* UPDATE* Snowmachine....waddayathink.. MY NEW RIDE IS.....

limeyangler

Simon,I have a the expedition le with the 600sdi engine and it will go any where.Two flip up with all the gear for three and three on the sled was not a problem.

I can break trail in deep snow.Slush hardly slows me down and it still lifts the skis and is quite fast.It`s a great all round sled.

I still like the tundra myself.

You get that bigger sled stuck and you will be wishing it was a tundra.

Just my opinion.

S.

I hear ya Sinker...but I think it's a trade off between more likely to bog down in slush on the tundra but relatively easier to get out as opposed to less likely to get stuck but harder to get out when you do with the Expedition.

Simon,I have a the expedition le with the 600sdi engine and it will go any where.Two flip up with all the gear for three and three on the sled was not a problem.

I can break trail in deep snow.Slush hardly slows me down and it still lifts the skis and is quite fast.It`s a great all round sled.

Hey Paul, what are the specs on your sled...track length...weight....hp?

It`s 127in long x 48in. Ski stance is 40in. Weight is 630lbs. Track is 20in wide x 156in long 1.25. It has a ripsaw track on it and very wide skis.

It is very comfortable to ride. I don`t know what the HP`s of the engine,But it`s more then enough.

It`s a great sled. You should get one. You will have no worries out there.

I`m thinking of studding the track. But it will cost a small fortune too do it right.

Not a 100% on this. Most sleds >500cc will not have too many problems in slush. I say this because these sleds can move fast enough to stay on top of the slop. Now if you need to slow down, you will sink and start ploughing. A light sled with a large surface area contacting the snow (hence the numbers I posted earlier) likely means lower speeds while staying on top. Imagine water skiing. Powder is one thing, slush is another. Often they come hand in hand, particularly early in the year when the weight of the snow pushes down on the ice. At the end of the season, travel earlier in the am when the slush is more frozen and hope for the best on return home – or wait until it freezes at night again. A big lug track will eat the slush but rougher ride on bare ice.

Dont be afraid to look at a 600etec...lots of power compared to the ace.I thought about trading up my 2011 renegade 600etec to a 1200 renegade but the the thing that stops me is the 1200 in any configuration just seems like a tank imo.

We just purchased a renegade 600ace and brought it home yesterday,couldnt resist ripping it across the lawn....the little ace rips for a 60 odd hp sled.

If i was in the market for a sled for what your looking for it probably would have the 600etec in it...great on gas(approx 350 km per tank)doesn't stink like the old 2 strokes,does not use alot of oil,makes decent hp.

I wish i could be more confident of the 600ACE.....but i dont want to buy what will be the last sled purchase for a long ...long time and end up underpowered.

The E-techs do seem nice and really rip as you say....even though they are good on gas i think the market is heading in the 4 stroke direction. 19mpg on a 1200 is good enough for me.

yes hp will power through slush, don't be worried about the bit of extra weight from the 4-tech it is a bomb proof engine easily outlast the chassis while the e-tech is the top of line 2 stoke it is still a 2 stroke and engine life can be a concern, double check the stats as well think the e tech requires premium fuel

Thanks. I checked the stats.....its actually the E-tech that needs premium. :thumbsup_anim:

It`s 127in long x 48in. Ski stance is 40in. Weight is 630lbs. Track is 20in wide x 156in long 1.25. It has a ripsaw track on it and very wide skis.

It is very comfortable to ride. I don`t know what the HP`s of the engine,But it`s more then enough.

It`s a great sled. You should get one. You will have no worries out there.

I`m thinking of studding the track. But it will cost a small fortune too do it right.

Thanks a million Paul....same track W/L as the 2013.....the 4 Tech 1200 is 35lbs heavier than yours. Fantastic to get your input....actual rider reviews...cant get better than that. It really looks like a great sled....will call some dealers on Monday morning...see what they can do.

Not a 100% on this. Most sleds >500cc will not have too many problems in slush. I say this because these sleds can move fast enough to stay on top of the slop. Now if you need to slow down, you will sink and start ploughing. A light sled with a large surface area contacting the snow (hence the numbers I posted earlier) likely means lower speeds while staying on top. Imagine water skiing. Powder is one thing, slush is another. Often they come hand in hand, particularly early in the year when the weight of the snow pushes down on the ice. At the end of the season, travel earlier in the am when the slush is more frozen and hope for the best on return home – or wait until it freezes at night again. A big lug track will eat the slush but rougher ride on bare ice.

We dont get much bare ice here, plenty of snow right up till a couple weeks before ice out. All i know is that i am getting a lot of feedback sugesting the 600ACE may be a little underpowered...maybe fine by myself not towing anything...but with a 3 man flip up with 200lbs+ of gear and a passenger...not so sure.

Like i said my old XLT (600lb) could power through some insanely deep slush with a passenger and my flip up.....only ever got stuck once...that was from a standing start.....as long as you pinned 'it as soon as you felt the slush...you were good....so i'm more confident and practised at avoiding slush hazards the horsepower way.....the 4 Tech 1200 has plenty of HP and some awesome flotation with the 20"x156" track...not to mention the articulating rear suspension for backing up in deep snow (slush?).

I dont want to get too obsessed with the 'slush' factor in my decision making process....but since i dont 'trail ride' and ice fishing is what its for it high on the list of essential capabilities.

It does not harm that it is reprted to ride almost as nicely as a touring model, my wife and jack will appreciate that.

I have seen Tybo with 3 people on his and towing 2 huts behind, like they weren't even there

I'll be fine then.....the wife hardly ever comes out with me and i dont think i even have as many as 3 friends....lol :thumbsup_anim:

The Tundra's are great Simon. They're great work horses, not too heavy and with good speed for your intended need. If buying a sled myself I'd likely go that route too. Bravo with no suspension is starting to kill the back... that Tundra is the next step up with some more engine and creature comforts. About $3500 more though...

Don't like the Tundra seating as much and wish they'd either extend it or make some sort of cargo feature to the back but hey, you'll be riding smooth on a good engine. Rotax has been decent for me in the past. And if towing your gear that'll do just fine.

You'll be loving the snow this year.

Ernie is right on. That 1200 4 stroke has been a terrific engine.

I was doubtful of it when I first seen them in the sleds, but even the serious trail guys are using them now.

If they come into the shop at all, it's usually for maintainence or chassis work, not the engine itself.

Very NICE sled Simon.You know we are not getting any snow this year,right?

:sarcasm:

LOL Rick.......at this rate i will have to dewinterize the lawn tractor and give the yard another buzz cut!

Hard to believe there is not a single flake on the ground yet eh?

Edited by limeyangler