Slots on border waters....

You can use the sun and the moon and the stars, or fancy electronics to know just exactly where you are on the water, but bottom line here is that its up to you figure it all out. Like the old saying goes, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Yes....but sometimes there are ignorant laws too.

Don't you require a license for the juristiction you are fishing? If you are on the St. Lawrence and want to fish the U.S. side, wouldn't you require a US fishing license?

this would apply to provincial boundrys like the ottawa river

You fish an area where you know you can run into problems. You know where the lines are and I would think your friend does as well. If you were not sure where the lines were, I would think you would stay well clear of any boarder.

Do you not have to "check in" by going to shore first when fishing US waters? You are crossing the boarder after all.

Your friend should Pay the fines and realize not to do it again.

cheers.

Do you not have to "check in" by going to shore first when fishing US waters?

This situation was regarding a PROVINTIAL border not INTERNATIONAL...

And no you do not have to check in by going to shore when crossing to the usa side....You require special paper work... And check in by calling with your ID #...

And like I posted earlier... He IS paying the fine...

I'm trying to point out a really stupid set of rules that should be changed....

And when I said I hoped he would fight it it was only in hopes of shedding light on a confusing situation...

Edited by Musky Mike

Wow... I guess I'm gunna have to simplify a bit...

How is buddy in a conoe without electronics supposed to know he's 20 feet over an invisible line????

And that invisible line has different rules on the other side...

So he crosses the line by 20 feet not knowing and gets nailed for poaching walleye... And you dont think it would get overturned on court...?

At least 9/10 boaters in my area probably couldn't tell you where the border is exactly... It's rediculus for authorities to expect this...

while i agree that it's not exactly the way thing's should be done, in the end it's up to the fisherman to know the laws for the water he/she is fishing in order to avoid stuff like this. as previously mentioned, staying well away from the border is the easiest and most reliable option.

saying that your friend is innocent because he didn't know where the border was is the same as saying it's ok to keep out of season fish if you weren't aware of the season in the first place. ignorance often costs $$$ ;)

Edited by ch312

And no you do not have to check in by going to shore when crossing to the usa side....You require special paper work... And check in by calling with your ID #...

Not entirely accurate.

My guess the "special paper work" you are referring to is a Nexus card. Only valid if everyone on the boat has one. Also only good for entry into the US & not valid for entering Canada.

No reporting in to the US authorities is required as long as you don't anchor, go ashore or enter inland waters. In this case border rivers are not classed as inland waters.

Your first entry of the day into Canada from the US waters requires a call to Canadian Customs.

Not entirely accurate.

My guess the "special paper work" you are referring to is a Nexus card. Only valid if everyone on the boat has one. Also only good for entry into the US & not valid for entering Canada.

No reporting in to the US authorities is required as long as you don't anchor, go ashore or enter inland waters. In this case border rivers are not classed as inland waters.

Your first entry of the day into Canada from the US waters requires a call to Canadian Customs.

I was referring to the I-68

Not nexus

The I-68 works similar to the Nexus card. All aboard must have one.

Again not required to fish US waters as long as you don't anchor, go ashore or enter inland waters. For just fishing without anchoring no reporting in is required.

ok

your friend may have accidentally broke the law, but they can't just let people slide because they were in a canoe and no electronics

or the next day every low life will learn the "canoe and no electronics" loop hole and will be using it to circumvent the slot regs

just like the guys that posted that the MNR was morons for charging them for having a slot fish and they tried to justify it by saying it was dead and could not be released, so we kept it...they were surprised to see that almost everyone told them they were wrong and to just pay the fine..cause if they stopped charging people who said it couldn't be released....people would just let slot fish die so they could keep them..the law and boundaries may be confusing but we still have to follow the rules