Old 78 records

Headhunter

Hey guys,

Long story short, I just inherited a box of old 78 slate style records... mostly big band era stuff...

Anyone know anything about them. Is there value in them and if so, who would/should I connect with?

I have no use for them personally...

Thanks!

HH

Don't chuck hem out! I have one of these and may take a few, just to see how they sound :)

Mine is a portable unit similar to this.

phonograph.jpg

Ebay might be another place to get an idea of value. There is a 1955 Elvis 78 with the Sun Record Company logo on it going for $585. Now I'm going to have to go home and see what Elvis 78's I have at home.

Thanks guys... I have no plans to toss them out, but I also don't really want to store them for the next 25 to 50 years! LOL

Just trying to find out if they are worth something to someone...

Thanks for the link Old Man...

HH

I'll bet we've got members here wondering what the heck a record is :lol:

LOL Lew... you aint kiddin!

My 8 and 10 year old kids found some old cassette tapes the other day and had no idea what they were...

They also found an old rotary phone I've kept around and couldn't figure out all the wires were for!LMAO

HH

LOL Lew... you aint kiddin!

My 8 and 10 year old kids found some old cassette tapes the other day and had no idea what they were...

They also found an old rotary phone I've kept around and couldn't figure out all the wires were for!LMAO

HH

Years back I would have suggested Kop's Collectables, but they've gone Queen W boutique style. I used to pick up all sorts of rare and eclectic stuff there.

Try Discovery Records.

Edited by bigugli

Years back I would have suggested Kop's Collectables, but they've gone Queen W boutique style. I used to pick up all sorts of rare and eclectic stuff there.

Try Discovery Records.

Thanks, I tried them early but they are closed on Wednesdays...

HH

Perhaps not as outdated as you think. I'm 20 and own a turntable, and have an extensive collection of LP's (many, many milk crates worth), a great deal of which were pressed this side of the millenium. Still the best way to record music, in the sense that it is the most natural recording method (no digital compression).

Having said that, what the hell is a 78? 78 RPM?