Sobering Story for all Great Lakes Anglers

dave524

After a few dozen trips to the blue zone we might all get a little complacent, careless and take a few shortcuts. It's a bit of a read but shows how quickly things can go bad for even a very experienced offshore fisherman.

http://www.glangler.com/_blog/Great_Lakes_Angler/post/MULL's_BLOG_Stupid,_Adrift_and_Thanking_God_for_a_Coleman_Cooler/

guess you need to click on it in the recent posts, doesn't seem to want to link

Edited by dave524

Good read.

My old man always told me to be ready for the worst at all times. Stuff happens fast, and always when you least expect it. I try my best to be prepared for the worst at all times, and never take any chances.

Thanks for posting that. Its an eye opener for sure.

S.

A repeated theme in these boat swamping ~sinkings is how similar the situation is to so many others the individuals have experienced in the past with one more twist (this time the combination of three footers a tangle and 3 big guys in a small boat, alll fo which have doubtless happened before to the author separately from the sounds of his article), and how fast stuff happens once that point of now return is reached.

Just as an FYI, Dave Mull, the author, is the editor of GLA.

Personally I am paranoid whenever I am out on the big water, and always wear ( and insist my passengers wear) pfds if the waves are anything more than the slightest chop. I've pulled off the water more than once when the boat was till fine. At 3 - 5 miles out, its along way home if anything untoward happens.

I'm a big fan of happy endings. Outstanding read.

I've always had a fear of waves over the transom, unfounded fears thus far but a strong consideration in my recent boat purchase.

I had an 18' aluminium center console and know how busy it can get back there. I recall one day on LSC while I was at the back/side of the boat releasing a muskie; Deg holding the net and Uncle Buck leaning over snapping pic's. I had water up to my armpits and thought we're way to close to the water right now.

I snapped back, "Screw the pictures, get on the other side of the boat!".

Given the calm water it was an over reaction but had it been rough, I may not have had time to say it. Come to think of it, Deg and UB haven't fished with me since LOL!

This is my old boat... pic's taken before the floor and gas tank relocation was done.

IMG00084.jpg

And the new boat... a little less to be concerned about.

gltrout_34_slowpoke_jul_03_2012.jpg

Great read. That's why I don't mind being completely anal about wearing a flotation device. The only time I would ever take mine off is in a small back bay on a quiet lake when not underway. Other than that I would not ever consider being underway or adrift in big water without one. Why take the chance?

Glad everyone made it out ok and kudos to this guy for sharing the story. Might actually reach some people and potentially save lives.

Can definitely happen anytime

I grew up driving boats on Balsam lake-since I was 6 or so we had our own little skiff w a 4 HP-know the lake intimately

About 10 years ago we drove up for a days fish-lake was brutally rough-but after a 2 hour drive we said-hey-we will just fish the bay

Very similar to the attached story... Someone got snagged-turned the boat to chase it and in 60 seconds it went from my bro saying boys we need to bail to boys we are going down-grab your stuff

Boat flipped-a 16 foot lund deep hull, none of us were wearing life jackets

Luckily we were very close to shore and outside of losing some gear, a big loss of pride we were fine

Got home that afternoon and to hear that 3 boaters died that day - one on Simcoe and two on Lake O-all capsized in a storm

Very sobering-ever since I never go out w/o my life jacket on-spent the $200 for a mustand auto and I have a much healthier respect for the water

Glad to hear they are ok!

Somewhat of a similar situation happened to me and my dad. Out on Erie for some smallies in 2009 on opener weekend. Calm in the morning and then it became kind of choppy. We decided to call her a day. (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 mile off shore). Were in a 14ft deep v tinny with an older (89) 20hp Johnson. Dad goes to pull the motor and she wont fire. Take the cover off and see a 30 cent clip had broken that engages the flywheel. Motors not going to run. We did not have a trolling motor at the time, all we had were two paddles. No one else was around that we would see. We didnt think we were in too much danger. Dad says will float to shore, use someones phone and get ourselves back to the launch. Well within 15 minutes of drifiting it was rolling a good 3 foot swell. We used the paddles to keep to the bow pointed into the waves best we could and road it out. The pildge pump ran non stop and kept the boat afloat. Once we hit the beach, there was no stopping the waves from crashing over and swamping our boat. The motor was fillied with sand and ultimately was its dimise. No, we never capsized, but it was a real awakening. We had our lifejackets on the entire time. Thankfully where we landed, they gave us a ride, picked up our truck and trailer, he used his tractor to pull out boat onto the trailer. After a really big thankyou we were safely on shore.

I launch the same boat on Erie once a week in the summer, everytime i hit the water i think back to that day. Could have been alot worse. You can never be to causious when out on the water.

Stay safe everyone!

Luke

After a few dozen trips to the blue zone we might all get a little complacent, careless and take a few shortcuts. It's a bit of a read but shows how quickly things can go bad for even a very experienced offshore fisherman.

http://www.glangler.com/_blog/Great_Lakes_Angler/post/MULL's_BLOG_Stupid,_Adrift_and_Thanking_God_for_a_Coleman_Cooler/

guess you need to click on it in the recent posts, doesn't seem to want to link

cant find the post. Can you copy and paste the story here?

Dave,

Thanks for posting this. It definitely made me re-think/do my on board set up. PFD's will no longer be stored in a 'hold'. They will be attached to chests or boat seats. Also, I'm shopping for a 'bail out bag' tomorrow.

Also, I copied/posted this on spoonpullers. I was surprised to see no one else had already done so.

Thx again,

Symon