Accidentaly hooking yourself or someone else

npt1

At some point in all of our fishing careers, we have accidently hooked ourself

or someone else.

Share your stories and the way you got the situation under control.

I made a cast with a Rapala from my boat one day, lure was picked off in mid air

by a sea gull and what an afternoon that turned out to be.

Seasons are just beginning to open, lets be careful out there.

Rick.

When I was alot younger I was up at lake baptiste with my dad and my brother for our yearly boys fishing trip.

It was getting near dark and I started putting loose tackle back in the boxes. My brother was standing up front casting a rapala J13. He made his cast and on the backswing the rear treble hook caught me in the eyelid, luckily it didn't hit my eyeball!

My dad ended up having to cut it out as the barb had penetrated the skin. All we had was a large filet knife that he used while resting it between his thumb and forefinger. To be honest I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to see and my brother was so upset that he vomited.

Everything turned out alright and I ended up with a good story to tell.

actually never had a hook past the barb in anybody on my boat luckily....

been poked by the hook point a bunch of times... been cut buy pike and musky a few times too... hooked tackle bags...cloths and shoes a lot...lol

one time my dad was out musky fishing with our neighbor... he hooked into a mid 50 incher... and this was the fish he decided to try the rapala lip grip on for the first time... turns out these are terrible tools... with one mighty headshake my dad was attached to over 40 pounds of angry musky by several large treble hooks... luckily after one or two headshakes the fish got off and dad was left with some minor redneck surgery to perform and walked away with some minor cuts.... that situation could have gone WAY worse... hes lucky to have the use of that hand...

The younger of my two cousins but a brand new treble from a rattlin rap in his thumb getting out of the boat on our last trip....in past the barb and poking out again, luckily not too deep. Removed the loose treble, then cut the two prongs off the offender....snipped the pointy exposed end off, and backed the rest of it out. Surprisingly little blood, and luckily a brand new hook. Polysporin, bandaid, and all good.

Couple years ago, we had 2 dogs rip-roaring around the cottage....chased eachother down to the dock, and one slides into the boat. Snaps a rod, snags a hook to the chest....thankfully just through the skin. Same deal...cut and back it out....but this time supply the patient with a continuous feed of cheese to keep her still. I think she was disappointed when it was over whistling.gif

Lesson for us: DON'T TELL YOURSELF THAT YOU'LL PUT THE HOOKS AWAY LATER....TAKE THE 5 MINUTES TO DO IT NOW!!!

I've buried a hook in myself so many times removing it is like blowing my nose. First time it was a rapala in my calf climbing down a steep hill when I was sixteen. Removed by a doctor after a 3 hour wait. Next time was first day in residence at the University of Windsor. Couldn't wait to get down and fish under the Ambassador Bridge. One of my little plano tackle boxes had spilled in my duffle and when I reached in BAM Mepps embedded in my hand. Hook removed after a 2 hour wait by campus doctor. Both times they gave me a local and just pushed the point through, cut off the barb and removed the hook. Next time it happened I had caught a snot rocket and was holding him behind the head when he slipped out of my hand and the rapala with pike still attached and thrashing went into the web of my thumb and index finger. I decided I wasn't waiting all that time for a DR to remove it so just pushed the barb through myself cut the hook right there on the side of the river and kept on fishing. Now I mostly fish barbless not only do the fish release easier but so do I.

A total non-outdoorsy buddy bought a dollar store jerkbait and was going to smoke all us avid anglers at fishing on a boyz weekend.

Literally first cast he hooked his drunken self in the arse. He honestly beleived he hooked into a fish and was trying to set the hook and each time he yelped. Must of set 3 times then the line broke. Thought I was going to die of laughter, I can barely type this as I remember. Then he turned to me with this paniced look and said and I quote "I lost it, I think it was huge, do you see it?"

I was out of commission for a good 15 minutes.

You can't make that up.

Off to Barrys Bay hospital, good thing we took him while he was still numb.

Edited by Harrison

I too, have done it far more times than I care to admit!

Two times come immediately to mind, though. A few years ago, I was attaching a lure to the hook holder, when it slipped/missed, whatever, and embedded a hook well past the barb, as my medium weight rod sprung itself straight. No way was I going trek to Parry Sound, and ruin the afternoon, so I set about removing the thing, grabbing the pliers to get it out.

No dice, as no matter how I hauled, the pain overcame my efforts, when I tried to pull it out.

