A pair of Bald Eagles

lew

Seems every year we get more Bald Eagles around the Kawarthas and fortunately, there's at least a couple that I see regularily around here.

Today these 2 were quite low and spent about 10 minutes circling directly above the house and I was able to get a few pictures with my point & shoot which unfortunately, just couldn't zoom them in close enough.

Sure wish I had Joey's camera today.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, these bird are just plain majestic and it sure is nice to have them around.

Hope you enjoy these pics

001-17.jpg

002-15.jpg

003-13.jpg

004-13.jpg

006-4.jpg

005-8.jpg

Hey Lew, I have 6 around my house right now! I have no idea what they actually do, but the ones around our house appear to be doing the same thing as in your pics.

Beauty birds for sure, I love seeing them. This time of year, I'm not too sure what their doing, but the sure are active. Flying in loops, chasing each other down etc, very cool to see, especially so close to the ground

Thanks for the pics, much appreciated!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Great pictures Lew, the only birds I get circling here are the buzzards, as slow as I move they must think I am half dead? LOL

A couple of years ago I was out in the yard and my neighbors had their Italian Greyhound out running loose in their yard, a hawk kept diving on it trying to get it. They are smallish, light dogs, 8-10 pounds. When I told them they took the dog inside.

Nice photos Lew!

Be careful with Ol' Marvin. Our friends lost an old teacup poodle to an owl one night in their yard!The dog was very frail and old, and I guess the owl used this to it's advantage. There were other small dogs in the yard, but this one was the slowest and weakest. Easy prey!

Marvins put on a few pounds in his old age so the birds may have a problem lifting him now, but we do keep and eye on him when the eagles are around. :D

One of the neighbors did tell us recently though, that their cat went missing and they figure it was grabbed by a big owl they'd seen in the area several times.

There was another bear right at the end of my driveway this afternoon and he may be more of a concern to the dogs around here than the birds.

There's at least 4 that live in the bush behind me and they get seen all over the place at all times of the day and night.

Nice pics Lew.

I was lucky enough two see two bald eagles across the road from my house last year.

I thought it was such a rare occasion to see two flying together in my neighbourhood, that I should maybe go buy a lotory ticket or something. Then 5 minutes later, my wife called and told me she was pergnant :blink:

Watched a 2 minute dogfight between a Bald Eagle and a seagull on Pigeon. The eagle got close several times but the seagull became exhausted and had to ditch in the water a few times for a second. Then it abruptly ended. Not sure if the eagle wanted the seagull or a fish the gull had. Didn't see one. Amazing

Good. You around on Sunday?? I might be heading up to Pigeon for our annual tourney. I'm hoping to wet a line depending on how work proceeds at the cottage on Saturday. I'll be hitting the water probably around 10am or so depending on how long it takes me to drag the boat from HH to Bobcaygeon. Also, when you coming to HH for a day?? I'll pm you some potential dates next week.

It is great to see them down that way. :thumbsup_anim:

What a treat to see them and get some photos. Great stuff!

it's awesome that they're making a comeback and sighting them is becoming more and more common every year. :thumbsup_anim:

here in brantford there has been a nesting pair near wilkes dam the last couple years. we had the opportunity to see our first "baby" (immature, not colored like an adult yet) bald eagle this summer too.

cambridge has a few flying around the river too...

we had the opportunity to see our first "baby" (immature, not colored like an adult yet) bald eagle this summer too.

It's a coincidence that you posted that because I've had a young eagle flying overhead for the last hour. He's cruising up & down the shoreline so I spose he's searching for shallow swimming fish.

Smaller than the adults I posted the other day and this guy is very dark with a black head.

Still a beautiful bird even when there young.

Here's a couple pictures I got of him.

003_zps9582ab35.jpg

005_zpsb95a036c.jpg

006_zpsf1a0fbd6.jpg

007_zps243ec9c9.jpg

It's a coincidence that you posted that because I've had a young eagle flying overhead for the last hour. He's cruising up & down the shoreline so I spose he's searching for shallow swimming fish.

Smaller than the adults I posted the other day and this guy is very dark with a black head.

Still a beautiful bird even when there young.

Here's a couple pictures I got of him.

that's awesome! i tried getting some action shots of the eagles fishing, but my camera skills are definitely lacking. maybe you're a bit better in that department?

quite honestly, i had no clue that the immature eagle we saw was in fact an eagle until it landed right beside the adult bird near the nest. anyone know how many eggs are laid each year and the survival rate of young bald eagles?