live mice ok for bait?

As kids we used to use mice as live bait some decades back. We would go out to the boat shed and one of us would chase them out of the stored coils of rope while the other scooped em up with a net. We were going to kill them as a nuisance anyway, so we never though it was a big deal.

We'd hook the mouse under the skin unweighted, toss it out on a float and let it swim about. Didn't take long before a big pike was on the line.

I'm sure the Humane Society would crucify us today.

Time and attitudes change. You didn't pass up an opportunity to use live bait. You didn't pass on an opportunity to bring home a meal.

I have no problem catching fish with lures. When I am portaging a few lakes back and I am limited to how much lures I can bring I always use frogs.

If there was a mouse there I would probably use it. I don't think its worst hooking a mouse over a minnow or hooking.into fish for the fun.

The question about snappin my neck or hooked to death thats stupid lol.

Plus hes not dying from being hooked.

There's no way that catching/keeping frogs is less hassle or easier than bringing in a 6x4x1.5 inch Plano box full of lures...using live frogs is more about tipping the odds in your favour, and less about convenience. Necessity isn't a factor at all.

Given the choice of throwing artificials all day, or splitting my time between catching frogs and actually fishing...there's no doubt in my mind I'd catch more fish using plastics and plugs.

I don't think the question I asked is "stupid". Suggesting the mouse is "not dying from being hooked" on the other hand...

when I was little (11 or 12) my uncle used to take me fishing for pike every so often. I remember him bringing a small box with 'feeder mice' from the pet store as well as your average minnows. I think it is fine to use, I have used live mice and frogs before with fantastic results. toss them out weightless and just let them swim around. I don't see it any different than cutting a worm up and putting it on a hook. I guess it really is personal preference, if you don't feel that putting animals on a hook is good they make some great mouse and frog imitators now too!

That was awesomeclapping.gifw00t.gif

Let's keep in mind bass swallow all of there prey hole, one bite and it's in there stomach, no suffering or anything :whistling:

And if your a P3TA member, then well at least your using the mouse and not wasting it by throwing it in the garbage or compost.

There's many ways your can look at it, but what it all comes down to is your opinion on the subject. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong, and same goes for for people who think it's right.

Personally I don't have a problem with it and have fed them to pets for a good source of protein and vitamins. I haven't used them for fishing and know that I can catch more fish using artificial bait. Although, I know for a fact you would never get a better source of entertainment then when fishing with a live bait you can see scurrying across the surface of the water, and when it all comes down to it... we all do it for the rush, do we not?:dunno:

I know people are going to say, it has to suffer on a hook. I guess some people don't realize that hooking a fish isn't that much more "cruel" then hooking into an animal, it has just became excepted by society.

If people found a way to start hunting fish with guns effectively like they do animals, or hooking and snaring animals like they do fish, would it change anything? It's just the way things are done, you have to be open minded about the situation.

Plus if you are willing to stick mice on your hook on a constant bases, the least of your problems is probably abuse to small varmints :P:sarcasm:

Lol Hunting for fish is already being done and it is socially excepted.

Guy troll around with bows and line hooked to the arrow and they shot carp. I guess its ok though stabbing an arrow through a fish then fighting it.

I would personally try that to. After working in a slaughter house for awhile things don't bug you much.

Edited by Live2fish85

You can use anything (that's legal) for bait while fishing out of YOUR boat...but you sure can't put a hook through a live mouse (or any other mammal) while fishing out of MY boat. You'll also have to stay off my dock, and there's no bed in the camp or seat at the table for you either.

If you've got a problem with me dictating "bait rules" when I take you fishing...you're probably not going to like it when I enforce my catch-and-release policy either.

I guess it comes down to (assuming you're legal) "your boat, your rules."

Hey it's your boat so obviously you make your rules. Doesn't make someone less of a person for using the bait.

I have a place on one of the best lakes for fishing in Ontario, Lake Erie. Boats always there in the water. You are welcome any time to stop by and fish an have a cold one. Even if you don't agree with using live mice.

Is this still going? Holy Lordy people!!!

There was a time when mice and live frogs were the go to bait.Now, because of changeing social pressure, not so much.

Never used mice, but i sure remember as a kid,catching frogs with dad to go bass fishing.Still remember the squeal as we rigged them up.blink.gif

As mentioned, with all the new life like lures and baits on the market, we dont need the live stuff anymore.

If i was stranded in the bush, with a lake nearby, a fishing rod and a box of live mice, you can be darned sure those little suckers are going for a swim. Other than that, SPINNERBAITS ARE MY NEW FRIENDclapping.gifrofl2.gif

Hey it's your boat so obviously you make your rules. Doesn't make someone less of a person for using the bait.

I have a place on one of the best lakes for fishing in Ontario, Lake Erie. Boats always there in the water. You are welcome any time to stop by and fish an have a cold one. Even if you don't agree with using live mice.

Mighty hospitable of you...thanks! If you're planning a trip up north and don't mind bad quad trails that lead to good lakes, PM me.

• 1 month later...

Slightly older thread I know, but I had a thought, has anyone tried using stuffed animals as lures? you know like cat toy mice strapped to a #1 hook?

Why wouldn't you use a lure then? Better hooks, more realistic, etc etc.

I have a couple mouse lures.Never had any luck with them.Probably fishing the wrong fish with them.lol.

I've got a old Heddon Mouse that I catch everything on (Bass, pike, etc).. One of my fav baits to use on those calm summer evenings. Casts a mile as well.