Spring fishing show,maybe it,s just me,,,

misfish

I went to the show to spend a few hours that would have otherwise been spent at home doing nothing... Having said that, I was interested in looking at some electronics - only one vendor had anything, and some bass baits - show promised to be a bass show and yet there were no deals to be had on something as simple as spinner baits.

I have to say I was disappointed with the lack of selection. No real deals to be had for me.

In response to the earlier post that it costs the vendors a lot of money to set up a booth... They are there to win my business, what is their value proposition? These are a for-profit businesses, I can't say I've ever had anyone spot me a few hundred bucks just because the cost of living has gone up. After all, we are not talking about supporting a charitable organization here.

First off,I would like to thank those that offered up free tickets to me.I did get a free pass to the show today.So I left work at 11 am and headed down to the show.Since I was going that way,I headed to brandt meats factory first to get some supplies of smoked meats. :worthy:

Once I arrived at the show,my first thing to do,once I was in,,was to find the Fish-A-Thon For A Cure booth,that Dan and Ryan were manning. Well I walked around,and around,til I found them. It was nice to meet with them and drop off a donation to this up coming years event.( I was waiting for ,YA WANT A BEER, but it never happen. LOL) After a quick chat,I was off to make my rounds. Met friends,that were manning other spots at the dealers. It was nice to see them after a year or so.

Now heres where,if I was paying my bucks to enter ,comes in. Walking through the booths,I was seeing not many savings. Alot of prices were the same as going to the store it,s self,if not,higher. I was looking for river/stream fly fishing stuff . This is a fishing/boat show,after all.. Walking through I seen mostly bass and salmon stuff. There was a glass case of high end pin reels I seen and got glassy eyed at,but Im not there to spend 700+ for a reel.

I was looking for a 6-7 wt fly rod,,but not for 600 bucks. If I want to spend that,I know where to go. :canadian:

As I make my way back to the north end of the building,I come to the boat section. Here I can say,if you are there to look at boats,well,there ya go. Lots of eye candy. Aluimcraft had some real nice boats. IMO But I wasnt there for a boat,but if I was,I would be happy.

So on my walk back to find the place to meet the boss,I come across what I was looking for,FISHING FLIES,REEL FLIES. Everything from pike/bass and trout of many types. Finally find the glory hole.

I waited til the guy running it was done talking to another customer,then get my chance to talk to him. I told him I was a newby,what,where I was fishing,and it was like he had been there . He pointed out many flies I should try. The one,s that caught my eye was the egg pattern for stealhead. Then there were the dry flies. So I grab about $20 worth. I thanked him,and now have an on line site to buy from.

011-6_zps9bfc742f.jpg

I also have an order in for a new pair of Korkers :good:

It was the last ditch effort to find the boss. Walk around,find the watering hole,and nada.

Home time.

So,is it me,or is it just the way the show is run.?

IMO,If it,s going to be a fishing and boat show,it needs to direct it to all fishing. Like I said,I seen more bass and salmon,and very little to the rest of the sport of fishing.

With that said

Advance taxidermy had a great booth. Heres some pics.

002-24_zps168813af.jpg

003-22_zps8aa430e4.jpg

004-13_zpsf270f5be.jpg

005-19_zps12878275.jpg

006-11_zps7ebcf513.jpg

007-8_zpsaeeb72bb.jpg

008-9_zps4320e1a0.jpg

010-10_zps41046fbf.jpg

you stated that you were looking for a Fly Rod Combo 6wt.. well you should have checked out True Canadian Outdoors in the far corner because they had a Fenwick Fly Rod 6 wt with backing & case for 90.00 .. you just have to ask and you will find..

Edited by Loonietoon

i truly enjoyed the fishing show this year.

just got back, enjoying a lazy sunday afternoon there with my father.

i can't complain. i was able to pick up my custom bass magnet tubes (mike was kind enough to pour a colour that he discontinued in the past - gotta love local product manufacturers), i picked up a couple of the new rapala balsa baits in purpledesence, and was able to grab a special mate crank bait box.

spoke to many of the friendly lodge owners. dad picked up a few packs of lemon senko's and some dt10's on deep discount.

free parking and 15 bucks for an adult to get in - that's ok with me.

even had lunch at the natural submarine sandwich place, dad and I, and it cost under 30 bucks for the total. not bad for a couple of foot longs and a pop each.

i'd recommend it to anyone who is on the edge.

Edited by Steve

If you guys are looking for tackle deals I suggest you go to your local tackle swaps. I just went to one in London last weekend and there were some great deals to be had on both used and new baits, as well as rods and reels. I believe there is one coming up in April in Hamilton.

Also one in Ft Erie march 10th

If you guys are looking for tackle deals I suggest you go to your local tackle swaps. I just went to one in London last weekend and there were some great deals to be had on both used and new baits, as well as rods and reels. I believe there is one coming up in April in Hamilton.

If you know there is another one in London please lmk I would be interested in heading down to check it out. Maybe even get a table.

When is the Hamilton one? Last I heard it was the weekend after the muskies Canada odyssey. Does anyone have info on it?

If you know there is another one in London please lmk I would be interested in heading down to check it out. Maybe even get a table.

When is the Hamilton one? Last I heard it was the weekend after the muskies Canada odyssey. Does anyone have info on it?

Mike, keep an eye on the "Announcements and Contests" sub forum. That's where these things are posted. Events such as tackle swaps, tournaments, sales etc...

Thanks again Roy I just got a email from Dave the guy who runs it. April 20th is the date they are working on the details they will have 40 booths if anyone wants one. I will have totalk to the wife and see what our plans are as it is a week after the odyssey. I would like to go just to meet up with people I know from the board and have not met yet. Last year it was from 9am-1pm. If its not posted when I get the info back from him I will also post it.

Thanks again for teh help I will try and remember the other sections. One thing I dont like about them is you can not reply I know its for announcements but its hard to get answers whe nyou can not reply. I also know you can Pm but I would guess that others might have the same questions.

I like shows. They're a great place to socialize and network. They're fun entertainment. And the seminars are always good. That's why you go. But anyone who goes to a show expecting to find amazing deals on high-end equipment will usually be disappointed. You hear about the odd exception, but for thge most part, dealers go to get rid of stale product or blow-out stuff they didn't pay a lot for to begin with. It's the grab bags and high markup stuff that makes it worth their time to attend.

I agree completely. I saw a bunch of people.. (sorry Brian :( ) But we actually did get what I though was a FANTASTIC deal on rainwear.

i picked up a new reel for $100 taxes in, that wouldve cost me $119 + tax at the store, or $129 + tax & shipping online.

got a great deal.

Plus they have a lot of gear that you cant get in local tackle shops, and have to order online.

this is a good chance to pick those things up without paying shipping.

plus great seminars, demos, speakers, etc.

cant see how you can wrong here.