Off to the cottage to enlist the aid of my best friend, using the line around the shank and yank method.

He took one look at me, and all but fainted, tough guy that he is.

I worked on it for a while longer, and finally, we decided to consult a retired doctor we knew of who cottaged not far away.

When we arrived at his place, a dock party was in full swing. We had phoned before, and were expected, and it was nice to be handed a Heineken as we arrived.

The Good Doctor made his way down to the dock, large beer stein in hand, and led me back upstairs to the picnic table outside.

"Let me get my kit" he, said, "I might have some anesthetic." I was delighted!

The doc returned, opened a plastic tackle box, revealing a couple of band aids, and a set of forceps. I was crestfallen....

He then proceeded to yard on the hook, saying, "I hear there's a trick to this", but after a few tries, he pulled it out, and left my finger entact. It didn't feel great, but was better than a road trip to the hospital. We thanked our hosts, after some small talk, and left.

Another occasion was a brutal self-removal at the gas dock of the Moon River Marina. I noticed a lure had become stuck in my rain jacket, and in the process of working it out, I jabbed the thing, again, past the barb. I knew the only thing worse than putting up with horsing it out myself, would be to walk into the marina and face the ridicule of the staff, who I know well, so again, I simply refused to let me problems fester, and hauled it out on my own.

I haven't stuck myself for a few years: hopefully, I'm not due.

I've had to operate 2x in the boat on fishin partners--diff guys

both though got it the same way----trollin cranks---catch a 12 inch shaker pike---try to take hooks out of fish---those fish go snakey---flip around with those extra trebles free---bingo----not fun

Well i have hooked myself twice real good, first time a few years ago flipping docks with a brand new jig... the driver of the boat hit a log or a rock with the trolling motor and BOOM hook right in the thumb.. couldnt feel a thing.. untill i looked at my thumb with the jig hanging off of it. cut a small slit where the barb was.. and pushed the hook down and slowly pulled it out.. worked well thumb wasnt to happy about it..

then actually last week hooked into a snot rocket, using an Xrap next thing you know me and the fish are now hooked together.. and me trying to stop the fish from moving also some how managed getting my pointer finger stuck in the mess... felt as if you i super glued my pointer finger and thumb together with the one treble hook and the other hook still in the fishes mouth.. not the funnest.. i ended up hugging it out with the fish (literally).. and removing the hook.. the real challenge was unhooking my two fingers with my left hand.. the xrap hook actually went in and turned a few times in my thumb, but the hole was big enough i could remove the hook by just pushing down and pulling it out.

A Bystander got hook close to his eyes with a rapala J-13, by a shore angler aiming to catch his salmon .

What exactly Happened:

I just landed a Salmon while I shore fished that day, then went to my car to grab a garbage bag to keep my catch. There was another angler who fished beside me complained that evening that other non anglers behind us have blasted their car sound system and talked so loud. The angler was bothered and irritated the whole time we were fishing, he dropped his 12' rod all the way back behind him during his cast, wanted to ensure those bystanders were far enough to not come any closer.

Just less than 10 minutes, by that time I came back, Ambulance and police arrived to question the incident. I found out that couple of the Bystanders came to look at my salmon that was on the ground while I was away, that was when the angler fishing beside my spot accidentally hooked one guy. The angler called the cop in since he was concern that he might get beaten up by the group of guys. We all left the area after what had happened!

ANOTHER FUNNY STORY: My non-coordinated accountant was never allowed to fish again after he hooked his wife's arm with a crankbait during casting! Can't blame him!

Edited by bassfighter

When I was around 14 years old, I hooked myself in the head with a mepps. My father tried pulling it out with a pair of pliers, which didn't go over well and ended up at the hospital to have it removed.

Was up at the French River Delta a few years back. I was bent over the boat ready to net a pike that buddy had loaded up and the spoon released from the fish right into my wrist (two hooks). That was very close to a large vein, so I proceded to take a disposable shaver apart after trying a knife. Then cut a hole so the point could be punched through on one and cut down to the barb on the other. I didn't realize how tough our skin really is and how low of a pain thresh hold I have when cutting slowly. LOL

Years ago I was casting for muskie with suicks, my brother was at the other end of the boat when I hit him in the head with the lure. No need to remove hooks as they came out with the follow through, just left a nice gash and I got his hat. LOL

A buddy was fiddling around with a LM Bass he had caught on a J12 rapala and in my mind I was thinking he's going to get it with the way he was handling the fish, then low and behold the fish flipped and stuck him in the joint of his thumb. I was able to get the treble off of the lure, had him hold the eye down tight and I wrapped with braided, told him I was counting to three and pulled on two. That hook came right out, but the yelp was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing.

