Grand River feminized fish

rmarentette

CTV has a news story about male fish in the Grand River filled with eggs. This is happening in other North American locations. Several years ago, a study of Walpole Island birth statistics showed an alarming decline in male birth rates due to suspected environmental exposure. Just the other day a comment was made on this board that stated that the environmentalists have gone too far. It's incidents like this that should be raising a red flag, but unfortunately too many people are still in denial! At the risk of being subjected to ridicule or being labeled as an alarmist, here is the link.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.985637

Thank you for sharing....when i saw this post.....i thought it was a joke...but after reading and watching it ....its alarming

Im trying to imagine the impact to the fisheries sector....but not sure if it would really be bad ...........its just so left field....

Something like this is bound to happen when we are putting (stocking) fish all over the country. Why are we catching Pacific Salmon in Ontario and Ontario Brook Trout in BC? Because we can? Stuff like this is just wrong.

Something like this is bound to happen when we are putting (stocking) fish all over the country. Why are we catching Pacific Salmon in Ontario and Ontario Brook Trout in BC? Because we can? Stuff like this is just wrong.

I'd like to know why you think that's AT ALL relevant to this topic.

CTV has a news story about male fish in the Grand River filled with eggs. This is happening in other North American locations. Several years ago, a study of Walpole Island birth statistics showed an alarming decline in male birth rates due to suspected environmental exposure. Just the other day a comment was made on this board that stated that the environmentalists have gone too far. It's incidents like this that should be raising a red flag, but unfortunately too many people are still in denial! At the risk of being subjected to ridicule or being labeled as an alarmist, here is the link.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.985637

You should raise your concern with environmentalists many of whom are modern progressive women on the pill, ask if they are willing to give it up to save the fish, take note of the blank stare you receive in return.

You should raise your concern with environmentalists many of whom are modern progressive women on the pill, ask if they are willing to give it up to save the fish, take note of the blank stare you receive in return.

Although this opinion is twisted in the implied assumption that if we were more conservative as a society we would be better off, it does raise a valid point. How many environmentalists would be willing to give up their car?

For the record the amount of hormones flushed down the toilet is minuscule compared to the chemical hormones released by the industrial sector into our water. I also think that the public is kept in the dark in terms of how much the products they use damage the world we live in. But that is just my opinion as a somewhat left leaning environmentalist, who by my own admission am not willing to give up my car.

I hope you were trying to be ironic by blaming modern progressive women for this problem. I hope you weren't the type of person who watched the meaning of life and had a tear come to your eye during the "Every Sperm is Sacred" bit.

I'd like to know why you think that's AT ALL relevant to this topic.

Even if I'm wrong, and I probably am, it's a man made problem that will never be solved. My opinion is that we are screwing up this planet by the minute and it is irreversible. I'd like to know what your answer is to such problems Joeytier. Relevance solves nothing here.

My new career has me working in water and waste-water. I just came back from Barrie where I took a week long water course put on by Walkerton Clean Water Centre. According to the instructor the Grand River is an absolute horror story. There are lots (I think 7) waste-water treatment plants on the river and although they follow strict Ministry of Environment standards there is still minute ammounts of harmfull chemicals in the effluent that accumulate in the water. Add to that industrial site dumpage/spills, septic tank leechate, city water run-off, and agricultural waste and the river is full of contaminants.

Pretty scarry that several communities draw ther water from the Grand.

Edited by Nipfisher

My new career has me working in water and waste-water. I just came back from Barrie where I took a week long water course put on by Walkerton Clean Water Centre. According to the instructor the Grand River is an absolute horror story. There are lots (I think 7) waste-water treatment plants on the river and although they follow strict Ministry of Environment standards there is still minute ammounts of harmfull chemicals in the effluent that accumulate in the water. Add to that industrial site dumpage/spills, septic tank leechate, city water run-off, and agricultural waste and the river is full of contaminants.

Pretty scarry that several communities draw ther water from the Grand.

Wow.

Not too surprised.

Then add in low waterflow mid summer and winter when less crap is flushed out to Erie

I'd be drinking bottled water

And to think the Grand is very clean now compared to what is was a few decades ago. There are some many emerging chemicals of concern and no one really knows their impact on the environment or people. Very interest episode on nature proposing that chemicals in our environment are partly to blame for societies obesity problem. And unlike diet and exercise it's not something we can change.

This is one reason why I don't consume fish from southern Ontario.

Water that has been treated and distributed to your home is safer then any bottled water!

As far as drinkingwater plant treatment goes. They remove sediment and kill organisms. Usually with chlorine.

Chemicals, heavy metals, hormones -are mostly untouched.

I know in some provinces ( I think Alberta) municipal sewage waste has to be dumped into the river upstream from the drinking water intake. Makes you do a good job treating the waste.

Still, lots of things get thru.

Increased waterflow spring/fall dilutes it all more. But midsummer/winter....... :whistling: