Gunna have to sell my house...

mike rousseau

Catch your own. It's 5 mins of work.

Yep :thumbsup_anim: when dad had the cottage in Haliburton we used a lot that size for pickeral and lakers. We knew all the culverts and bridges on creeks with a good chub population nearby. Rather than trap we found an ultralite with a tiny hook and bit of worm was best, we kept a hardware cloth box floating under the dock and stocked it up when ever we was low.

Yep :thumbsup_anim: when dad had the cottage in Haliburton we used a lot that size for pickeral and lakers. We knew all the culverts and bridges on creeks with a good chub population nearby. Rather than trap we found an ultralite with a tiny hook and bit of worm was best, we kept a hardware cloth box floating under the dock and stocked it up when ever we was low.

Give That Man A Beer

Pretty much, that's insane..

I paid $23 for 1 dozen big sucker minnows last week and I thought that was expensive, lol!

The creek on my farm in Cookstown is worth more than the land it runs through! They are in there by the hundreds, never touched except for a muskrat that feeds on them!

They are probably chub, never bother them . . .

I bought an umbrella net from ctc for 20 bucks. Worth every penny. If i need bait i usually catch small minnows from the creek behind my house, usually salt/freeze them as i know its illegal to transport them live. Works just fine for me, the fish and my paycheck.

Edited by Rich

I bought an umbrella net from ctc for 20 bucks. Worth every penny. If i need bait i usually catch small minnows from the creek behind my house, usually salt/freeze them as i know its illegal to transport them live. Works just fine for me, the fish and my paycheck.

Why in the world is it illegal to transport live minnows?? Doesn't say anything about that in the Reg book I read....

Why in the world is it illegal to transport live minnows?? Doesn't say anything about that in the Reg book I read....

Pretty easy to transport invasive species from one body of water to another if you're not extremely careful.

I've always trapped my minnows from the same lake that I was fishing in, that way anything I'm tossing into the lake was already there and I don't have to worry about it.

Pretty easy to transport invasive species from one body of water to another if you're not extremely careful.

I've always trapped my minnows from the same lake that I was fishing in, that way anything I'm tossing into the lake was already there and I don't have to worry about it.

Good practice, but it's not illegal

Al, remind me to ask you next year if I can go in and catch a few :) :)

yes another thing I do sometimes is go to a creek in north burlington, and catch 2-3 doz. chubs and sucker minnows. I just freeze them and take out however many I think I'll need for some pike fishing. Nothing illegal about that other than it might look like I am trying to poach brookies.

There had been a dirty little bait ban to try to stop the spread of VHS (no not the Punky old video cassette), but I'm not sure if that was enforced/put into play. If you aren't allowed to transport live forage fish, then what's the use of selling forage fish?

Transporting exotic invasives (gobies etc) live is a no go..

I can still remember the days where live crayfish were sold at tackle shops before the spread of those aggressive rusty gumbos.

I was under the impression catching bait in one waterbody and bringing to another was illegal?

It is illegal to transport sport fish, not bait fish. Also, do not release left over bait fish into a new water body; dump your left overs on land. There may also be special regulations about transporting minnows from one zone to another.