Also almost got it when leaning over the side of the boat to grab a muskie. That little bugger decided to jump and I threw my arm up to protect my face. Finally got the fish in and released it when I realized that there were three punctures on the length of my forearm. That one still gives me those "whatiffs".

I'm actually amazed at how few times I experienced something like this for the amount of fishing I do.

I've hooked myself twice, both times while grabbing small pike with jerkbait all over their faces. Both times I just pulled it out with one quick yank and everything ended up fine. One was close to tendon apparently in the base of the thumb so probably won't be pulling them out without thinking again.

Been there...done that!!! When I was taking the hook out of fish for my buddy, the fish gave a kick and my "buddy" set the hook right into me. Apparently, he also forgot to debarb his hook. I had to poke the barbed end up through the skin then cut the shaft off with linesman pliers. Yes, it hurt.

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

I've hooked myself twice. The first time grabbing a small pike by the back to unhook and he slipped and 3 trebles went into my hand as it shook around. Spiel and Crappiesteve yanked them out and cleaned me up in no time.

Second time I tried to flip a pike into the boat as we forgot the net. Just as it was over the boat it flipped off the homemade 5 odd bucktail I made and the line swung around and embedded itself into my upper arm so deep I could not move it or the tendons and nerves killed. Kevin at Lakair cut the hook. Misfish's wife Betty drove me to emerg and they gave me a local, made another incision and pushed the barb through and pulled it out.

I was sober both times - fun stuff :lol:

I've hooked myself twice. The first time grabbing a small pike by the back to unhook and he slipped and 3 trebles went into my hand as it shook around. Spiel and Crappiesteve yanked them out and cleaned me up in no time.

Second time I tried to flip a pike into the boat as we forgot the net. Just as it was over the boat it flipped off the homemade 5 odd bucktail I made and the line swung around and embedded itself into my upper arm so deep I could not move it or the tendons and nerves killed. Kevin at Lakair cut the hook. Misfish's wife Betty drove me to emerg and they gave me a local, made another incision and pushed the barb through and pulled it out.

I was sober both times - fun stuff :lol:

I get to Canada once a year for 5 days and both times I was there now what are the odds???

I carry a hook remover kit and a pair of cutters that will cut any size hook I will be using that trip. I have also started to pack a can of dust off spray when turned upside down it will freeze the area used with care, you do not want to freeze the skin but it can numb it up for the time needed to remove the hook.

Art

To anyone that fishes musky with large baits, please do not side cast in the boat!

A few times over the years, I have seen someone get a backlash after a vigorous side cast, 30 feet of line goes out - stops suddenly and then comes around and hits or starts wrapping around the other angler in the boat, leaving him with a big bait full of trebles stuck somewhere in his body.:w00t:

I will not let anyone side cast in my boat, they learn to cast overhand.

I get to Canada once a year for 5 days and both times I was there now what are the odds???

I carry a hook remover kit and a pair of cutters that will cut any size hook I will be using that trip. I have also started to pack a can of dust off spray when turned upside down it will freeze the area used with care, you do not want to freeze the skin but it can numb it up for the time needed to remove the hook.

Art

Good to know Art, please bring all that next time we are up there (or wherever we meet for a fishing expedition) :thumbsup_anim:

When I was a youngin around 8 years old, my Dad and his friend were trolling harnesses on a small lake for walleye. At that age I had no clue as to what I was doing (not really any better today, lol). Somehow, my line never even hit the water. After hours and hours, I had this burning sensation in my armpit, and I kept fiddling with it. My Dad asks to take a look, and the hook was imbedded into my armpit???? I don't recall how he got it out? and I probably don't want to know thumbsup_anim.gif.

Around age 22, me and two friends found ourselves stranded way up in the north arm of Rainy Lake. During a shorefish my buddy mishandled a decent size pike and it shook off, the treble hook went in deep into the web of his thumb. No other choice but to "punch" it through. After a few shots of the hard stuff, I nodded to my other buddy, and I punched him in the opposite arm. While he was distracted my other friend pulled the hook through. We cut the barb off and it slid out easily. He still tells of his warrior tale today, lol.

