Honeymoon fishing

Rod Caster

Well, it's over. Not only my life as a "single" man, but the various wedding activities have officially concluded. To keep it simple, everything went extremely well. No America's Funniest Video moments, no bridezilla and a relatively low amount of stress for those in the wedding party.

My dad made me a painting which he gave at the wedding ceremony.... cue the man-tears of gratitude.

DSCN3066.jpg

The honeymoon had two parts.

1- Sir Sam's Inn Haliburton.-----what a place. The food was something to behold, as was the scenery and the general ambience of the Inn. Pampering ourselves like this is not something Sarah and I will do often, so it was a real treat to get fancy food, water spas, massages, tennis etc etc. Not only is there a fantastic selection of lakes and fishing in the Haliburton County, but the County roads are a real pleasure to drive, especially with a car with decent acceleration, grip and good tires (not so good anymore). I had a blast carving the roads! Here are a few pics

DSCN2900.jpg

DSCN2960.jpg

Even got into a few nice bass, even with my very limited fishing. A couple people at the Inn told me that Eagle Lake had bad fishing. 4 bass near or over 4lbs, right off the shore (one in the boat looking for lakers), in a total of 1 hour of fishing says otherwise.

DSCN2942.jpg

DSCN2969.jpg

2-Cutting a trail to a remote lake------ I won't be seeing anyone on/near this trail anytime soon. On the last day of the honeymoon after coming back to North Bay, Wifey and I blasted our way through the bush looking for a suitable camping spot, something we can use in the future as well. We pinpointed a very quiet and VERY dense area of the bush that was perfect for a secret camping spot. We cleared, raked and shovelled a tent pad, set up and then launched the canoe into this small walleye lake. I've fishing this lake twice before, the results being some very nice "blue walleye". After our trip on Friday, it is now my favorite lake!! To say it exceeded my expectations is an understatement. Everything about this lake speaks to me.... I will be be back.

DSCN3013.jpg

DSCN3022.jpg

As we slowly drift over "the spot", I say to Sarah: "my jig is hitting boulders". She replies saying she's snagged. "Honey, that snag is swimming away with your jig".

DSCN3032.jpg

This was the first and biggest fish of the evening. Caught in 12 fow, lots of boulders on bottom in a saddle that spans with width of the lake and drops off to 20 fow on both sides.

As the evening progressed, the action was steady with a few big fish mixed in. I was catching walleye on husky jerks, large grubs, spoons...and if I had my topwater popper (Dana!!!!) I'm sure I could have hooked into a topwater walleye. I could see them rising all around me, very slowly, but clearly very hungry.

DSCN3033.jpg

DSCN3034.jpg

DSCN3035.jpg

DSCN3036.jpg

DSCN3037.jpg

DSCN3038.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

All the fish were very dark, with bright yellow bellies and blue slime. This lake is a gem in the rough-bush.

DSCN3042.jpg

We left the lake early yesterday morning and made our way back to reality, were we had to attend our fairly large reception. We got a ride in a 1937 Packard from a family friend!! Awesome car.... for some reason he would not let me drive laugh.gif

DSCN3060.jpg

Anyway, that's that. I'm probably taking a couple days off this week, so I should have some more fishing tales to share before I'm back to the grind of work.

Cheers

Chad

Congrats again on the wedding! And those are some great pics, and great fish.

PS: not my fault you couldn't remove your lure from that pike... Let me know when you wanna meet up again and you can get it back. I keep it in my cupboard next to my coffee, so I am reminded several times a day.

Congrats again on the wedding! And those are some great pics, and great fish.

PS: not my fault you couldn't remove your lure from that pike... Let me know when you wanna meet up again and you can get it back. I keep it in my cupboard next to my coffee, so I am reminded several times a day.

Thanks!

What's your schedule like this week? My canoe is already loaded and ready to go...maybe meet near Temagami? Send me a PM.

Wait a second - you managed to find a beautiful wife who goes back-country camping, canoeing, and fishing with you?!

I hate you.

I really, really, hate you.

Mods, can we have this guy banned before we all turn green with envy?

rofl2.gif

She is the best catch of them all. (the wedding and reception were loaded with fishing jokes like that haha)

Thanks for all the replies!

Congrats all around

Beautiful Bride

Great painting from your Dad

And a great time to boot with all the scenery ya need

All The Best for a long happy Marriage :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I was hoping you'd comment on the painting. thumbsup_anim.gif Thanks

I fully plan on infiltrating your sacred walleye grounds :Gonefishing:

Beauty pics. A perfect cap to a busy summer

Yup, I'm happy to have things back to normality, even with a relatively small wedding it took a lot out of us. Your more than welcome at my fishing grounds Joey, you usually practice catch and release anywaygood.gif

Awesome! Congrats on the wedding and great honeymoon too!

Thanks!

Congrats chad...best wedding report i have ever read! ( first and only one with fishing involved)

Haha, thanks!