Launching ?

ch312

If you can launch on your own faster than 2 people you are doing exceptional.

well, not those that know what they're doing. :D launching solo is about 3 minutes, depending on how far away i have to park. i was pondering the idea about unhooking the winch so the boat floats right off. then i just have to walk back and tie to the dock eliminating the winch procedure and time involved with that.

i'm borderline OCD when it comes to efficiency, but i can't get around launching without the winch hooked up.

Edited by ch312

I have a good system down. Do the same routine everytime I launch the boat. Doesnt matter where I launch. Might only be a 14 fotter by I like to take care of my gear.

My Routine is as follows.

Undo lights, Undo transom saver, undo gunnel strap, tie on bumpers (dependant on dock side), Tie on ropes(one on the stern, one just befroe the bow), Unhook safety chain and winch, Put the plug in. The I do a ounce around the make sure I have all my safety/fishing gear. Back up to the ramp and stop just as the stern is in the water. If I am alone, walk onto the dock use the ropes to slide off the boat and tie it up. If I am with someone else, the grab the ropes and I push from the bow.

I have never been to or seen a ramp that the boat may slide of the trailer early. If I had a roller trailer that would be a different story.

Keeping a routine makes the proccess efficent and ensures that somethings dont get forgotten. (like putting the plug in) :wallbash:

Retrieving is very much the same, line the boat up with the bunks. Walk the winch line out, hook on and pull it on. My feet never get wet, I have attached a 2"x10" plank from the tounge of the trailer right to the end. (one of the best things I have done to the boat)

I always leave the winch strap on until my trailor is in enough water that if the boat slide off the trailor it would float, it just gives me peace of mind. I know a guy who's boat slid off his bunk trailor while going down a steep ramp (where I often launch) and that was enough for me to take the extra precaution, especially since I often launch by myself. His boat is a LOT bigger than mine too haha.

My buddy did this to my ranger (we had the same boat 680t 2 model years difference). He did this on his boat all the time so did it on mine. Late November on the second day of the weekend fishing trip we changed lakes and as he backed up the hull let loose on the bunks and we almost dumped my ranger on the concrete launch.

I heard a loud crack, guess it was the ice on the bunks letting go and my boat went flying, luckily he felt it let go and gunned it in reverse shooting my boat into the water, it was a very close call. Boy did that wake me up LOL!

Needless to say mine is attached until she's in the water.

On my Lund I have a roller trailer and she rolled off one time at Big Shute. Never leave it unstrapped again!

On my Stratos it is a bunk trailer. Without water its not coming off unless you do some seriously crazy driving. Bunks have so much grip I added sliders. Only bought enough to do the first 1/2 of the trailer. I still find it hard to push off or wench in on some ramps. Going to add sliders to the rest of the trailer should make life easier for me.

I always unhook everything and tie the rope that is on the bow to the back of the trailer and then launch and the boat comes too shore when I pull the trailer out.... I sure get some looks from people until they realize the boat is tied to the trailer, lol

X2.. But I run a VW Golf, and 14' tinner. So I don't mind running the boat up onto shore. I wouldn't be doing that at a concrete launch with a fancy fishing boat.

I leave the winch strap attached until the stern is over water, then unhook it and tie the long bow line to the trailer. Back the rest of the way in, stop quickly and the boat slides off. Once the bow line tightens, slowly pull back up a bit and the boat comes back to the base of the ramp.

ch312, read my post above, to cut down launch time :)

with the old tinner that would have been fine, but definitely not with my current boat.

i'm glad i started this thread as it appears that boats do indeed slide off bunks sometimes and i now know that i'll never do it again. :canadian:

on sunday i went to burwell to get some pickerel and the guy that was working at the launch suggested i unhook the winch strap before backing into the water. i tried it out and it worked on a steep ramp. still didn't like the idea.

it's a g3 angler 165 on bunks. is it safe to unhook everything when launching or was my near nervous breakdown justified?

Oh man i read the title wrong.

I thought it said "lunching"

So hungry now....

I always unhook everything and tie the rope that is on the bow to the back of the trailer and then launch and the boat comes too shore when I pull the trailer out.... I sure get some looks from people until they realize the boat is tied to the trailer, lol

Just lke Lefroy said.

I've never had a boat larger or heavier than a 16' tinny with a 25 on it. but did just like that, a rope that's just long enough tied off to the upright on the trailer, unhooked winch and back her down, a light tap on the brake peddle, boat floats free but still secure. Exit vehicle, grab the tied off line while passing the hitch onto the dock, tie it off and park. Less then 5 minutes done and on my way. I could do it solo with ease and at times more efficient than if I had a dockhand. (Wife, son ya know what I mean)

Sometimes it's more difficult to launch when a "helpful" stranger lends a hand! But I never refused assistance.

Now that the boat is sold one thing I don't miss is the inconsiderate idiots who tie up the ramp uncovering, uhooking and loading gear right at the ramp entrance. It happened so many times last year. It's even worse if you're on the water waiting for your turn and incoming boats are coming in waiting to delaunch and try to jump ahead of you.

First thing I do is unhook the winch strap. Been launching boats for a long time, and many different types, sizes, styles, and never had one come off a BUNK trailer. Rollers is a different story.

I do like Lefroy. Unhook everything, tie my bow rope to the trailer, and drop it in. If someone is with me, I get them to back me in, while I'm in the boat.

Here is a test. Pull down the launch until your almost in the water. Put some slack in your winch strap, and just try to push your boat off the trailer......good luck!! Its not happening! You can't make it come off, I will bet my paycheck on it!!

S.

Here is a test. Pull down the launch until your almost in the water. Put some slack in your winch strap, and just try to push your boat off the trailer......good luck!! Its not happening! You can't make it come off, I will bet my paycheck on it!!

S.

Shayne, when and where can I pick up your pay check......as I do this EVERY TIME I launch my boat...remember, my hubs never get wet... ;) ...maybe next month Simon (Pikeslayer) can do one of his videos of me launching my boat....BTW how much do you make and I hope you only get paid once a month.... :whistling::D

Shayne, when and where can I pick up your pay check......as I do this EVERY TIME I launch my boat...remember, my hubs never get wet... ;) ...maybe next month Simon (Pikeslayer) can do one of his videos of me launching my boat....BTW how much do you make and I hope you only get paid once a month.... :whistling::D

I'll bring the camera for video evidence + take half from who ever wins :D

Boats have slid off trailers in the past... That's a fact... I don't care what the situations were when it happened... That's enough for me to always leave the strap on the boat until its in deep enough...

Why wouldn't you?

It takes 10 seconds to hop out and remove it...

I have rollers so it's not a choice... The strap has to stay on...

And that's the advice I give others...