Bad day

Well I got a call from my brother today telling me I had to go check on my grandpa because he thought he had fallen....

I got there at the same time as my mom and we headed in the house to find my gramdpa lying in a doorway with multiple cuts and covered in blood...

This is the first time I've seen him as a week old man... It's a very difficult thing to see...

My grandpa is a local fishing legend that is respected by all who know him.... He was a lifetime guide who worked with the MNR on musky studies and was in multiple magazines...

He is an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed all aspects of fishing and hunting....

It's sad to see him in a condition that prevents him from doing what he loves... And I now see how hard it is for him not being able to do what he loves...

He even said he was ready and wanted to die while lying on the floor... This was one of the hardest things Ive been a part of...

The family is gunna try to pull together to help him do the things he wants to do but not be alone...

I've think ive convinced him to let me take him shopping on Fridays in the states... He loves going over to shop so he can brag about the deal he got on cottage cheese...lol... But if something happens when he's alone over there he would be in a real bad situation... He goes once a week on his own... So hopefully he will take me up on my offer...

We got him cleaned up and bandaged because He wouldn't go to the hospital... But I think we did ok... And he was in a better mood by the time we left... Back to telling fishing stories and he was proud of the big musky and walleye we caught last weekend...

Anyways... I just needed put things into words...

Thanks for listening

Mike

Dang Mike that's crazy I hope He will go get his cottage cheese with you. Keep him busy and always listen to his stories the old guys need to share them

I love the stories of musky pushing 60 inches and days with multiple 10lb walleye.... He just has a hard time remembers the names of spots and how to fish em... So my knowledge helps smooth out his stories...

Sorry to hear that, good luck on cottage cheese too! You may want to get him checked up anyways just incase he has a concussion.

He wont go out of fear of losing his drivers license... He just redid his licence 2 months ago...

He's of the mindset he'd rather die at home early then waste away in a nursing home or hospital...

I often remind my kids how lucky they are to have grown up with their grandparents in their lives . Perspectives from generations past for sure. Enjoy the time you have with him Mike and be sure to tell him we say "hello".

Mike, this a right of passage, and there are several that you cannot ever be prepared for, but you will learn to handle.

I remember the first time I saw my father using a walker, but it was I who was most staggered at the time. My omnipotent Dad was mortal. It was devastating to me.

During that time, both my parents were were very ill, for a couple of years. I don't see it as a good experience, but in my eyes, it made my older brother into the man he had hoped to be. Both of us weighed in and cared for them, their affairs. It's a difficult task that will better you in a number of ways, by day's end.

Edited by backbay

Mike, almost a year has past since I lost my grandpa and it was TOUGH to watch such a strong man wither away. He was truly my hero. Lost my Hereo.

Like your Grandpa is, mine was also an avid outdoorsman. He joined is hunting party for the last time when he was 95. He didn't hunt but tended to the camp and kept the men fed. I believe he shot his last moose at age 86 or 87.

No muskie up that far North though.

He wont go out of fear of losing his drivers license... He just redid his licence 2 months ago...

He's of the mindset he'd rather die at home early then waste away in a nursing home or hospital...

Ya, my grandfather is like that too, earlier this year he had heart surgery and the next day he went out to shovel a couple feet of snow off the driveway. They're great people; and slightly insane. Try to spend as much time with him as possible, you're a good person. :canadian:

From my experience most older people don't fear death, they just accept that it is a reality of life.

What they do fear is not being independent anymore. Do try to get him out with you but make sure he understands that you aren't doing it for him, you are doing it for you! It will give him the will to go on much longer if he feels needed.

Glad to see that it all seems to be working out and that you did find him and were able to help him.

Sounds exactly like my grandpa MM. He was a father too me as well, so it was hard those last few years. I took time off work to stay with him and help him out, and it was pretty crappy, but awesome at the same time. At night we had supper, and after that it was story time over a couple beer before bed. I enjoyed him as much as I possibly could.

Sounds like an awesome man, glad you guys are there to help him, physically and mentally. I hope things work out smoothly for all of ya.

P.S. With my Grandpa, it was the deals on milk, lol.

Sorry that you had to go through that Mike.

My Grandpa is in a similar situation right now. Waiting for a big operation, but it's taking forever to get the final tests done before they can finalize the plan of attack for the operation (Aortic Aneurysm).

If I can only give you one peace of advice, is would be to spend as much time as you can with him, and like others said, just listen and chat. Even if it’s a weekly phone call, or quick visit. It can only help right.

We learn so much from our parents and grandparents through their entire lives just by watching how they deal with the trials, tribulations, and small triumphs in their lives. They continue to help us grow as a person even after their passing.

Good on you Mike for helping your grandfather. You are not only helping him but yourself as well. And your kids - they are watching and learning through all of this. My own son never knew his grandfather to be anything other than incapacitated and unable to speak due to a stroke. Because of my dad's condition my son never had a chance to have a real relationship with his grandfather but that didn't mean that my dad wasn't in some way contributing to my son's development.

When my son was about 12 he suddenly said to me "Your dad must feel extremely proud to have a son that helps him like you do." I was and am extremely proud of my own son for thinking that and I recognized perhaps for the first time how each and every member of one's family makes us all better in some way.

Watching cherished family members get old and sick is not easy but a lot of good comes from your helping your grandfather through this. thumbsup_anim.gif

Sorry to hear about that Mike, I know how hard it is seeing someone you thought was so strong suddenly look weak. Seeing my dad in the hospital before he passed away last year from a stroke was the hardest thing I've ever experienced. This year my mom was intubated for over a week too, thankfully I was back home at the time she got sick since she couldn't/wouldn't have gone to the hospital on her own.

It must be very hard to be unable to do the things you've loved doing for years and most elderly people don't want to feel like a bother to other people, so make him know that you just want to spend time with him and not "take care of him". Ask him if you can go shopping with him so you can get some good deals too, instead of "I'll take you shopping Grandpa". And enjoy the stories, even the ones you've heard a hundred times because some day you'll be doing the same thing to your son and grandkids lol.