NF - Quitting Smoking

Rich

Be careful with Champix it has recently been known to give many users increase risk of heart attacks. Zyban has also been known to create bad depression in users.

My Doctor is convinced the only way to go is cold turkey with an aid like Nicorette or patch. I only know this as 3 years ago when Champix came out I tried it and quite. I stayed a non smoker for 2 1/2 years and as people have mentioned above the "one" cigarette got me right back into it. I have been speaking to my Doctor recently about quitting smoking again and she explained the above about Champix and Zyban to me and is reluctant to prescribe it again. Damn smokes. The weight that comes with quitting concerns me as well...but the last time I quit I stayed fairly active so I didn't pack on a lot of weight but I did put on a few extra pounds. No easy answer or way to quit.

I stayed a non smoker for 2 1/2 years and as people have mentioned above the "one" cigarette got me right back into it. Damn smokes.

So true. I quit at age 20 for 7 years, a few cigars and I was back into it in no time. When I quit 16 years ago, I went into it with the thought that "I was one puff away from a pack a day". I will never take that one puff ever again.

I never smoked but a friend told me he put 5 old butts in a pill bottle and filled it with water, put the cap on and giver a shake. He put it in his pocket, every time he felt the craving, he opened the bottle and stuck his finger in and shoved some of the juice up his nose. Didn't take long for him to quite. Or it could have been the quadruple bypass they did when they opened his guys up.

Good luck Rich. All the money you spent on that crap you could be driving a new ProV Lund. Just a thought

Stick to it Rich :good:

As I mentioned before I quit with the aid of Champix Dec 26 ,2010. On Feb. 13, 2010 I fell and broke my ankle and have since had 3 operations on it. Through quitting smoking and being very inactive ,due to my ankle, I've gained 40 pounds and developed type 2 diabetes . I often wonder if I should have quit with all that has happened since I quit.

I tried the pills... talk about insane nightmares... I seriously.scared those close to me.... I was a mad man...... it was disturbing...

I tried the patch.... I smoked wearing it...

my only option is cold turkey..... god help those around me...

anyways rich I sent u a pm... perhaps a gentleman's bet?

G

24 hours smober now! The e-cig is an incredible help for the mental part of the cravings. Until it flings out of your pocket and into the river. :(

Don't forget that there is no failer in quiting smoking only success. :thumbsup_anim:

If you want to you will....

Its easy after 4 days :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by saltydawg

Well I've been reading this one with great interest and can relate to so many of the previous posters and of course to the OP. 17 months plus for me now.......LOVE it. You think you liked smoking? Wait until you succeed at being a non-smoker!!!!

Rich, I was feeling the same thing....just wasn't enjoying it anymore....if in fact I ever really did. I believe your receptors enjoy the nicotine, but beyond that there is nothing good to be gained from smoking....period. Nothing....period. I honestly couldn't put a single thing in the "pros" column.

I chose my 40th birthday as my quit day and will never smoke another cigarette in my life.....ever....period. Tried many times before (cold turkey, "weaning off", Champix, bets with buddies, blah blah blah) but this time I win. Determination, conviction and more determination is the best way IMHO, not to say others won't work - pick from the myriad of suggests above and stick with it.

"Fight fire with fire". "I won't ever smoke another cigarette in my life"....wish I had a penny for every time I've said or thought this since I quit, although I hardly ever have to now. Repetition is what got us all into this mess so seemed like a good technique to get me out of it. "I'll never smoke after my 40th birthday". "I won't ever smoke another cigarette in my life" repeat repeat repeat....by saying these things to as many people as will stop and listen I've left myself little choice but to keep succeeding. :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

I sincerely wish you the best of luck but honestly luck has nothing to do with it, no matter how you choose to go forward. It really sounds to me like you've gotten past the most difficult hurdle.....YOU WANT TO QUIT. You have quit. Stay quit.

Cravings are short. Don't make this any more complicated than it needs to be.

"I won't ever smoke another another cigarette in my life".....beautiful

Keep at 'er bud!! The days will turn to weeks and then to months. I'm going through Chemo right now and I'm 11 days short of my 42nd b-day. I was never a professional smoker, I'd bum a smoke here or there but never really felt the urge to go buy a pack. Don't go looking for what I'm going through now. It isn't easy and each time you go in it takes more out of you. Those of you that still smoke, PM me and I will tell you about what chemo does to you and what bad reactions to the drugs do to you.

Keep at 'er bud!! The days will turn to weeks and then to months. I'm going through Chemo right now and I'm 11 days short of my 42nd b-day. I was never a professional smoker, I'd bum a smoke here or there but never really felt the urge to go buy a pack. Don't go looking for what I'm going through now. It isn't easy and each time you go in it takes more out of you. Those of you that still smoke, PM me and I will tell you about what chemo does to you and what bad reactions to the drugs do to you.

you hang in there Bigbuck... I've had a few friend go through what your going through. Stay positive and get strength from love ones!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching this thread with great interest since it was started as I also made a commitment to make 2013 the year I quit.

Like most who have been succesful, I no longer "enjoyed" smoking. Being tied to the lung dart was having it's effects on me and it was time to break the habit. 25 year pack a day smoker.

Now into day 4 without a cig and I feel great!!!!!!!!

Found this neat little app that i put on my desktop at work as a reminder of how much I smoked, how much it cost me and how many days I am smoke free. Here's the URL if interested http://www.silkquit....quit-meter.aspx

Sure is going to be easier to justify a new Lund this spring :clapping: :clapping:

Three days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 45 seconds. 100 cigarettes not smoked, saving $46.11. Life saved: 8 hours, 20 minutes.

Good luck to all of us who are in the same boat and never forget that you are one smoke away from a pack a day.

Chris

I quit back in April and can finally say that I'm a non-smoker. I started dipping at 11 and smoking at 13. Finally at 38 I woke up and said enough. Keep at er guys. It gets easier. I started jogging as well (if you can call it that lol) That has really helped. For myself, I found it too much to think about quitting as one big process. I just kept telling myself that if I still really wanted a smoke tomorrow then I would consider it. Each day kept saying that. It worked for me. Find something healthy to replace it with and good luck! :good:

I'm done with smoking, cravings are gone.. if anyone else wants to quit - theres plenty of great advice in this thread to help. I say, just do it. Dont set a date, today is the date! Get er done.. its 3 days of struggle.. after that its easy as hell! Just get through three days. Can you last 3 days without fishing? Then you should be able to last 3 days without dirty smokes!!!