An Interesting Day on the Water

Pikeslayer

Well we had a quiet weekend planned at the lake. Our guests were good friends of 40 yrs and definitely not 'fishing inclined' so I promised Mrs Slayer that fishing would be kept to the minimum :whistling: Besides, apparently we were celebrating a wedding anniversary a few days early ??

So, my first opportunity was after lunch on Saturday. Obviously not prime time but I was grateful for the pass. Even happier that my LLF Dugger managed to join me. At the dock, I noticed a boat in the bay being paddled in by a couple of youngsters. Zoomed over and met Grandpa and the grand kids. Their OB had quit on them and needed to get back to the other end of the lake cause Grandma was probably getting anxious. Tow rope was attached and a short cruise was under way. A couple hundred feet from their dock, buddy 'Eagle Eye' Dugger sees a sailboat flip over on the north side of the lake? Time for quick thinking!! I told the grandson I was going to sling shot them to their dock and come back for the tow rope later. Worked like a charm and put them right on the dock. Full throttle to the sailboat, there in 30 seconds. Good news; one only boater and he had his PFD on. 40 minutes later, after towing and positioning the blow boat (not big, maybe 16') to a sandy area of the lake with a gradual slope and onshore wind, we managed to get the boat into the beach. He and his friend managed to get the boat upright.

So those little adventures basically filled the fishing allowance and being the awesome husbands we are, we headed back to the dock and our loving wives. They thought we were heroes and worshipped us for a few minutes before requesting their wine and cheese to be served.

An eventful day on a quiet lake.

You did good Budclapping.gif

Had 2 boaters hit bottom in the channel between 2 islands down my way.Same place as i wrote about last year.

One busted a prop, but the bigger boat had its lower unit torn off.Tried to warm him, but he just waved backwallbash.gif so, i towed him home...nice and slow.

Well we had a quiet weekend planned at the lake. Our guests were good friends of 40 yrs and definitely not 'fishing inclined' so I promised Mrs Slayer that fishing would be kept to the minimum whistling.gif Besides, apparently we were celebrating a wedding anniversary a few days early ??

So, my first opportunity was after lunch on Saturday. Obviously not prime time but I was grateful for the pass. Even happier that my LLF Dugger managed to join me. At the dock, I noticed a boat in the bay being paddled in by a couple of youngsters. Zoomed over and met Grandpa and the grand kids. Their OB had quit on them and needed to get back to the other end of the lake cause Grandma was probably getting anxious. Tow rope was attached and a short cruise was under way. A couple hundred feet from their dock, buddy 'Eagle Eye' Dugger sees a sailboat flip over on the north side of the lake? Time for quick thinking!! I told the grandson I was going to sling shot them to their dock and come back for the tow rope later. Worked like a charm and put them right on the dock. Full throttle to the sailboat, there in 30 seconds. Good news; one only boater and he had his PFD on. 40 minutes later, after towing and positioning the blow boat (not big, maybe 16') to a sandy area of the lake with a gradual slope and onshore wind, we managed to get the boat into the beach. He and his friend managed to get the boat upright.

So those little adventures basically filled the fishing allowance and being the awesome husbands we are, we headed back to the dock and our loving wives. They thought we were heroes and worshipped us for a few minutes before requesting their wine and cheese to be served.

An eventful day on a quiet lake.

I liked the part where the fish were all clapping at the hero too , way ta go Simone

Did one of those deals last fall in Alaska.

A group of tourists from the lower 48 had borrowed a raft of a local fellow and on their last day on the river they went down a back channel that locals and knowledgeable non-locals :whistling: know to avoid. There were 5 people on the 16' Aire cataraft and they ended up sticking it into a log jam and flipping it. One of the elder gentlemen on the raft was caught under it and nearly drowned even with a life vest on. My buddy and I ended up ferrying them to safety and rescuing the raft the following day. We had to disassemble the raft and move it to a better location. We then let them know to tell the owner where it was and that it had been removed from the log jam. The removal operation took the two of us about 4 hours.

RaftRescue1.jpg

RaftRescue3.jpg

RaftRescue2.jpg

RaftRescue4.jpg

A not so quiet fishing tour for you Pikelayer. You did the right thing in all 3 cases..the broken down outboard...the capsized sailboat and getting back in time to fetch Mrs Slayer and Co...the wine and cheese.

Good on you!

well done !!! :thumbsup_anim::worthy::clapping: i as well have helped many boaters over the years,as well as saved 2 guys in a canoe overturned on the ottawa river,they had PFDS but were not wearing them and they floated away !!! it was not good...cheers to you all of us fishermen are good that way ....

Thx to all for sharing my adventure(s).

Thought I would add "The Rest of the Story":

In a conversation with the wet sailor, he mentioned that he just got the sailboat on the Friday and was "just figuring out how it worked". w00t.gif

Went back for my tow rope just before dusk and found it on the dock. It just happened to be in one of my favourite pike haunts. A quick drop shot with the swammer and BAM!! Nice 5 lb pike within 2 minutes. Let her swim away for another day.

After a few more glasses of wine, Mrs. Slayer warmed up to the idea of hubby being a hero. whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by pikeslayer

Good karma always comes back to you when you help out, good on ya! Totally unrelated, but I once took a fellow out on my boat in the afternoon on Nipissing to go fishing as I felt bad because he wasn't catching much. We put 10+ pickerel in the boat in the afternoon on a HOT summer day. To this day I have not caught that many on Nipissing in an outing.

Glad to ofners steping up and lending a hand.. Its been a while for me but a couple years back a man and his son were stuck out in Cooks bay...towed them into Crates and still had time to go catch a couple more pike in the bay! Kharma i guess:)