NF - Quitting Smoking

Rich

For all of us who recently gave up the lung darts.

Think of how much money we`ve saved for the finer things in life.

Day 28 and $380 in my pocket.

The fishing gear could get a serious overhaul this year. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

LOL !!!! Overhauled mine already :whistling: 2 new reels, and a custom Kistler rod LOL !!!!!! Have no choice now....can't afford to restart now :D

Champix had me off the sticks for 5 months years back but the random piercing temple pains and the fact that I wasn't ready to quit ended that streak . Most use different coping mechanisms and/or combinations thereof . Then there are those that can drop the habit like trash. I dislike those people.....hehehe. Imo, Deciding you were "ready" to quit was the single most defining factor in the process and should be what you commit to in times of weakness. It can be a helluva nut to crack. A cousin of mine has been clean for 5 years and still has cravings at times. Keep at it and Best of luck.

Question. Have anglers ever really need an excuse to buy equipment?

Edited by moxie

• 2 weeks later...

There are 3 things that you have to try to control when quitting smoking.

1. Psychological addiction

2. Physical addiction

3. Chemical addiction.

1. Like all addictions, smoking is like your best friend. Always there and you felt better afterward. You belonged to an exclusive group...the smokers. Yup, it's in your head. That's what Champx and Zyban are supposed to help control. Both are mild antidepressants and one of the side effects is that they help block those good buddy urges by releasing some chemical (can't remember the name)in your body that make you feel better. Unfortunately there are some negative side effects too for some people.

To make me feel good when I quit, I started fly tying. I got pretty good at it after a while and I have thousands of flies to prove it. Caught a lot of steelhead with them too. I keep focused on tying in the winter every time I had a chance. In the warmer months I took up wood working.I started to make book selves. I made my daughter a loft bed and a lot of bird feeders. I found that if I stayed busy and accomplished things that I didn't need a smoke as a reward. I fixed a pile of things in the house too. I also learned to cook a lot of different meals. Got pretty good at that too.

2.The physical addiction was the easiest part to control. You know the drill. Check the smokes before the variety store closes. The lighter is in your right hand pants pocket when you leave the house. The smokes are in your back pocket. The smokes are always on the coffee table on the same spot. You check them a least 10 times a day. You get the idea. A lighter that didn't work anymore was a major crisis. Well, I replaced all that with a water bottle. I found a little one (250ml I think) at a dollar store and I carried it around everywhere, even to the bathroom when doing my morning business. Didn't go anywhere without it. And I drank a pile of water. I guess that help flush out the nicotine in my system.

3. The chemical addiction didn't take too long to deal with. After a couple of weeks I felt that urge to smoke only when I was really stressed. I started my evening walks. Everyday, rain or shine, hot or cold I go for a 45 minute walk. -29C is the coldest I'v walked in. So some of my neighbours have joined in and now we have a group of 4 guys that walk almost everyday. I bike almost everyday when it's warm. Need milk and bread, I just jump on the bike and go. Bring the water bottle. No more urges.

My weight went up about 20 pounds at first but slowly I lost most of it. I don't feel any better than I did when I was smoking(my health was good then). I learned to fly tie and now I am making trolling spoons for walleye. I found that if I didn't think about smoking I didn't.

Stay active and set positive goals for yourself. Aim high, you'll be surprised what you can accomplish. All the advice that these guys have given is so true. Once you quit, you will look back and laugh, "What was I thinking...."

That was 15+ years ago.

muddler

Day 19 for me, and other than the odd crave, its been pretty easy(touch wood). Two more weeks left on Habitrol patches, Step 1, then i step down. Spoke with the pharmacist, and to control the odd strong crave, he suggested the Nicorette Lozenge.It contains 2mg of Nicotine, same as a cigarette.So far, i ahve only needed 1.

First thing i noticed, was that my cough is gone, and no more wheezing.Now my sense of smell is amazeing!! someone said i looked younger, but thats from the love, not from me quitting :P

I started an excersize program before quitting, and am stepping it up a notch.Down 40 lbs, so hope i dont gain it back :whistling: