Gull Lake, Minden - May 26

johnnyb

As many of you know, I'm lucky enough to have in-laws with a cottage on Gull Lake, near Minden. As many of you also know, I have been UNlucky enough not to land a laker over the slot limit.

Until now!!! Started things out right this year, as I finally got a chance to get back to the in-law's cottage for the first time this year. (No...that's not true...trolled the lake in early spring...but it was a skunfest which I have repressed until now)

Saturday morning I was up early, and had the rigger, rod-holder and sonar clamped to the boat by 6. Surface temps were already up in the mid 60's, and I had a nice section of 40' flat in mind that produced lakers in early summer for me last year.

By 6:25 I had this guy in the boat -- a solid 24 inches of slot-busting laker!!! biggrin.gif

45306_10150975379536201_125927463_n.jpg

Trolled around until 9, but could only get one more hit, which shook itself off on the way up. Nice way to start the season though!

544684_10150975670631201_595006200_12340615_1734312438_n.jpg

I do confess to using the laker as a drift sock...that second pic is light on the EAP and heavy on the WLF (water logged fish) w00t.gif

I'm glad he was over the slot though....pretty much bled to death in the boat just getting the hooks out....absolutely inhaled the spoon and had a case of treble-itis in the gill-ular region

Either you have a small head or its got a huge mouth or your holding it way out. Haha.

Nice catch!! Beats my pb laker hands down

Little bit of EAP going on....but it did have a good sized maw

I have a feeling that fish isn't going to taste very good, lol.

I admit, it looks horrible in that last shot off the dock....but the flesh was pale orange...got smothered in some montreal steak spice, sweet chili peppers, slapped on the grill and drizzled with syrup. Went down just fine thumbsup_anim.gif

I admit, it looks horrible in that last shot off the dock....but the flesh was pale orange...got smothered in some montreal steak spice, sweet chili peppers, slapped on the grill and drizzled with syrup. Went down just fine thumbsup_anim.gif

Nice fish, when my folks had the place in Haliburton we used to get a few Bows mixed in with the Lakers in the spring, they had the most orange flesh of any bow I've caught. If you can figure out a summer pattern for them they would be a good addition to the menue. We always got them where the Gull River dumped in the lake at the north end, but early like May 24 weekend.

Nice fish, when my folks had the place in Haliburton we used to get a few Bows mixed in with the Lakers in the spring, they had the most orange flesh of any bow I've caught. If you can figure out a summer pattern for them they would be a good addition to the menue. We always got them where the Gull River dumped in the lake at the north end, but early like May 24 weekend.

I have a feeling there are a ton of species to be caught where the river flows in....I've heard of many different surprises....would be amazing to pull in a bow! Sounds like some evening flatline trolls are in order this summer....