Putting Up a Pole

Raf

I need to put up a pole (for a clothesline). I have a wood pole that looks like it will be perfect for the job, I'd guesstimate it at 15' tall.

My understanding is I need to dig a hole 3-4' deep. Renting a post hole digger would help this but I suppose it can be done manually. :whistling:

I plan to dig a trench leading to the hole where the pole will rest then pull the pole up using my truck and some helpers to guide it. Idea is the pole will wedge against the wall of the hole and 'stand up' then fill it back up.

Stop me before I kill myself or damage something

I'm in the Erin/Orangeville/Fergus triangle if you'd like to stop by & watch the show. (or offer to help!)

edit: it's a 21.5' long pole, 10" diameter

Edited by Raf

how big is the pole that requires a truck to lift it? can't you just lift the end, other end falls in the hole, stand it up, brace it with 2x4 and a stake...

you got this idea from the eqyptians or something, but those were 40ton blocks..

smally that might work given enough hands.. it's a fairly heavy pole but you're right, i may be overthinking this. :D

crude diagram not to scale, when pole hits opposite wall it pivots, falls into hole and stands

plan.jpg

Do it properly with concrete once and never worry about it again.

There's also no reason you need a trench or anything in that pic, lol!! Dig the hole, put the post in it and fill with concrete. Some stakes and some 2x4's will keep it straight until the concrete hardens.

Edited by BillM

smally that might work given enough hands.. it's a fairly heavy pole but you're right, i may be overthinking this. biggrin.gif

crude diagram not to scale, when pole hits opposite wall it pivots, falls into hole and stands

plan.jpg

Think I'm missing something?

Where is the roadrunner?

beep beep sarcasm.gif

Acme at it's best.

I'm no expert Raf but my thoughts are, dig/auger hole large enough to accommodate a Sono tube about 3" to 4"s larger than the base of the pole. Plant it at least 4' deep (or more if you can) with a little concrete at the base of the hole, insert Sono tube, center and back fill then get some muscle to insert the pole, center pole and fill with with fast set concrete and Bobs your Uncle. dunno.gif

First thing to do is to call for locates. Digging into a cable can be very expensive, and possibly fatal. http://www.on1call.com/

Secondly, I would suggest that you use a 3" diameter pipe, into a 8" diameter hole at least 4' deep. And as Misfish says mushroom / \ the bottom of the hole to prevent lifting. If you decide to use the wood pole, it would be best if you can have a minimum of 4" of concrete around the pole. To lift, tuck the end of the pole in the hole, lift at one end with a couple of guys and let 'er drop in. Plumb, brace, and pour concrete.

Good luck.

Yes, in the Erin area you need 40" plus to ensure it doesn't heave with the seasons. I'd also set the pole at a very slight angle away from the pull of the clothesline......there's no telling what a boat tarp, a tent and 2 sleeping bags will do. :)

edit: If it's wood you're using, you might want to treat/seal it to prevent rot.

Dang and to think I just took a 6' 2X4 and nailed it to the deck and then put a anchor bolt into the corner of my shed to run my 50' clothesline. I just took it down last week as per the real state guy he said it did not look so good. But like red green would have said it was handy

smally that might work given enough hands.. it's a fairly heavy pole but you're right, i may be overthinking this. :D

plan.jpg

The mystery of how Stonehenge was erected has been solved.

thanks for advice

who says fishermen exagerate lengths? i measured and the pole is 21.5' tall and 10" diameter at the base. so a weee bit bigger than I originally estimated. it needs to be tall because where it will go in is below grade from where the clothesline originates (at the house).

When dad did my basketball net post..... He dug a hole... Put a cardboard tube in the hole... Surrounded the tube with stone dust... Put the post in the cardboard tube... Then filled the cardboard tube with cement... Lasted many years of monkeys hangin from the rim... The post ended up rusting out...

LOL.. glad I could provide some comedy for you all. This brilliant plan was devised on a napkin at lunch.

sorry - but I gotta ask- was there a couple olives on the napkin before you used it for sketching?

and you were gonna dig the hole and the trench by hand in 40 degree weather?

after this I know we all want to see the end result, please?

just pullin' your leg..

I think everyone here is missing the point..He is trying to put a hydro pole in the ground to use as a clothes line. Im not to sure how to do it myself but simply lifting it into a sono tube isint going to happen..RAF try looking it up on you tube..Thats my go to when I need help with somthing..

He is trying to put a hydro pole in the ground to use as a clothes line.

that's mostly correct.. it could propably be used as a utility pole. we have an elevated deck, the clothesline needs to run from the house out to the pole, a good ways up above the ground and it has to run parallel with the deck so we can put clothes on it without falling over the railing.

here's what I am up against

pole2.jpg

pole3.jpg

pole1.jpg

Edited by Raf

The angle you'd have running the line to that pole would mean you'd have to lean over the railing quite a ways in order to put clothes on -- maybe even out of reach.