Cool New Tent

solopaddler

So I've been prepping for a trip coming up soon and figured I should learn how to set up my new tent.

It's kind of a bizarre pole design, never seen anything like it before, but it has almost vertical walls and just tons of space for a 4 man tent that weighs 10lb's.

Pretty neat design eh?

StuffForSale021.jpg

StuffForSale019.jpg

StuffForSale022.jpg

StuffForSale023.jpg

StuffForSale024.jpg

At first it was pretty confusing to put up with the pole set up, but it's actually pretty intuitive. Glad I tried it first in the backyard though. :)

Only question will be durability, but I have to say I love the design.

Very interesting design there Mike. Had to google it as I'm not familiar with Alps tents (have too many Sierra Designs tents ha ha).

Interior volume is a big feature as it doesn't make for cramped living if the weather is down the toilet. Look forward to a report after your first trip using it. btw, where did you find it ?

Very interesting design there Mike. Had to google it as I'm not familiar with Alps tents (have too many Sierra Designs tents ha ha).

Interior volume is a big feature as it doesn't make for cramped living if the weather is down the toilet. Look forward to a report after your first trip using it. btw, where did you find it ?

We'll be spending 12 days in it soon paddling the Sutton. The giant weather machine that's known as Hudsons Bay will test it I'm sure.

Did a lot of research before I bought it, with the main criteria being weight and interior space. Amazon.com had by far the best price.

looks great, especially if you guys get some nasty weather

does it need to be pegged to stand?

I guess the hammock wouldn't do you much good on this trip, the trees get pretty small around the bay

It's freestanding, but I doubt there'll be any issues pegging it Chris. Most of the river is lines on both sides by fairly substantial spruce trees and there's lots of primo campsites.

It's only right at Hudsons Bay that you leave the treline behind.

I know where you're going and it's a four man... MAN!!! Stow me away in a food barrell or something. Your experience is going to be soooo far beyond the epicness of the report which will follow. Safe travels and lead the way on this one for me because you know full well it's in the sites too!!! I'd say good luck, but you ain't gonna need it... except from maybe Polar Bears or if Bill roll over on ya in the tent. lol.

... except from maybe Polar Bears or if Bill roll over on ya in the tent. lol.

This is funny 'cause it's true. It's the sole reason I ditched the two man tent for a larger one LOL!

I'm more worried about the paddling. Billy's center of gravity is about 2' above the gunnels. He's like a water buffalo in the canoe.

Needless to says everything will be in dry bags. :D

Mike.

Are you sure you’re going on a canoeing trip?

I ask because this tent

382.jpg

to me looks a lot like another shelter that was used a few years ago?

381.jpg

Have a great trip and stay safe; yup a lot like the Lunar Lander without the base. LOL

Dan.

He's like a water buffalo in the canoe.

Needless to says everything will be in dry bags. :D

:lol:

I have had a couple of people like that in the canoe over the years, now I know how to describe them ...

Tight lines and looking forward to your report as usual.

Thanks lads. I still have a bit of time yet to prep, we're leaving on the 20th.

Looks quite nice, and I can guarantee you'll never see another one. Ever notice that you can take a walk around an entire provincial park camp site and never see two of the same tent? I think they only make one of each then destroy the pattern. :P

HAHA! True

Mike.

Are you sure you’re going on a canoeing trip?

I ask because this tent

382.jpg

to me looks a lot like another shelter that was used a few years ago?

381.jpg

Have a great trip and stay safe; yup a lot like the Lunar Lander without the base. LOL

Dan.

Yep, high tech all the way. :)

Mike - I wanted to check it out on Amazon but I can't seem to find it by searching Alps 4 person. Get alot of hits, but none of the pics look right. What's the model? The Sutton ..... just awesome. Dream trip.

It's the Alps Mountaineering Aztec 4