NF - Keeping kids "unplugged" at the cottage

Default User

Hey folks

I was hoping some of you can help me come up with some ideason how to keep kids occupied at the cottage.

My entire family (my family, brothers’ families and ourparents) are going to spend a few nights at a friends’ cottage soon. Ideally, we want the little ones (girl 5, boy 7, & boy 9 years of age) to avoid the Nintendo DS playing, DVD watching, and internet surfinghabits of city life.

Obviously, a little fishing, boating and swimming is in theplans, along with a campfire to keep (me) happy. But how do we keep the kids occupied? How can we get the kids to look forward tothe next day?

I’ve picked up a few items such as glow wands and braceletsand what not, along with some sparklers (firework), and some campfire / BBQrods for cooking s’mores and whatnot.

But what else can keep these kids entertained? But yet –keeping them “unplugged”

Thanks in Advance

"I've picked up a few items such as glow wands and braceletsand what not, along with some sparklers (firework)"

Definitely organize a scavenger hunt for these items (after you have hid them in safe places).

Drawing on birch bark was always a favourite for my young girls too.

Put together a short play or comedy show???? Everybody must participate.

Also, red tails are fun to hunt and tasty if prepared properly.

Edited by pikeslayer

I've got a 4 year old and a 6 year old. Fortunately our cottage is on the beach so they can play in the sand, go swimming, fishing etc. However, we do enjoy sitting and watching a movie at night together. If they want to play a game on my phone or computer I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't play on it all day. The last thing I want is for them to be bored or unhappy there because they will not want to go back every weekend.

At that age you shouldn't need anything more than a lake and/or pool. Some things like canoes, paddle boats always help. Making them help around the cottage doing chores is a good idea too ;) We always try to make our daughter help out in some way with dishes or something. I honestly feel bad for you if you really have to plan things at a cottage for kids that age. They should be able to make their own fun with ease.

Good luck!

Get some notepads and pencil for each one, have them write down all of the animals and bugs they see and track how many of what they see. Take them on some hikes to get them started, point out frogs, butterfllies moths, ants, bees, birds etc... Mine really enjoy this. They always have a huge list at the end of every camp and cottage visit. Teaches them to be observeant and keeps the occupied.

Edited by jedimaster

Pick up a planisphere and if the skies are clear, introduce them to the constellations. You might need to bone up and get some background on what the story is behind them. This should keep them in awe for a night or two.

If you have internet access, try and find out when their might be an overhead pass of the International Space Station (ISS). It will appear as a small bright light making a straight trajectory across the sky. If they see it, they can say the've seen it and by extension, they've seen men in space ;)

Send them out after brekkie and tell them to have fun. If they have a couple of bikes and a wagon or two, they'll figure it out. My two aged 7 and 6 have fun at the trailer and spend next to no time inside. If it rains, make sure there are a few crafts to do.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

I like the scavenger hunt idea.

My take on this little trip is to get them away from their everyday norm. Whether its the video games or TV (which I'm certain they will get to in the evening - but I'm just hoping to limit) and I don't mind the random play activity (which will be inevitable anyway). But our hope was to bring something new to the table - something they will remember as being fun at "the cottage".

My co-worker suggested shooting off some fireworks (roman candles or what not) at night over the water.

Not sure what the rules are about it, though.

Just trying to create "memories"

I agree with Randy... a bucket, the shoreline and all it has to offer... add in the swimming, tubing, baci (sp) croquet, they sleep like babies..

ALternatively, a bag of bungy cords, some honey and a tree... that'll keep 'em quiet! LOL

HH

I'm currently 16 years old, and have memories of going up to my cottage since I was about 3 or 4. I think the things I enjoyed most were catching crayfish and frogs with a bug net and a bucket, and playing in the water with rubber floaty toys. Now I usually 'occupy' myself with fishing, swimming, and water sports, but simple things like that kept me busy for days when I was younger. Hope this helps!

My boys are 11 and 14, and for sure, plugged in when they're home. Up north, I'm lucky that they like to fish and be in the water. After dinner, there's usually a fire outside in the pit, but if not, like this year, I don't mind them watching a dvd at night at all, puts them right to sleep.

That said, kudos for you guys who push the education aspect. Good ideas.

Show them where the water is, show them where the forest is and tell them to keep an eye on each other. They'll make their own fun, just like I'm sure you did at that age! Don't make the simple life harder than it needs to be

Yep! Make sure to forget the electronics at home.

Dont forget their rain coats. If it rains and they want to stay inside tell them you got two choices. Put on your rain coats and get outside and play or if you want to stay inside you can do house work. That always worked for me. Board games are good for long periods of foul weather. We used to play backgammon for hours during the evenings with bad weather.

Get a well known children's book for their age group and get them to write a page long alternate ending. Gives you about a half hour to collect your thoughts in a somewhat quiet setting. Then get each of them to read their ending out loud. Should be good for a few laughs. Or you could read them all out loud and the kids could guess who wrote it when you're done. Good for a rainy evening if you are all stuck inside.

Trying to separate kids from their electronics these days is like trying to pull a new calf off its mother's teat. So make it work for you.

Use GPS and send them on one of those cache finding exercises or get them to set up one for each other. Set up some kind of prize they get if they can find it.

Use the storage capabilities of the smart phones etc. to get an animal/bird identifier app (or an electronic version of a book) and head out to find and catalogue. Load up a couple of simple recipes for the campfire and have them try them out - bannock for example.

Quite a few resources on building simple Visual Basic programs are available and a compiler for these can be found free or inexpensively on the internet. (search MS Control Creation edition)It is a lot easier than it sounds,doesn't need a lot of PC power and good for kids to create things.

Don't use much of the electronics myself, so maybe some of the digitaled in people here can come up with a few more ideas.

Edited by blue pickeral

cheap tent and little sleeping bags to make camp is great idea. dollar store bug huts to store captured stuff. 'mini' versions of grown up toys keep them busy (wheelbarrow, gardening tools). i have alot of rope and climbing gear - they use short lengths of soft manila rope and come up with countless rescue and rapelling situations. they once played 'indiana jones' on the stairs of my house for almost 3 hours because i tied some rope to a doorknob at the top.

my kids each have a little canvas shoulder bag with 'adventure gear'. my boy watched me play 'uncharted' on PS3 and loved drakes bag with basic outdoors kit. so they each have cheap binoculars, compass, flashlight, journal with marker, treasure box, small length of rope, etc, in the little bag. sure i find the stuff all over the yard an hour later BUT IT WAS AN HOUR!

another idea,start a game of hide and seek and dont bother looking for them. usually buys about 10 minutes.

avoid anything complicated cuz you just end up doing it yourself.

have fun!