Looking for a bass boat!!!!

reelinrolly

I agree with who ever mentioned a tinny with a 20 to 40HP. More bang for your buck. Find something with a high deck and you'll be good to go.

For that budget you'll end up with a 1982 glass boat with the same yr motor. You are better off waiting until you have 10-15g's to spend on a bass boat. IMO.

Then you'll buy a 18ft and the next year you'll get the 2footitis and want a 20ft. ;)

It's a vicious circle!

Don't forget in the states there fishing season isn't 6 months long... There boats run all year... Don't mislead the guy usage. You will use less gas if you don't flog it around obviously. But at half throttle cruising all day in a bass boat with a likely 15 year old or more motor in the 115-150 r range versus a 16 foot tin boat with a 30 or 40 hp motor the gas price jump is pretty stagering. I spend all summer in both and there is a reason I prefish in a tin boat and not a bass boat. And its not for the fun of it. Also towing costs are significantly higher with a heavier boat. Anyway, he is gonna get a bass boat cause that's what he wants and that's what he should get. Its just an fyi that really likely doesn't need to be said, a bass boat eats mor gas than a lot of other boats out there. :)

Don't forget in the states there fishing season isn't 6 months long... There boats run all year... Don't mislead the guy usage. You will use less gas if you don't flog it around obviously. But at half throttle cruising all day in a bass boat with a likely 15 year old or more motor in the 115-150 r range versus a 16 foot tin boat with a 30 or 40 hp motor the gas price jump is pretty stagering. I spend all summer in both and there is a reason I prefish in a tin boat and not a bass boat. And its not for the fun of it. Also towing costs are significantly higher with a heavier boat. Anyway, he is gonna get a bass boat cause that's what he wants and that's what he should get. Its just an fyi that really likely doesn't need to be said, a bass boat eats mor gas than a lot of other boats out there. smile.gif

The boats from Pennsylvannia, New York, Ohio, Illinois, etc. do not run all year and it is still the states. The prices there are very different than here. Hours are hours regardless of where you buy it.

The post was looking for a bass boat.

If someone is looking to buy either a boat or a truck to pull it and their concerned about how much $$$$ they'll spend on gas, then I think their looking at the wrong vehicles.

But that's just my opinion.

X3 on this one. Excellent post.

For 5k, I doubt he is gonna find a boat with a working hour meter. once yuo get into the sunny states further down they will have more hours on them than a comperable boat up here. Just something to look out for. If I was buying a boat I would certainly be doing it in the states though. check the boattrader.com site. It will give you a rough idea of what you can find...

Here are a few examples...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Skeeter-Zx150-101677720

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Nitro-165-Tf-100589483

Just an FYI.

Bass boats come made from aluminum too!!!!

Best of both worlds really. The lower weight of aluminum, better gas mileage out of a smaller engine and the fishability of a glass bass boat. Sure, they aren't as slick and pretty looking but I have found that they get on plane faster and stay on plane at slower speeds which is really nice when the water is really snotty!!! Way better than beating the crap out of your kidneys trying to keep a glass bass boat on step so you can see over the nose.

For what its worth I did a little research on boat trader and yes there are good deals to be had in the states but in my case there is no way you get my boat with a 75 OPTI for 12.5K in the States, most come with the standard 50 hp smoker for that price!!!

Thanks for the plug Landry!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

Get yourself a 16' aluminum fishing boat with a 50hp outboard and you will have it FOREVER......my is 27 years old and runs just like it was NEW....had her out again today (10th time this year) and haven't put a dime into her this year.....last year she was showing signs of overheating but she was 26 then....cost me $300 to have her clean out but really that has been it for 27 years.......can't beat that even with a Ugly Stick....LOL......and she catch LOTS of fish for me....sometimes even bass.... :)

I agree 100 %

A boat like this will sip fuel. Get a 4 stroke and its even better. Not to mention the light weight towing which will also save you in fuel. Fiberglass is very heavy for towing

Buy nothing here (in Canada) that is !!! You can buy a very good boat for that money in the USA... It will not be new or newer models but mid to late 90's forsure....

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

Get yourself a 16' aluminum fishing boat with a 50hp outboard and you will have it FOREVER......my is 27 years old and runs just like it was NEW....had her out again today (10th time this year) and haven't put a dime into her this year.....last year she was showing signs of overheating but she was 26 then....cost me $300 to have her clean out but really that has been it for 27 years.......can't beat that even with a Ugly Stick....LOL......and she catch LOTS of fish for me....sometimes even bass.... :)

Think seriously about what you intend to use it for the majority of the time, and the waters you intend to fish. Like Billy says. I had mine for 20+ years also, if I hadn`t become disabled a new aluminum boat was in the plans.

This vid has been on here before.

PLAY SAFE

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

You should be looking in the U.S.

Things

Good trolling motor. $1000 to $1600

Good electronics 2@ $1000 to $6000

Battery's about $100-170+ per battery. You need 3 and 4 if 36 volt trolling motor. Buy a $49 load tester and learn how to use it.

Buy a compression tester Princes Auto $15. You take all the plugs out screw the compression tester in each cylinder and record. The rule is 10%. Most older motors will be in the 97 -100 if 1 or more are different by 10% leave it.

Have large strait screw drive and pull lower unit oil screws. Lower unit has a very distinct smell anything else run. If white or water it's not a deal breaker $500 - 600 at a shop. Small fillings is normal lot's or chunks is bad.

Take cowling off look at all bolts for signs of wrenches. Head bolts marked it's been apart. Look at recites for quality job. No machine shop work it was a hack job.

Turn steering from lock to lock. If they are cable steer and stiff $300 for cables + installation. I would leave a cable steer the are a bear to drive.

Look past faded Gelcoat that can be buffed up like a new penny. De lamination is costly.

Give the lower unit a real hard shake up and down. Watch transom for movement and look between lower unit and transom. That down tube is full of bearings. Any slop and it's huge dollars to fix.

Theirs more just tired.

I would bet that boat is a scam. you can not buy a 98 tr 20 for 6k. That boat should be priced between 9-12k. There is no phone numbers on that add either.

You should be looking in the U.S.

Things

Good trolling motor. $1000 to $1600

Good electronics 2@ $1000 to $6000

Battery's about $100-170+ per battery. You need 3 and 4 if 36 volt trolling motor. Buy a $49 load tester and learn how to use it.

Buy a compression tester Princes Auto $15. You take all the plugs out screw the compression tester in each cylinder and record. The rule is 10%. Most older motors will be in the 97 -100 if 1 or more are different by 10% leave it.

Have large strait screw drive and pull lower unit oil screws. Lower unit has a very distinct smell anything else run. If white or water it's not a deal breaker $500 - 600 at a shop. Small fillings is normal lot's or chunks is bad.

Take cowling off look at all bolts for signs of wrenches. Head bolts marked it's been apart. Look at recites for quality job. No machine shop work it was a hack job.

Turn steering from lock to lock. If they are cable steer and stiff $300 for cables + installation. I would leave a cable steer the are a bear to drive.

Look past faded Gelcoat that can be buffed up like a new penny. De lamination is costly.

Give the lower unit a real hard shake up and down. Watch transom for movement and look between lower unit and transom. That down tube is full of bearings. Any slop and it's huge dollars to fix.

Theirs more just tired.

Thank you