Intro and Algonquin Trip Report

nkuchmak

Hey all,

I've been reading through the amazing information on this site for the past few months and although being a member on many other boards this one truly seems to be a "community" so I figured i should introduce myself. I really enjoy reading the trip reports on here so i will try to return the favour as often as possible. Anyway, heres a little about me...

Im in my mid twenties and have been fishing since I was around 5 and fly fishing since I was 9. Once i finally got a drivers license things took a steep turn and every minute of every day was devoted to fishing particularly fly fishing. Then I moved away for school and luckily gained employment in the far North on the James Bay Coast. One would think, as i did, that moving up north would be great for a fisherman, sadly this was not the case and most of my two years were spent working around the clock with only a few days here and there that i actually fished. When I left my position, I took some time off traveling around Asia and the middle east before ending up back where I started in the GTA. Despite being back in the familiar, the last few years have seen my passion for the sport reignite itself and I can be found on just about any river within 3 hours of Toronto on any given weekend. Apart from chasing steelies and browns with fly gear, I love fishing muskie whenever I can get my oldman to take me out on his boat usually in the Kawarthas and I try to get to Algonquin Park for some backcountry fishing as often as possible.

Which leads to my first trip report...

I have made multiple trips to the backcountry of Algonquin and before I started slogging the canoe on the trials, I fished lakes near the border for brookies and lakers since I was very small. It was actually these experiences which got me "hooked" to begin with and some of my best memories are from spending time outdoors in this area. Like most, my fishing efforts in the park are usually concentrated in the spring time when the ice first disappears from the lake but having wanted my girlfriend to experience the beautiful landscapes inside the park for a while , our trip together would need to be in the warm/bug free weather of late August.

7931924532_43ae6eaa44_z.jpg

20120826-DSC_0029 by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

We picked up our Permit in Kearney and our canoe was waiting for us at our chosen access. Lianna having grown up a city girl has never been camping in Canada, let alone, any portaging or backcountry stuff. But, having been on trekking trips in India and Peru with her in the past, I knew she would be up for it as long as her endurance level was not pushed beyond her limits so I chose a fairly simple route with only a few portages.

Our paddle down the access lake was wonderful with sun out in full force and we reached our first portage ahead of schedule as it was only late morning at this point. At first glance this portage looks like a beast but once over the horrendous hill things got better. We managed to carry all our gear/food in the first carry and I would make a final trip to grab the canoe and this was the way things went until we reached our lake of choice.

7932113172_320a12eb5b_z.jpg

20120826-DSC_0084 by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

Our campsite was chosen based on the fact that we were expecting thunderstorms the next day so we found one with some shelter and of course tarped off the majority of the site. Once things were set and a dinner of campfire steaks and potatoes were enjoyed I set about to do some fishing.

7932323824_20d48df433_z.jpg

20120827-DSC_0340 by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

It wasn't even 30 seconds my line was over the edge that a fish slammed the small perch coloured shad rap off the back of the canoe almost yanking my rod over board. A couple jumps later and a nice smallmouth about two pounds was in the canoe.

7932001802_57b1200f1e_z.jpg20120826-DSC_0214 by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

This pattern would be repeated the next few days over and over and over again. Despite a cold front coming in and some serious rain showers the next morning things didn't seem to really slow the fishing down and we caught and released oodles of small bass. Even though the lake was a descent a size no fish over the 2 lbs mark were to be found. Im guessing a very slow growth rate on this particular lake or possibly a low level of crayfish so the bass can't get too large??? Im not sure.

7932277156_674083b57a_z.jpg

20120828-DSC_0475 by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

Either way, it was a great few days camping in one of Ontarios beautiful parks and aside from a little rain the weather was perfect. However.....

......I do prefer fishing for these guys.......

5787559160_4f2d4cfe08_z.jpg

Fraser and a Large Brook Trout by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

Great show kid.

More trips and pics with Lianna please. lol.

I was gonna ask "why Wabusk?" But you made that clear enough when you said you were employed in James Bay. I think you might have missed the chance at some great fishing up there on the Moose. Just guessing.

Stick around dood, the photos are great, your writing clean and the intent just perfect for this place.

Shasta - Upper or Lower Grand?...anytime

Woodenboater - You've got the location pinned. Beautiful little lake

Moosebunk - Yeah I was in Fort Albany for a couple years and worked with one of your fishing buddies occasionally, Steve B. He would tell some tall tales about your fishing adventures but every time I see a trip report on here I can see that there are no exaggerations. It was a shame I never really got a chance to go up river but hopefully I can one day make it back up north and fish on the Albany or even the Attawapiskat.

Thanks all for the kind comments!

Moosebunk - Yeah I was in Fort Albany for a couple years and worked with one of your fishing buddies occasionally, Steve B. He would tell some tall tales about your fishing adventures but every time I see a trip report on here I can see that there are no exaggerations. It was a shame I never really got a chance to go up river but hopefully I can one day make it back up north and fish on the Albany or even the Attawapiskat.

Albany... Uhhhh! Good for you for sticking that out so long then.

Stevie B... I call him StevieZ in the reports... or the "Agent Stevie Zebco." First time I fished with him he showed up with a telephone pole Rhino Rod and push button Zebco reel. Spooled up with 20lb mono and a 2 foot steel leader he was ready to jig up dink walleyes. lol. He's come a long way... and man I love that guy. Great friend. Like me, he never lies or even exaggerates... lol. They're all BIG fish!