Thats it for me thank goodness. But I will say my glasses have been hit by others casting in the boat, numerous times. I always, always have my glasses on. Accidents happen, and heaven forbid anyone has a treble hook go through and into an eye

Edited by manitoubass2

For the amount of time I spend on the water I actually have very limited experience with this. I once removed a hook from a clients ear, though it wasnt very deep. On thursday I had my second experience when I took a co-worker out pike fishing and he hooked his finger in one side and out the other. That made it easy as the bard was already out and exposed. We snipped the hook and pulled it out. After a dose of hydrogen peroxide, he wanted to keep fishing.

Had a few incidents that required the hook to be pushed through past the barb or the old loop of line trick.

Worst ever (by far) went to lip a bass caught on a rattlin rap, it shoot and sunk a hook under my thumb nail. Dumb me I let go of it and it shook the hook out of my hand...thoughtful of him. Did that hurt though.

I know more than a few guys that fish muskie that have gone barbless for ease of unhooking, both fish and themselves.

About 15 years ago I was lipping a bass and as I grabbed him, he jumped and buried the hook in my finger. Luckily when I lifted him into the boat he came off so at least that was one thing I didn't have to worry about. I tried to remove it but it was buried too deep so I just cut the shank and headed back to shore then into the local clinic in Lakefield.

As I walked in I was met by a doctor who looked at my finger and took me into his office to extract it. He said it was my lucky day as this was his 1st day in his new practice and I was his 1st ever patient.

He said seeing as it was only a bass hook he'd just yank it out and I wouldn't need any freezing.

I told him if he ever expected to meet the 2nd patient of his career he'd better freeze my finger and freeze it good :lol:

We both had a good laff and he froze it and removed it.

Always amazed me how something so small could hurt so much :stretcher:

My uncle hooked into a 10 pound ling with a floating rapala, already dissapointed when he brought it up because he thought it was a monster largie , as he grabs the fish it flips and in goes a new barbed treble hook into his hand which made for a long 3 hour wait at the hospital

Wish I could say I had nothing to relate but back in 07 with PatrickG we were fishing Pike on the T.O. Islands when one I was trying to remove an xrap from decided to go bezerk in my hands. You know the type - not big enough that you take it seriously but heavy enough that it's thrashing can really drive hooks.... welll.....

485480676_f53bb04ba6.jpg

Lesson learned by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Got a few looks crossing the ferry with that in my hand and then going to St. Joes (Thanks to Patrick for all the help on that). Funny thing was that the doc that took care of me had just recently moved down from his practice in Peterborough and said it was nice to see a hook injury again :stretcher:

While on a camping trip in the middle of nowhere with two of my buddies, one being 6'6" 380lbs... my one buddy ties on massive PINK frog with the thick, double weedless hooks on it. He was hoping to land something BIG... well....

With about his 5th cast with that big Pink thing, I hear this loud, snap, slap, yelp and then some "choice" words... I look back to see my massive 6'6" buddy with this huge pink frog hanging from the side of his cheek/ear!

At first, I thought it was "stuck" to him because of the moisture on it, combined with the humid day. After about three seconds, I can see that the huge hook, has indeed gone straight through his ear!

At that time, he also didnt realize that it was actually THROUGH his ear, and he's yanking on it trying to "peel" it from his cheek as he also thought it was just stuck to him. I then proceeded to tell him that it is through his ear with the barb on the other side! He then asked "like, ALL the way through?" I said.. "yup, like a 7" PINK earring!" LOL

I reached down for the camera to capture this moment on film, but as I was about to line up the shot... my (much larger than me) buddy said (in a serious voice) "put the camera down..." to which I gladly agreed! :unsure:

Well, the buddy who made the "cast", decides that he'll just take a pair of pliers and cut off the end of the hook below the barb, and we'll just slide the hook back out........... WRONG!!! As he tried to cut the (thick) hook with the pliers... they slipped and almost ripped my other buddies ear off!

Let's just say that I'm glad we were on crown land with no one else around because people may have been offended by the vocabulary coming from our boat! :whistling:

Once we got him calmed down a bit... we decide to pinch the barb and try and push the hook back through. Well, after a couple tries, it worked! After a quick dose of rubbing alcohol to clean up the "wound", and a few band-aid's... we were back on the hunt for some toothy monsters!

Words can't explain turning around and seeing your massive 6'6" buddy with a huge PINK frog hanging from his ear, and my other buddy standing there in shock, not knowing to "dump or get off the pot"! :rofl2: