Monthly costs to keep a boat

super dave

I’m loosely thinking of getting a boat but I don’t know all the costs involved. Can some of you boat owners chime in on,

Storage costs. I probably won’t dock it. Just store in a lot and pick up when I need to use it.

Insurance costs.

Licensing

And anything else I’m missing.

I’ll probably be looking for a 16 footer, around 50hp, trailer.

Thanks!

your insurance will be 300-400 / year.

storage in the city will run you 80-100 month -- you didnt specify where you live. you could find someone with land and store it on their property for less.

For my 16 footer with a 30, You can have a rider put on your boat if you have house insurance depending on who you're with if your boat is under a certain size. Also if you join ofah you get liability for when your fishing.

I pay 25 dollars a month for gated dryland storage for my boat. In toronto its gonna cost about 100 a month.

For gas I spend about 10-20 bucks a weekend in gas, add oil a few bucks. Add about 20 percent of your fuel mileage for towing.

As for the allimony...

boat-table.jpg

Edited by jedimaster

Everyone here seems to be on point. Storage will have to be based on where you live. Gas and oil of course will depend on usage. You may also want to budget several hundred dollars a year for dealer maintenance. Depending on what you buy and how mechanically inclined you are, this may be a necessity. Newer outboards are like modern cars, they have just go more complicated and computerised. I havent tinkered with mine at all. But thats me.

Liscencing is a couple hundred bucks overall since you will have to get the boat and trailer liscenced. If you buy used, remember you will have to pay GST but you only have to pay it on the trailer so get a detailed receipt. Also, transfer any warranties immediately since they have a short time frame to do so, like 30 days. Learned this the hard way...

Dependant on where you live I have seen outdoor storage for 50-60$/month in my area, but it was a few years back. The cheapest deals will be found by looking at listings on kijiji, etc where people have property and are looking to make some money and not established boat/RV storage facilities. If you got seniors on your street (assuming you live in a house), work out a deal with them to shovel their snow/cut their grass to be able to leave it in their garage/driveway. This is what I did until I bought my own house.

As for maintenance costs, it will depend on how new of a package you buy. I found myself buying a new trailer and putting in easily 3000 into the motor for maintenance over the 6 years i've owned the boat because I bought a well used package.

Gas costs will depend on how frequently you fish and how far you need to travel to fish. I run a 40hp and filling the boat is the least of my worries, its filling the SUV that kills me. To give you an example, when fishing locally, I drive 30min and usually troll. A day like that may cost me 25$ including 5$ boat launch. However if your on the throttle alot then yeah your boat motor will suck the fuel.

When up north, I run WOT constantly when moving spot to spot and go through 25L of fuel every 2 days. I do fish a solid 12+ hours a day though too and don't really move around too far as my spots are fairly close to each other and the lodge. If you plan to fish from a lodge even camping is expensive IMO. Everytime I'm faced with a 350-400$ bill for a weeks worth of camping I want to bash my head off a wall because I have yet to buy a generator and camp on crown land.

Another important consideration is your tow vehicle. Is it capable of towing a boat and can you still expect a few years out of it? If not, are you financially stable enough to afford a tow vehicle when and if the time arises? When I was young, stupid and in school I wanted a boat so bad that I just towed it with my Jetta, endagering my own life and others. I wont get into traction issues at the boat launch.

It has been mentioned here before, BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. If you have breathing room financially, go for it. Life is too short to not do what you want to do :Gonefishing:

For my 16 footer with a 30, You can have a rider put on your boat if you have house insurance depending on who you're with if your boat is under a certain size. Also if you join ofah you get liability for when your fishing.

I pay 25 dollars a month for gated dryland storage for my boat. In toronto its gonna cost about 100 a month.

For gas I spend about 10-20 bucks a weekend in gas, add oil a few bucks. Add about 20 percent of your fuel mileage for towing.

As for the allimony...

boat-table.jpg

This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV's or snowmobiles,

Around the city I paid approx. $500 for 8mths storage with 24 hour access.

Up north, Kawartha area I paid Approx. $1000 a year for the same, but that included 4mths storage of the other boat too.

Thanks for all the tips. If it were up to me, I would have one by now. I asked about the costs so I can justify to the wife. If I can convince her to forgo the $400 salon trips we'll be fine! Lol.

Got the car, cash and some time. Just need a wife that understands our addiction.

Thanks for all the tips. If it were up to me, I would have one by now. I asked about the costs so I can justify to the wife. If I can convince her to forgo the $400 salon trips we'll be fine! Lol.

Got the car, cash and some time. Just need a wife that understands our addiction.

LOL...take it from me bud, wait till that second baby arrives and you can erase "some time" from that list!!!

Insurance should cost around 300$ a year.Storage dunno.gif Oil, filter and gearcase lube 60$.Licence for trailer about 30 bucks, but thats a one time thing.

$300 a year for insurance must be nice to be old like you. with a brand new boat and you only pay that.My boat is a 2008 and I pay $450.