Boaters card

I got asked for a boaters card once. The same day I got a ticket for having the wrong color reflective boat numbers on my lund... installed from the dealer... Red boat. Silver backed sticker with red letters. Clearly visible and reflective too. anyway. 125 dollar fine or something like that. Went to court for that one and got off. out of anger I kept the stickers and painted the boat for the picture I brought in. Stickers have since been replaced though.

Fishing licence was asked for a small handful of time, hunting license or tags, never, gun licence, never, gun reg certs, never.

Here's the new boat the OPP will be using in the Kawarthas.

21' Boston Whaler with a 300 HP Merc.

You won't be outrunning these guys Ernie :lol: :lol:

http://www.mykawartha.com/news/article/1358289--peterborough-county-opp-buy-new-motorcycle-and-boat

must of been the property tax increase this year to cover the cost, really a bosten whaler for the kawarthas is serious overkill and a waste of our tax dollars.

as for out running it if they can follow where i run at 60mph they can lay all the charges they want :rolleyes:

my record was 6 minutes @ 98% for a buddy of mine!

and its people like you that make the card a joke... for every boater that gets a "friend" like you to take the test... thats another uneducated weapon on the water that may hurt or kill my family...

thanks champ...

MM, if that concerns you, what about the 1000's of anglers who simply paid for a PCOC license, never even opening a single test book / website.

Didn't even have to pay an inflated amount, just simply paid, and card send to them via email until the real one arrived.

Two of the folks who offered this service are members of this very board.

Have been checked a few times.

Last time was on Head Lake near Norland.

The CO was in about a 14 ft. boat with 30 hp Mercury.

Nice guy but no one would get away on this smallish lake.

Edited by ehg

Do you really believe that the program has anything to do with safety?

yes and no...

i believe its the government wanting money...

but on the other hand i have friends that knew nothing about boating safety and they studied and passed... now they have at least some common knowledge... they didnt even know what a buoy was before the test... sure i could have done the test for them... but i wouldnt be doing ANYBODY any favors...

LMAO. I paid 45 bucks for a fake saftey for a car in 79. I dare any old timers, tell me they didnt. :jerry:

This thread is as bad as the gun reg.

You all give yer heads a shake.

CASH GRAB

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

EDUCATION

LMAO. I paid 45 bucks for a fake saftey for a car in 79. I dare any old timers, tell me they didnt. :jerry:

This thread is as bad as the gun reg.

You all give yer heads a shake.

CASH GRAB

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

EDUCATION

i agree the government could probably care less about the education side of it...

but some people that are taking the test and studying and learning... and to this guy... thats sees crazy amounts of stupidity on the water all the time... even if a few people out of a hundred learn a bit... thats better then nobody learning anything...

Would you vote for a federal party that instituted a 25 billion dollar program to mandate boating tests done by the federal govt, where you had to apr in person at service canada to get your learners boat permit, then take an in person hands on boating test? If 50 bucks shuts the anti's mouths then so be it. I would bet the liberals would try and sneak that one in for sure.

Let the official flame wars begin.

Edited by jedimaster

In case of flame war, Roy has his Type BC chemical fire extinguisher mounted in an easy to access location below deck. It has been pressure tested within the last five years, and he has instructed all passengers on the proper use in case of fire.

Too bad that isnt in the test eh!

It's amazing how many people have NO CLUE how to use one even with the instructions, lol.

In 2010 during a tournament on Rice Lake, my partner and I noticed a big cruiser smoking quite heavily...we pulled up the minn kota, and booted it over to them, to find their boat was ON FIRE.

They had the extinguisher out...but had NO idea how to use it! We had to jump on board, and put it out for them. First and only time I've had to use my Firefighter training so far, LOL.

Imagine if we hadn't showed up and they had to sit and read instructions WHILE their boat was on fire.... what a joke! These are common sense items that people need to know how to use. Could save your life, along with others.

The way I looked at it was this... I really didn't think I needed to learn anything about boating, since I have been driving one since I was 7 or 8 years old... yikes that is now 30 years of experience lol... but I took it seriously, studied the guide hard, and did very well on the test, I think I only got one wrong answer. I did learn a few things, and one day, one of those things might come into play out on the lake.

My wife does not have her card yet, and wants me to get it done for her online - but I refuse. I really want her to read the guide and do the test herself as she does not have any on the water experience with a motorized craft. You get out of it what you want to... take it seriously and it can only be a good thing. The same goes for my 13 year old - if he wants to drive my boat, he has to do the test first, the right way.

If everyone took the same approach, maybe there would be a few less of those jetskiiers whizzing 10 feet past the end of our dock on Rice while the kids swim there (one was nearly killed a few years back when he lost control...)

To those parents who just do the test for their kids... :wallbash:

Oh, and in response to the original question... I have been stopped 4 times, once they checked my safety gear, the rest they just asked how the fishing was. Never asked for my fishing licence or PCOC.

Edited by Fisherpete

Buddy got stopped on Quinte on the opener and got charged $125.00 for not having his card on him. He left it in his other boat clove box, was the wrong answer. :wallbash: He does have one.

I haven seen any difference since they brought out the card thing. Made a few people richer :whistling:

yes and no...

i believe its the government wanting money...

Government doesn't profit from the operators card, it costs them money. This system is about optics; they're showing they care at the least expense. Not far off the Drive Clean program in Ontario.

I was asked to produce my card this spring to Niagara Regional Police. First time since I obtained it.