Police investigating after nets cut at fish farm

kickingfrog

Ok... I'm trying to understand this and I am NOT trying to stir anything up... given my limited knowledge of these things related to spotted carp... (ok, that was a stir!)

Given that Rainbows, to my understanding and I may well be wrong... are not native to the Great Lakes, how can farmed fish "dilute" the wild species by escaping from farmed pens?

Today's a learning day for HH!

HH

Ok... I'm trying to understand this and I am NOT trying to stir anything up... given my limited knowledge of these things related to spotted carp... (ok, that was a stir!)

Given that Rainbows, to my understanding and I may well be wrong... are not native to the Great Lakes, how can farmed fish "dilute" the wild species by escaping from farmed pens?

Today's a learning day for HH!

HH

In my experience, whenever one of these pens opens up and there is an escape the rivers in the area get a push of goofy little cookie cutters that aren't exactly intelligent. They lack "fight" as well. My guess (and that's all it is) is that they are genetically different and undesirable as sport fish. I've heard a whack of opinions on whether they can actually reproduce or not - everyone on the river is an expert.

They are to some extent genetically modified.

Having them mingle and potentially breed with now mostly self sustaining wild populations of steelhead strains in G' Bay is truly a bad thing!

Was it a illegal operation?,or were they meant to mingle at a certain time or age?

Was it a illegal operation?,or were they meant to mingle at a certain time or age?

Pen raised fish are meant for market only! Never intended/meant to escape and mingle with what are now self sustaining populations of wild stocks in G' Bay or any other waters.

Thanks for the info guys... so if I get what your saying... we don't want thriving wild fish to mate with Kardashian fish... lowers the genetic pool so to speak?

HH

LOL, that depends on how you look at it. Who wouldn't want a fish with good eating amounts on meat on it... not that there's anything wrong with that... :whistling: Big fish need loving too even if they ain't so bright... :blink:

When Croakers where present in the Notty I never noticed the steelhead quality getting diluted. The Croakers were very tastey but as noted looked funny and did not put up a good fight. The whole thing makes me laugh when I hear anglers claim that G Bay is not stocked. It's stocked plenty, maybe not by the MNR but by the native fish farms which always have escapees, this time a major jailbreak. The reason the Croakers were so tastey is that they had been GMO'ed with Brookie genes. Don't know if these recent escaped fish follow that same breeding (or abomination?) but if you catch a funny looking rainbow at the Notty this year keep it and give it a taste and you may be pleasantly surprised. As I said before the trolling on G Bay, especially by Manitoulin should be epic with $200K worth of dumb domesticated fish circulating.

When Croakers where present in the Notty I never noticed the steelhead quality getting diluted. The Croakers were very tastey but as noted looked funny and did not put up a good fight. The whole thing makes me laugh when I hear anglers claim that G Bay is not stocked. It's stocked plenty, maybe not by the MNR but by the native fish farms which always have escapees, this time a major jailbreak. The reason the Croakers were so tastey is that they had been GMO'ed with Brookie genes. Don't know if these recent escaped fish follow that same breeding (or abomination?) but if you catch a funny looking rainbow at the Notty this year keep it and give it a taste and you may be pleasantly surprised. As I said before the trolling on G Bay, especially by Manitoulin should be epic with $200K worth of dumb domesticated fish circulating.

Maybe we should rename it "Jersey Shore"?

HH

LOL, that depends on how you look at it. Who wouldn't want a fish with good eating amounts on meat on it... not that there's anything wrong with that... :whistling: Big fish need loving too even if they ain't so bright... :blink:

And I bet they feed them with all natural food ...with maybe just a little bit of extra bull granola in there to make sure that they can make it to market.

The nets were cut. I feel a lot better with natives farming commercial fish than I do with gill netting wild ones. Its a sustainable fishery, cutting the traps is a criminal act. There are some natural occurring releases from wind damage, etc. and the stock does get mixed up anyway...

I thought they had to use triploid fish that didn't sexually mature but I can't find any information on this site:

NOAA

They are triploid fish and are sterile. So they are no threats of them mixing with the other stocked rainbows.

These triploid fish get huge. The current Ontario record was a triploid caught near Little Current at 40 lbs or so.

The current Canadian and world record was a triploid caught in Saskatchewan at 48 lbs.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/biotechfishing/