A weekend together

Gerritt

As some of you know I have taken the responsibility of caring for my elderly grandparents...(Oma and Opa) and in doing so turned my life upside down.... moving from Hamilton to the sleepy little town of Brighton. Needless to say it was a change from the city... such as finding out pretty much NOTHING is open on Mondays.... (I find that very odd.... moving on....)

Shortly after arriving here my Opa was placed into hospital... (Dementia is the devil) and could no longer safely live at home due to the multiple assaults against my Oma.... It is then I learned about the multiple levels of bureaucracy required to place someone into a long term care home..... what a nightmare. I will spare you all the details but suffice it to say he is now getting the care and stimulation he needs.... and while he has no clue what I went through to get this done.... nor does he even remember what my name is anymore... when I see him I see the sparkle in his eyes and a smile on his face... that is enough for me, knowing he is well taken care of.

As for my Oma... well that is is a different story... she too has failing health.... my Opa lost his mind... She is losing her body.... everyday is a struggle... some days are worse then others, Sure I have help for an hour in the morning from a Personal Support Worker... but that is doesn't cover the other 23 hours of the day.... that is where I step in.

I am the cook, the cleaner, the pharmacist, the confidant, the banker, the errand boy, the gardener, the chauffeur and the muscle.... I am her beloved grandson... the one that could do no wrong as I was growing up..(Even though I did do wrong)....

I used to spend summers with my Oma and Opa and they helped raise me... now I felt as though karma needed to be repaid... so here I am... Taking care of our 88 year old Matriarch... as well as my 90 year Patriarch (at least I have 24 hour help him even though he is in a home there is ALOT to be done) Anyone that has to exercise Power of Attorney for property and care while they are still alive can attest to this.... (I have it for both of them.....)

So finding time for myself these past 3 months has been very difficult.... and with my family all over Canada and Europe.... finding help has been somewhat difficult.... as I do need time for myself from time to time too...

Well I finally found that time, I have been in close contact with my son... for the most part almost daily... to see how his day to day life has been... @ 6 years old it is hard to keep his attention for very long with todays modern distractions... I compete with TV Nintendo DS, Pokemon, Leap Pads and the computer.... not to mention homework.... so our conversations are usually brief... but they mean the world to me...

We miss each other dearly.

So my ex wife and I worked out a plan that worked for both of us, (Im supposed to have every other weekend but given my responsibilities and the distance it is a work in progress) I worked on setting up care for Oma...

Uncle Jac stepped up.

Ok with out of the way, I was extremely excited to spend some quality time together! so I had it planned out that we would go to my other uncles farm... (who just happens to have a 24 foot trailer.... Perfect! CAMPING!!!)

Liam was very excited about this idea, not to mention the fact Uncle Marc has a private pond that has never seen a lure... needless to say Liam wasn't bored for a second! one cast.... one fish! it was awesome to spend this time together and reconnect, and he cannot wait for two weeks to pass to do it again!

Anyways I have bored you all enough with my ramblings.... I think it is time for some pictures!

I hope you enjoy them.

Liam inspecting our fishing spot,

8185b5c3.jpg

a9bbd67a.jpg

7e8db077.jpg

7750c70d.jpg

9cac3195.jpg

03d2c485.jpg

Lets see how long it takes me to run around it dad....

3531ca04.jpg

0fd97bbe.jpg

The barn..... Liam loved it... circa 1897

af81627d.jpg

66b6269a.jpg

4cf1d7fd.jpg

8ae33f5e.jpg

e8f6879d.jpg

The House..... welcome to Deerfield Farms..

df3953ab.jpg

The Flora...

abe34312.jpg

2de45d81.jpg

Getting prepared.....

3323ae50.jpg

Got one.... and another! and another.... Dad this one is huge! (They were all huge to him lol)

ed2d6b8d.jpg

b3139562.jpg

057df2b5.jpg

fe71c8ab.jpg

ff6e30ed.jpg

dc1a7f3b.jpg

3ce00495.jpg

f796b95a.jpg

378a0892.jpg

a2cc76ec.jpg

b6a024e4.jpg

35dda7ba.jpg

9e5634d8.jpg

ded2998c.jpg

b901d752.jpg

86e5f62b.jpg

ff7399ae.jpg

and some fun other then fishing :)

602fff05.jpg

356a31aa.jpg

6d8c2b27.jpg

36b4f50c.jpg

ed979745.jpg

811c6618.jpg

643c3450.jpg

9c5a6515.jpg

638a3994.jpg

9f7f00cc.jpg

e3206a58.jpg

9afa3e17.jpg

Pokemon...... no clue how to play this....

8a85e345.jpg

edb011a5.jpg

9db3f45d.jpg

64b3c93e.jpg

So that was our weekend.... this is only a small amount of pictures... but to me they are priceless..... I wouldnt have traded this weekend with my son for 50 million.... it was time well spent reconnecting, especially for me after so many weeks of negativity... Just to be a dad again... meant the world to me... and hopefully we can do it again soon..

One last picture...

Goodnight Liam.

bbeeec3f.jpg

It was nice to just be a dad...... and nothing else for one weekend.

G.

Edited by Gerritt

Excellent report Gerritt. I knew you were taking care of your grandmother, but didn't realize to what extent. Sounds like you are doing a great job and love them both very much. Good on ya hon, I'm proud of you.

So glad your son got to come and spend some time with you. That looked like a wonderful father/son day and I'm sure he'll remember it for a long time to come. Hope he can keep coming to do that with you, and soon :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for this report!!

Joey

Good for you. The smile on both of your faces says it all. That is a heavy load you're carrying - I lost my Mum to cancer and my Dad to dementia in an 18 month period - he was going through the aggressive stage as she was detriorating. The POA's indeed bring a heavy burden of responsibility. But what you are doing is a good thing - all around. My best wishes. Oh - and uncle Jack is very cool - love the shot with the two of them in the tractor with the matching freezies

(edited for spelling)

Edited by spincast

Thanks for the reminder to all us Dads that every moment we spend with our kids is special. We may at times take seeing our children every day for granted and become to busy for them. Good for you for taking care of your family. In time your son will recognize this, follow in your footsteps and grow up to become a great asset to his family as well.

You've been through a lot in your life and you continue to handle adversity in a way that I greatly admire.

That was neither rambling or boring.

Thank you.

I could not possibly say it better than that.

It must be hard to be away from your son. Those pictures are very touching knowing that the time spent together was long overdue.

Keep at it. You're awesome.

As a dad of 2 boys I am sure that time spent apart is tough. Looks like you found the solution in "great" time together. Love all the father / son activities.

P.S. If Liam can't make it one weekend I'l come fish that pond with you. Sweet looking bass and sunnies.

Edited by Nipfisher

Well Gerritt, this was the report I was looking forward to and it did not disappoint. So glad you two had a great time, no doubt you both needed it... I hope you can repeat it over and over again... it is great to see you both happy together...

Thanks for this G!

HH

Thank you everyone for the kind words :)

I know I have been somewhat absent from the board due to my responsibilities... and it took awhile for me to adjust to life here taking care of my elders..... needless to say it has its ups and downs.... but alot more ups :) everyday my Oma remains in her house is a victory... she chooses to die here... who am I to deny that. The Leukemia that is ravaging her body has made things difficult... and at 88 there is little they can do....

But I needed time for myself as well... So I made sure I had it :) I put measures in place to help with her care (she wont let just anyone in) and off I went to spend time with my boy.

It is a weekend neither of us will forget :) and there will be many more to come :)

Thank you all again, I hope you enjoyed the report.

G.