Slots on border waters....

You'd think that a modern boating gps unit with a chip would have a setting that would alert you to border proximity/impending prop busters etc..

But what I'm saying is you shouldn't have to buy a gps...

It's not fair that every angler in my area has to own a gps so they know where the border is...

It wouldn't be bad if the shipping Chanel was the border... Then there would be no confusion... But that's not the case... It's a jagged border line that makes many turns and cuts back and forth in the middle of nowhere...

I agree that it should be marked as well and easily visible. If someone still goes through it, then it's nothing but stupidity.

good.gif

And unless the angler is a repeat, or known poacher, a warning, and a quick education should be sufficient the first time.

not as cut and dryed as you may think it has always been my understanding that fishing in border water area's the regulations are in effect for the license you carry, ontario license ontario rules.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165335.html

start reading pretty sure i am correct but the OFC crack legal team of experts will figure it out i am sure

But what I'm saying is you shouldn't have to buy a gps...

It's not fair that every angler in my area has to own a gps so they know where the border is...

It wouldn't be bad if the shipping Chanel was the border... Then there would be no confusion... But that's not the case... It's a jagged border line that makes many turns and cuts back and forth in the middle of nowhere...

it's easy mike, when you see the pountine truck and beer in the corner store your in quebec

If the GPS argument was brought up the prosecutor types could simply say the border is clearly marked on the chart that you are legally required to have on board your boat at all times..

GPS is not an acceptable form of knowing where you are, or navigating, according to the establishment anyway only govt charts are acceptable..

BTW I don't agree with anything i just wrote GPS is THE way to navigate and know where you are but i do beleive it would be entered in the argument...

Just tossing this out as the GPS seemed to come up repeatedly...and yes i know that 'significant local knowledge' is written into the language as well but the 'defence' is basically "i didn't know where I was" so essentially you can't argue that you dont have charts cause you are familiar with the area but i dont know where i am in the same breath...

starting to ramble was up late...

difficult scenario should be streamlined of course the problem goes away if you just let the fish go...but they are tasty no matter what passport they carry or language they speak!

Last year if you were fishing the Niagara river you were suppose to phone the customs office when you crossed the border, even though you had no intention of landing on the opposite shore. I think it was the Canadian customs that were causing all the problems. Hopefully commonsense prevailed there and this is no longer is demanded. I would guess that these same stupid rules could apply here.

Edited by staffman

No they have not changed anything on the Niagara. The coast guard has been out this year sending people back if they had not called in to say they were crossing the border. I hope your friend has all 3 licenses for Ont,PQ, and NY or he could get charged for no license as well.

it's easy mike, when you see the pountine truck and beer in the corner store your in quebec

Poutine trucks are illegal now in Quebecwhistling.gif You have to go to a "Pataterie" to get the provincial delicacycanadian.gif

Just look for the rough water, that means your in Quebec.

Edited by mercman

When I fish the boarder waters on Lake Erie (and I do this almost every time out for walleye) the boarder is CLEARLY marked by a line on my Navionics Mapping...I know exactly when I'm in Canadian waters or NYS waters....If I remember tomorrow I'll switch it to Eastern NY and check if there are boarder lines in the questioned area.

I think we are all just a little spoiled with our relationship we share with the US. If we bordered Russia or North Korea I bet you would know exactly where the border is or you would learn mighty quick. I fish the detroit river all the time, I know ROUGHLY where the border is and stay clear of it to avoid any issues like this one.

If the GPS argument was brought up the prosecutor types could simply say the border is clearly marked on the chart that you are legally required to have on board your boat at all times..

Not according to this:

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board as long as you know:

the location and type of charted:

shipping routes;

lights, buoys and marks; and

boating hazards; and

the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

So if you're fishing border waters, one would think you should know the boundaries no?

Sometimes there's no way to know Bill as there are absolutely no markers of any kind where Mikes talking about. It's a huge body of water that touches 2 provinces and the US.

Sorta like trolling across Lake O with nothing on your GPS and putting your finger directly on the Canada/US border.

Sometimes there's no way to know Bill as there are absolutely no markers of any kind where Mikes talking about. It's a huge body of water that touches 2 provinces and the US.

Sorta like trolling across Lake O with nothing on your GPS and putting your finger directly on the Canada/US border.

I realize that, but the thought should still be in the back of your head. I agree there should be some kind of marker out there. Better safe then sorry (In this case to the tune of $355)

Fisherman "local knowledge" was covered in my post. you require charts unless you know the waters and the items you mentioned.

it was clearly stated that if one was to argue they had local knowledge, ie of the items you stated, then they would also have to state that they 'knew' where they were and the explanation 'sorry didn't know i was in another region' would be contradictory.

yer guilty of failing to have charts, OR knowingly fishing outside the licensed territory, but not both....

perhaps read the post again.

I would think if in doubt move to an area that you are sure of. Fish are all over they are not only in the sketchy areas he fished in. We have boundaries here between D.C. Maryland and Virginia. If you fish D.C. without their license your busted. If you put a bait net out in Maryland your busted. If you possess a Striper in the wrong zone you will get a ticket. It is something I live with every time I fish.I also took the time to learn and use a GPS to keep from getting a ticket. If you can't afford the tools needed to obey the laws then you don't have the resources to fish there it is that easy. I spend over $200.00 a year in licenses to be able to fish in the three zones it's not a gray area it is in black in white and easily verified with modern navigational equipment that is available to everyone.

Art

I just checked that area with my Lowrance GPS unit using both Navionics and Lowrance mapping software.....Navionics has detail just about EVERYTHING you need to navigate through that area....it shows all the channel markers and channels you need to stay in for safe voyage...BUT not the boundaries of NYS, Ontario or Quebec....However when I switch to my USA form of Lowrance mapping software it does show the boundaries BUT then loses all the water in Canada....so that's pretty useless.......maybe a Canada version of Lowrance mapping would so more water detail of the Cornwall, Ontario area.

Now on Lake Ontario my Navionics does NOT show the Ontario/NYS boundary but when I switch to Lowrance Mapping software it does show the boundary...however it's a very faint line, but it's there......

Now on Lake Erie near the Buffalo area, my Navionics CLEARLY shows the USA/Canada boundary line and every detail I need to fish that area.

GO FIGURE.....

Bob

Navionics has detail just about EVERYTHING you need to navigate through that area....it shows all the channel markers and channels you need to stay in for safe voyage...

When I said there were no markers Bob, I meant nothing to show the provincial or Canada/USA boundaries.

Everything else is well marked as you say.

not as cut and dryed as you may think it has always been my understanding that fishing in border water area's the regulations are in effect for the license you carry, ontario license ontario rules.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_165335.html

start reading pretty sure i am correct but the OFC crack legal team of experts will figure it out i am sure

Don't you require a license for the juristiction you are fishing? If you are on the St. Lawrence and want to fish the U.S. side, wouldn't you require a US fishing license?

yeah but bottom line is

did he know the border was somewhere in the area that he was going to fish...you are obligated to know

knowing he was fishing near the border did he buy all the licenses

and if you know there is some chance you could be in their waters how can you help but expect to respect the limits in all areas and that if stopped you would have to expect that you could be charged

You can use the sun and the moon and the stars, or fancy electronics to know just exactly where you are on the water, but bottom line here is that its up to you figure it all out. Like the old saying goes, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.