now.

I had the experience of being in the hospital on more than one occasion with my boys for various incidents and I can honestly say not one of the injuries was as a result of a clean with-in the rules play.

The worst experience was watching one of my boys being straped to back board and him telling me he couldn`t feel his legs talk about a humbling experience...another was being lambasted by a well respected neurosurgeon for letting my son play such a barbaric sport.

If I had to do it all over again I would sign them up for Badminton!

I hope your girl is okay!

I have 3 kids in hockey the oldest is playing jr B,my daughter plays midget A and youngest boy plays peewee A. Lets just say I have been around the game alot in the last 15 years,I have coached boys A to AAA and have done some scouting for a jr team. The one thing I have noticed in the last 5-8 years is growing disrespect players have for each other on the ice. The amount of cheapshots seems to be increasing every year. My oldest has had a broken collar bone,and a seperated shoulder from hits from behind that threw him into the boards. My youngest just finshed a playoff series that saw the other team have 4 kids suspended during the series and his team 2 kids all from hits from behind.My daughters team has had 2 girls suspended this year for the same and have several other senseless penalties for body checking when there is no checking in girls hockey. I am not sure where the blame lies,the kid,the coach or the parent. I have come across many coaches who coach this style and dealt with many parents who enforce this type play in their kids. Sometimes it is just the kid,can not control themselves.Sad to think this is being taught to players but in many cases it is true.

Hope your daughter is okay and the player gets a suspension.

No excuse for a Midget player to do that.. cheap.. cheap.

There is always a few idiots on the ice. I've had both shoulders dislocated, broken wrist, and a broken collerbone due to cheap shots. And a few concusions trying to pay them back ;)

Most recently I was taken out in early Januray this year with a knee to knee cheap shot playing competitive mens league. Seasons over for me... knee is messed. Other injuries happened when I was younger, healed quicker. It never stops.

I remember watching my nephew who plays AAA get smoked by a cheapie in Minor Pee Wee. Man you anger sure esculates when its family it happens too... I could just imagine how fuming you were MuksyMatt.

Glad she is ok.

Edited by Harrison

There was something on the news last week where a 15 year old boy playing house league was slammed into the boards from behind and ended up with 3 broken vertebrae in his neck.

He's gonna wear a brace for a few months but will evidently be OK, although they say he'll never be able to play contact sports again.

He's definitely lucky though, it coulda been a whole bunch worse.

Good to hear your daughter's OK too Matt, that stuff is scary.

There was something on the news last week where a 15 year old boy playing house league was slammed into the boards from behind and ended up with 3 broken vertebrae in his neck.

He's gonna wear a brace for a few months but will evidently be OK, although they say he'll never be able to play contact sports again.

He's definitely lucky though, it coulda been a whole bunch worse.

Good to hear your daughter's OK too Matt, that stuff is scary.

Thanks guys!

It can get stupid but remove enough of the stupid people and folks will get the hint. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance.

She is much better, looking forward to a tournament this weekend in Clarington

Glad to hear your daughter is okay Matt. I spent alot of time coaching hockey over the years. From atom house league right up tp midget rep. My most memorable times were with the little ones just teaching what an off side was and learning to skate. In the more competative leagues I always told my players to play hard but play safe, or they would be sitting. Always had a few players that had to be kept on a short leash because of their tempers and overly aggressive play. Any dirty play and they would sit a few shifts and be told why they were sitting. It worked for me, usually had to deal with the kids old man after the game as well, pissed off that I sat his kid for the last period or whatever. Alot of times the kids play was caused by the oldman telling them to play that way. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.