Making ice blocks for cooler

scugpg

I'm going to start making my own ice blocks and refreezing them during outings. I was wondering what you guys like to use. Currently using frozen water bottles, but thinking using something bigger will last longer.

Anyone have any suggestions for a container that will hold up over multiple freezes? Like milk jugs etc?

Thanks!

Not quite what you are talking about but I often use plastic ice cream containers and put the ice in a zip top plastic bag.

Most Gatoraid comes in heavy plastic bottles that survive multiple freeze cycles.

Sorry about that - Looking to freeze containers and throw in cooler to keep the fish cold :)

I've used everything from refreezable bags through gallon, quart bottles and soda bottles but my favorites are Gator Aid bottles. I usually take Gator aid and the pack the cooler with Gatoraid bottles filled with water and then frozen. Usually I drink the GatorAid first the the water as it melts.

Works for me.

I refill 2 litre Pop bottles with water and freeze, then put a couple in my fish box cooler. You don't want ice melting over the fish because it makes for a slimy soup. Keep them (fish) dry, less mess. My Walleye, I bleed out in the live-well first, then in the cooler.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I refill 2 litre Pop bottles with water and freeze, then put a couple in my fish box cooler. You don't want ice melting over the fish because it makes for a slimy soup. Keep them (fish) dry, less mess. My Walleye, I bleed out in the live-well first, then in the cooler.

Great tip! I do the same. Fish taste better when bled/cleaned right away and then put on ice.

Hence my initiative. It makes a big difference in the taste of the fish and much easier to clean.

Whatever bottles you choose to use, try adding 150-200g/L (5 to 6 tablespoons per litre) salt to the water. This should freeze totally in a deep freezer and melt at a temp of -10 to -15C, it will keep your cooler much cooler!

Burt :)

Whatever bottles you choose to use, try adding 150-200g/L (5 to 6 tablespoons per litre) salt to the water. This should freeze totally in a deep freezer and melt at a temp of -10 to -15C, it will keep your cooler much cooler!

I'll have to give that a try. So you say salt slows down the melting of the ice?

I'll have to give that a try. So you say salt slows down the melting of the ice?

Depending on salt concentration, it lowers the freezing/melting point of water to a maximum of around -21-22C (this is with a "saturated" solution, in which no more salt can dissolve in water).

Salt doesn't slow the melting, it melts at a lower temperature. A frozen water bottle will maintain 0C until all the ice is melted. A frozen bottle of salt water will maintain a temp. of much less than 0C until it is melted.

I like to mix regular ice with "salt" ice in the cooler, so you have two cooling plateaus, sometimes the beer can have ice crystals in it.

Edited by Burtess

Depending on salt concentration, it lowers the freezing/melting point of water to a maximum of around -21-22C (this is with a "saturated" solution, in which no more salt can dissolve in water).

Salt doesn't slow the melting, it melts at a lower temperature. A frozen water bottle will maintain 0C until all the ice is melted. A frozen bottle of salt water will maintain a temp. of much less than 0C until it is melted.

I like to mix regular ice with "salt" ice in the cooler, so you have two cooling plateaus, sometimes the beer can have ice crystals in it.

Just make sure that saltwater bottle is marked cause no one wants to have a gulp of that on a hot day.

I must be the only person that uses those freezer packs with the blue gel like goop inside, couple big flat ones on the bottom of the cooler and a few smaller ones for on top of the fish. I found they last longer than ice , rinse them off and refreeze.

Just make sure that saltwater bottle is marked cause no one wants to have a gulp of that on a hot day.

Lol.... yes they are... all the "ice" bottle are without labels but labels do fall off the good bottles in the cooler quite often so it would be easy to mix them up.

I have a novel idea for frozen blocks in the cooler.

Buy 4 L jugs of water, pour a little out the top as they will expand when frozen. Then when the water begins to melt, you have fresh, cold water to drink. No screwing around with other types of containers, no cleaning, just straight forward and logical. Been doing it for years.

Edited by big guy

I used to use Chapman's large ice cream square tubs. Fill to about 2" from the top turn upside down grip the top edge and the ice would pop right out.. The only draw back was having to use up the crappy ice cream first. The chocolate ice cream mixed with chocolate milk made a fair milkshake it was the only way I could stomach the ice cream LOL.

Thanks Burt for the explanation, I'll be given it a try.

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks :D

Edited by Fish Farmer

I use rectangular tupperware containers to create my ice blocks.

I pop the block out of the container and place them in the bottom of the cooler.

x2

If you have trouble getting the ice out....just run some hot water on the underside of the tupperware itself. Blocks rock! Cubes are for rubes! rolleyes.gif