Took a Pike day today

mercman

Me and a Bud planned this day a week ago.St louis in the morning to try a new to us spot.Plus i wanted to try my Spinner Baitsthumbsup_anim.gif Well after today, i have a new goto lure. Spinnerbaits are awesome.Tried a few colors, and Chartreuse/Orange with a Green Slurpy was the ticket today.Fished from 8am till 4 pm when an approaching storm forced us off the water. All in all we caught 12 nice pike, and numerous of an OOS species which we released unharmed without pics .Here are pics of the 2 best of the day. All the fish caught today were on Spinnerbaits.

100_0042b.jpg

Of Ya forgot.This next fish was caught on a lite fly rod, and sone kinda red and white fly.

100_0057.jpg

congrats on the first slime of the year in boat MMclapping.gif , and on a new bait at that. Nice way to start the season. I, like you have barely used spinnerbaits - but after that thread will be giving them more time in the water this year.

congrats on the first slime of the year in boat MMclapping.gif , and on a new bait at that. Nice way to start the season. I, like you have barely used spinnerbaits - but after that thread will be giving them more time in the water this year.

If you are going to use SB, i would suggest you add a stinger hook to them. I did lose a couple of big fish because of short strikes. I could see them follow it right up to the boat and nip at the skirt, then turn an swim away.With a stinger, i would have boated a few more fish.

Way to go! Always very satisfying to catch fish on a new lure....now you've got the confidence in them. One thing I do to all my pike spinnerbaits that have rubber skirts, is take the wire from a twist-tie, and wrap it around where the skirt is secured to the bait. A couple twists, fold it over and trim off the excess wire, it doesn't get in the way and really holds the skirt on for a long time.

So Merc, how did you fish the SB?

Were they hitting it while burning it near the surface? Were you jigging it deeper? Slow???

We were tossing them into the weeds and cattails, and climbing them over fallen wild rice stems.They are awesome for that. The Pike concentraion in this small area was amazing.I think they just finished spawning in the area we were in.

They seemed to work better with a Mr Twister threaded on the hook.Im my case, they loved the Slurpy tails.

All in all, awesome lures. Although OOS, i accidentally caught my PB Bucket mouth, while fishing Pike yesterday. 4.3 lbsohmy.gif

We were tossing them into the weeds and cattails, and climbing them over fallen wild rice stems.They are awesome for that. The Pike concentraion in this small area was amazing.I think they just finished spawning in the area we were in.

They seemed to work better with a Mr Twister threaded on the hook.Im my case, they loved the Slurpy tails.

All in all, awesome lures. Although OOS, i accidentally caught my PB Bucket mouth, while fishing Pike yesterday. 4.3 lbsohmy.gif

You took time to weight it??? Shame on you!sarcasm.gif

Yep, super versatile lures hey? As you try them in some other situations too they'll grow on you.

Nice fish too BTW!!! Congrats!

Couldn't find the big girls today.Water temps are climbing fast.I did find a Walleye hole with the help of MTP.

I'm gonna fish it later this afternoon once the weekend warriors are off the water.

Look at the beek on the second one. w00t.gif

You got some real good advice on your spinner bait thread. Glad to see you gave them a go, and it worked out for ya Paul.

Thanks Brian....gonna give a chatreuse one a go after supper, for walleye.I added stingers to them, and will put a bit worm on it to give it some flavourwhistling.gif