Small fishing 'Boat' ideas needed?

hotsky

Almost every time I fish in a lake I find myself wishing I had a boat sad.gif and now I'm seriously considering getting something. The problem is I live in an apartment and it will be a at least a year or two before I'll own a house; so storage is an issue. Also, I don't have a truck (drive a Mazda 3) which makes towing anything big unrealistic. So when I say I'm need 'boat' ideas I'm pretty much looking at anything, including kayaks, or inflatable boats. Neither are ideal because I could imagine it would be hard to handle anything bigger from a kayak, and inflatable boat would need to have some kind of a seat and be sturdy enough not to pop if I hit a branch under water. (I have a small 2 person one that can hold 410lbs, I use at when I go to a beach for fun but I would never fish from it). Ideally I'd like to have a trolling motor so something like Pelican Predator 103 would be perfect, but i would have to figure out something for storage. Is there anything similar but even smaller and lighter?

Suggestions on any suitable small boats, kayaks or inflatables would be much appreciated.

Seems like there's a few of us with Mazda 3's LOL

I actually got an inflatable earlier this year. Since then, I've googled and YouTubed ideas on how to make it more fishing friendly.

Sevylar and Intex have quite a few good iBoats that are made of thick vinyl. Many people have outfitted them with hard floors, seats and trolling motors.

I got the SeaHawk 4. Took it out and I'll say this much. Forget rowing - definitely need to get a trolling motor (30lb or more) Forget about Big lakes. And make sure the weather is in your favor (windy days suck)

They're great for calmer waters

Here's a pic of my Mazda and the SeaHawk to give you an idea of the size of it. 

63f3d94c-7e51-1337.jpg

Transporting it is a breeze if you have a roof rack LOL.  Saves the trunk space for the cooler, gear (and the future trolling motor)

Manual Pumping can get tiresome especially on a hot day - or when your eager to get out there.  I just grabbed a Coleman electric inflater which gets it 95% full. Then fill it up with the hand pump.

A good quality inflatable won't puncture from a tree branch. In fact, you would have a hard time pushing a hook through the better-made ones.

I had a Zodiac years ago, back when I lived in an apartment. Folded up to fit in a bag that I kept in a hall closet. It was an awesome fishing boat. With a battery and a small electric, you could go almost anywhere, and it all fit in a small car no problem.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I think its great the way guys don't let storage space or smaller vehicles or what have you get in the way of your fishing.

Hardcore, diehard, resourceful whatever you want to call it.. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

drifter those small lake fishing machines look awesome.

Edited by smally21

I vote Sea Eagle Fold Cat http://www.seaeagle.com/FoldCat.aspx. Rolls up into your trunk plus I've seen one in person and they are very well made (unlike most inflatables). I've also seen something lately that bears investigation for kayaks. Personally I don't like canoes or kayaks for fishing because the seated position is not optimal for casting. They are great if you like to troll but casting is just not that great from a canoe or kayak. Now Scotty downriggers has come up with stabilizers that attach to a kayak so that you can stand up and cast or flip. If they are good quality that could be a real find and you should look at the option if you are considering a Yak.

I'm still looking into different options but Sevylor FishHunter 4 perosn boat looks like it could work. It's ~ $200 which is cheap compared to most other boats. Leaves some cash for a trolling motor set up. Something like Yacht Tenders from Sea Eagle would be perfect but around $1000+ is a little pricy. Maybe I'll have to sell some things and up my budget! Anyone use them?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Started with a float tube... and likely when I'm old and grey and they've taken my licenses away, I'll end in one too.

So many solid options but it's all based on your use and budget.

Pontoon boats if you're not hoofin' them in too far and have the car space are a better plan than a float tube really.

Good luck!

Craig_Ritchie, which Zodiac did you have? and who sells them?

If a $1000 is a bit high then a zodiac may not be your best bet. They aren't cheap. Specailly new, you can find them on kijiji for under a grand but for the most part they have been patched alot and I wouldn't really want to take a chance at that money.

As Moosebunk said the fishing float tubes are great, you can get them for a couple hundred even cheaper and if it is colder weather and water just get a nice pair of neoprene waders and ypur laughing.